TWDC Investor Day (12.10.20) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

TWDC Investor Day (12.10.20)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Acolyte is set during the end of the High Republic I believe, around 100 years before Episode 4. Which means Darth Plagueis or Palpatine could be fair game...

I hope that's not the direction they've chosen.
If I was betting money on a character that would be in this show, my money is on Yoda. Not as a main character (although possibly a "villain" to the Sith we follow?), but simply in the series. I'd be shocked if he's not in this.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Acolyte is set during the end of the High Republic I believe, around 100 years before Episode 4. Which means Darth Plagueis or Palpatine could be fair game...

I hope that's not the direction they've chosen.
Hate to be the nerd...but it's 200 years before the Skywalker saga. So I don't think we will be seeing either of those characters but maybe is still connected to them in someway...like he trained the sith would would be the master of Plagueis
If I was betting money on a character that would be in this show, my money is on Yoda. Not as a main character (although possibly a "villain" to the Sith we follow?), but simply in the series. I'd be shocked if he's not in this.

For sure we will see Yoda...I kinda wonder if in a way this will be his Origins maybe not this show but the books and what not set in the high order

The High Republic books that are releasing are set 300 years before the prequels, I think that the acolyte is said to have happened later on so like 150 years possibly. That gives enough time for Plagueis if they go down that route.

Blue sky:

Yoda could set up the main conflict. He doesn't develop a nuanced perspective of the force till season 6 of the Clone Wars, and we've seen that both his and the Jedi Council's complacency and stringent devotion to Jedi ideology set Anakin on his own turn to the dark side. The main character could be among the first to chafe against Jedi tradition. Frustrated, they go on a journey to rediscover the lost legends and teachings of the Sith. That premise could lend itself well to an episodic structure that builds into a larger arc: the failure of the Jedi to prevent the return of the Sith, despite the Sith's total destruction centuries prior.

I think if I had to pick the most surprising thing from today, it's that Boba Fett DIDN'T get announced when supposedly that show is at the very least in pre-production. We also heard nothing about the Monsters Inc Animated show which I thought was interesting. Enchanted 2 was a nice surprise and Lightyear was also a surprise.

Oh, and how could I forget Fantastic Four! Although a part of me wishes they just didn't announce it since they had nothing else to announce except that it's happening. Also nothing really much more on Moon Knight or Blade, which are two shows i'm excited for, but I need more information on because those shows need to be dark imo and. I just hope the tone isn't limited or anything by being on Disney+. I mean, an 18+ section is now a thing internationally, so maybe we can make those TV-MA...? Pretty Please? I know it won't happen, but here's to hoping.

I think if I had to pick the most surprising thing from today, it's that Boba Fett DIDN'T get announced when supposedly that show is at the very least in pre-production. We also heard nothing about the Monsters Inc Animated show which I thought was interesting. Enchanted 2 was a nice surprise and Lightyear was also a surprise.

Oh, and how could I forget Fantastic Four! Although a part of me wishes they just didn't announce it since they had nothing else to announce except that it's happening. Also nothing really much more on Moon Knight or Blade, which are two shows i'm excited for, but I need more information on because those shows need to be dark imo and. I just hope the tone isn't limited or anything by being on Disney+. I mean, an 18+ section is now a thing internationally, so maybe we can make those TV-MA...? Pretty Please? I know it won't happen, but here's to hoping.
The fact that the Monsters Inc show wasn't mentioned makes me think its canned. It's possible that the show was taking a direction that was no longer in line with what we're seeing with today's announcements, which had IPs shepherded by the same production houses that originated them, presumably at a level of quality matching film rather than television animation.

Amidst all the excitement I forgot to mention the visceral disgust I felt seeing Homer Simpson trotted out, again, for blatant promotional purposes.

I feel like we missed this amidst everything:
From CNBC, "The company said it now expects to see between 230 million to 260 million subscribers to Disney+ by 2024".

This is an update from the rather conservative 60-90M that they originally set out for by 2024.

Amidst all the excitement I forgot to mention the visceral disgust I felt seeing Homer Simpson trotted out, again, for blatant promotional purposes.
Yeah, they really seem to want to ram it home that Disney owns The Simpsons now.

Yeah, I mean I guess they could be saving the announcement for Celebration next year but considering the reception to him and the Mando Episode no clue on how the show isn't green lite. People wanted the character back and he delivered so not sure if this is just something they want to announce at a D23 or Celebration or what.

Monsters I think could be dead....I didn't need the show but I really connected with Monsters Universities story so I was open to more from those characters. But who knows maybe they are saving it as well.

For sure Moonnight and Blade will get updates at the next D23 and I think we will also see Miss Marvel in action by then as well.

Yeah, I mean I guess they could be saving the announcement for Celebration next year but considering the reception to him and the Mando Episode no clue on how the show isn't green lite. People wanted the character back and he delivered so not sure if this is just something they want to announce at a D23 or Celebration or what.

Monsters I think could be dead....I didn't need the show but I really connected with Monsters Universities story so I was open to more from those characters. But who knows maybe they are saving it as well.

For sure Moonnight and Blade will get updates at the next D23 and I think we will also see Miss Marvel in action by then as well.
Perhaps there was just confusion and Boba is just in a lot of Mando Season 3? Idk. I wouldn't make a ton of them not mentioning Monsters Inc show yet as there's actually a lot of previously announced stuff they didn't mention. There was just so much they were talking about. And it would make sense to leave a few things unannounced as they basically blew most of their load for the next few years tonight.

Also, Moon Knight and Blade will likely be out by next D23 lol. Remember, D23 next year got postponed to 2022.

"Botched" is an awfully strong word.

We can quibble with the decision to have the character exist so much in Tony Stark's shadow, but I think Peter's personality is portrayed extremely well. Tobey Maguire's Peter will always be the one I relate to most strongly (because I was a teenager when those first two movies came out), but I think Holland's done a great job in the role.
Agree to disagree. Spider-Man might be my favorite fictional character and the MCU just does not understand him at all. Holland does the best with what he’s got, but what he got ain’t much.

Thankfully from the look of the creative team on MS MARVEL we got, I’m pretty confident on that one

One thing that really got buried at the beginning was when they said Hulu would work with 20th Century and Searchlight for a new slate of films.

Disney certainly has many 20th Century and Searchlight films sitting waiting to be released, so do you guys think that might mean Disney is going to pull a lot of their Fox slate from theaters for Hulu?

Disney certainly has many 20th Century and Searchlight films sitting waiting to be released, so do you guys think that might mean Disney is going to pull a lot of their Fox slate from theaters for Hulu?

Wouldn't they have to buy-out contractual stipulations that say those films go to HBO Max?

Wouldn't they have to buy-out contractual stipulations that say those films go to HBO Max?
I’m unsure of how the contract works, but I think HBO’s contract is specific to movies released in theaters. So if Disney was to say, “this is no longer a theatrical release”, it begs the question of if it could be released directly to Hulu? And I think the answer is “Yes, they can”.

Don’t get confused by The New Mutants, either. That was a special situation as the director had a clause in the contract that it HAD to be released theatrically, which meant it had to go to HBO.

Disney stock was at all time highs yesterday basically, but today it's up almost 14%.

Turns out today is the real Disney investor's day.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Perhaps there was just confusion and Boba is just in a lot of Mando Season 3? Idk. I wouldn't make a ton of them not mentioning Monsters Inc show yet as there's actually a lot of previously announced stuff they didn't mention. There was just so much they were talking about. And it would make sense to leave a few things unannounced as they basically blew most of their load for the next few years tonight.

Also, Moon Knight and Blade will likely be out by next D23 lol. Remember, D23 next year got postponed to 2022.
Then never mind on those shows...by then they might announce the next phase of MCU then