Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 130 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A better test will be when the AP blackout days end next month. Then after all those locals see it, let's see how it levels back out.

And I'm happy it leveled out this quickly. It's a modest addition to a park that needs a lot more additions before it's really back on track.

I think WDW rabid AP/frequent visitor fanbase drove the initial crowds. But unlike FoP, it had nothing to do with the ride itself being good. And everything about doing a new thing and (importantly) being among the first to do it.

Without top quality, the crowds were never going to maintain. TSL is exactly what it was designed to be.... Fine.
Also, perhaps they built the land too old for the targeted demographic. I really never thought of it until I read the article from the eye's of an 8 year old. That keyed me to recall that I was afraid to ride coasters of any sort until my mid teens. Bet there's a ton of 5 to 12 year olds in that same mode. Pandora still gets the crowds due to it having a wildly popular ride. But TSL still has the same fault of NFL & Pandora, namely not much to do or experience outside of the rides. Hopefully Disney finally gets it right with GESWL on building a Potter type immersive land, namely have lots to do and experience 'besides' the rides.

Reactions: jtsalien
Also, perhaps they built the land too old for the targeted demographic. I really never thought of it until I read the article from the eye's of an 8 year old. That keyed me to recall that I was afraid to ride coasters of any sort until my mid teens. Bet there's a ton of 5 to 12 year olds in that same mode. Pandora still gets the crowds due to it having a wildly popular ride. But TSL still has the same fault of NFL & Pandora, namely not much to do or experience outside of the rides. Hopefully Disney finally gets it right with GESWL on building a Potter type immersive land, namely have lots to do and experience 'besides' the rides.

AKA more merch for kids to beg Mom and Dad for haha

Were all of these turquoise umbrellas present when the land opened?

Not as many, but there were a lot along the Slinky Dog queue on opening day. They’ve added a few.

I have to imagine they’ll have to build some form of permanent shade eventually. It could be simple like the giant uno cards but made to create shade.

Last edited:
Not as many, but there were a lot along the Slinky Dog queue on opening day. They’ve added a few.

I have to imagine they’ll have to build some form of permanent shade eventually. It could be simple like the giant uno cards but made to create shade.
They need all the shade and covering they can get. I was there during a horrible downpour and practically nobody in the area had any place to go for cover. We all ended up soaked...and then when the sun came back out, we were all baking. Shade and trees are a must.

If you have a FastPass for a ride that's down, you're allowed to exchange it for an operating ride anywhere at anytime (with some obvious exceptions such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). My guess is everyone who had FP+ for Toy Story Mania is cashing them in at Slinky Dog.

If you have a FastPass for a ride that's down, you're allowed to exchange it for an operating ride anywhere at anytime (with some obvious exceptions such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). My guess is everyone who had FP+ for Toy Story Mania is cashing them in at Slinky Dog.

I think Slinky Dog might be an exception for thise replacement fast passes

Thankfully, no wait times for me here at home. I have always wanted to go down there around this time (typically burning off vacation days to not lose them) but I can't begin to fathom how to deal with those crowd levels. Mrs. Bum thought that Disney wouldn't be busy but I showed her the TouringPlans' prediction. With all that being said, it would be nice to see actual green grass and trees with leaves, as opposed to the faded green.

Re: Toy Story Land, I can only imagine that this land is almost unbearable. Since it is a dead-end, once you are in, you only have one way to leave.

Reactions: tielo and Coasted
Thankfully, no wait times for me here at home. I have always wanted to go down there around this time (typically burning off vacation days to not lose them) but I can't begin to fathom how to deal with those crowd levels. Mrs. Bum thought that Disney wouldn't be busy but I showed her the TouringPlans' prediction. With all that being said, it would be nice to see actual green grass and trees with leaves, as opposed to the faded green.

Re: Toy Story Land, I can only imagine that this land is almost unbearable. Since it is a dead-end, once you are in, you only have one way to leave.
The alternative. Go in early December, enjoy the festive holiday events, see the green trees.....and avoid the crowds and higher holiday priced hotels.

The alternative. Go in early December, enjoy the festive holiday events, see the green trees.....and avoid the crowds and higher holiday priced hotels.

That's probably 2019 or 2020 (since I'm on a self-imposed restriction for 2019). We went the second week of November this year and it was great. The only negative was that the Wilderness Lodge wasn't decorated yet and that was my primary goal. Second week of December, it would have been decorated for a while.

Reactions: Mad Dog
That's probably 2019 or 2020 (since I'm on a self-imposed restriction for 2019). We went the second week of November this year and it was great. The only negative was that the Wilderness Lodge wasn't decorated yet and that was my primary goal. Second week of December, it would have been decorated for a while.
I'm thinking early November for next year's second Orlando trip. I want to avoid the bad weather early fall cycle the southeast seems trapped in, plus I don't want to be at Universal when HHN is running. And it should still be warm enough for decent pool time.....I really didn't care much for Toy Story land and Slinky when I was there in Sept. Seemed like a waste of a really large space (11 acres), similar to Universal wasting a smaller (3 acres), though still large lot , with F&F. ....2017: The waste of valuable theme park space year.

Reactions: SkiBum
I'm thinking early November for next year's second Orlando trip. I want to avoid the bad weather early fall cycle the southeast seems trapped in, plus I don't want to be at Universal when HHN is running. And it should still be warm enough for decent pool time.....I really didn't care much for Toy Story land and Slinky when I was there in Sept. Seemed like a waste of a really large space (11 acres), similar to Universal wasting a smaller (3 acres), though still large lot , with F&F. ....2017: The waste of valuable theme park space year.

Early November had great crowds except for one day. Just schedule around Veteran's Day.

Toy Story Land is a waste of space or, rather, an inefficient use of space. I'm no expert on amusement parks but, when you look at DHS overall, it has such a weird flow. TSL continues that in some ways, although linking it with SWL should help, provided that the crowds ever let up enough to actually allow people to move through. However, even then, the park will resemble a kidney on that side from a pathway perspective. Well, kind of an odd kidney. Still, no way to link up easily with the other side. Hub/spoke allows a lot more flexibility. Even allowing that TSL was a filler, it just doesn't quite do the job. I liked Slinky myself, although the wait was annoying. Stupid FP+ clustered again. However, the coaster could have been condensed somewhat and allowed room for another ride.

A true Pixar Lane would have been great with dark rides from the various movies. Kind of like DHS' version of Fantasyland. Oh well. Doesn't really do much good to gripe as it is what it is (which is basically a polite way of saying, "Dude, you're screwed!").

Reactions: Coasted and Mad Dog