Universal Great Britain | Page 115 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Although both the Labour and Conservative candidates are, understandably, trying to claim some credit, this really doesn't seem like a party political issue on which there is much difference of intention. Both parties will undoubtedly want to see this significant inward investment happen, with all the associated economic benefits that it will bring. If both parties want the same thing it's not really an issue which should influence which way you vote.

Whoever the Conservatives used to layout their leaflet should use a proof-reader to spot the missing word.

Reactions: usfgeek and xtpower
Reactions: Steeb
This quote from Council which may indicate Gov has already made some commitments
“If Universal is approved, and we hope to hear about that later this year, we will require a much bigger station to be constructed – happily at central government expense.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludus
Bedford Council Executive Committee met last night and unanimously approved the current plan for Wixams Station (which includes provision for changing to a 4-platform station from a 2-platform if the theme park goes ahead).

In questions, the senior council officer said he was unable to confirm exactly how much the Council would need to spend if the Universal plan went ahead. Of interest to us, one of the Councillors and the council officer both said the Universal plan was “not yet over the line”.

You can watch a recording of the Council’s Executive Committee meeting here:

[select Agenda item 16]

Although if you’re going to watch a video today, go watch the Epic Universe promo video of Dark Universe rather than Mayor Wotton and his council colleagues! It looks freaking awesome. Counting the months until our next Orlando trip…

There’s a reason I hope Universal Great Britain doesn’t end up with a ‘movie studios’ theme as its central conceit. It’s such a sterile approach to theme park place-making. The future is Epic…

Although if you’re going to watch a video today, go watch the Epic Universe promo video of Dark Universe rather than Mayor Wotton and his council colleagues! It looks freaking awesome. Counting the months until our next Orlando trip…

There’s a reason I hope Universal Great Britain doesn’t end up with a ‘movie studios’ theme as its central conceit. It’s such a sterile approach to theme park place-making. The future is Epic…
Maybe Universal Studios Great Britain could be a mix of both a "movie studios" park and Epic Universe/Islands of Adventure? Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Reactions: OrlLover and Steeb
Maybe Universal Studios Great Britain could be a mix of both a "movie studios" park and Epic Universe/Islands of Adventure? Seems like a fair compromise to me.
Yep the UK is not some proven test market for this type of theme park.

They don’t need to go crazy with the concepts like they can do in Orlando.

Make it unique to the local area but it also retains some classic Universal Studios elements that have defined their parks for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elijah Abrams
But why compromise at all? Mark Woodbury, current CEO of Universal Destinations and former President of Universal Creative, has said that the company lives by the ethos that the next thing they create has to be better than what came before it. That sounds like a wonderful principle on which to run a creative company, and one I very much hope will underpin all that they do for Universal Great Britain. I think the traditional approach to a ‘movie studios’ theme park limits the creativity which can be employed in making immersive places in which fantastical stories, rides and attractions can be located.

How many people think that USF is really up to the standards set by IoA and now Epic? Does anyone get much joy from walking around the large, feature-less faux studio buildings in the front half of USF? Look at Disney’s re-themeing and even re-naming of their Studios park in Paris. I thought that park was a disappointment right from my initial visit during the shareholders’ preview, in large part because of the sterile ‘movie studios’ theme.

Last edited: