Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Increases Ticket Prices

It is a bold move but I am not terribly bothered by it for 1. I am an annual passholder and still get my money's worth out of the deal every year.

2. I feel they are keeping up with their product and upgrading/improving when they can to keep it fresh and going for big things. If WDW did this tomorrow I would be even less likely to return because I feel the resort has not even upkept many things to keep me interested in going back right now.

The studios just added a new night time show, parade and is about to open up a new attraction that will be much better and a bigger draw than the one before it. They also have more in the works. It is clear they are investing back in the park as well as things like City Walk so I constantly am seeing a return investment and incentive.

WDW raised ticket prices twice last year. Out of all four parks, one park saw something new: Star Tours at DHS.

See my above statement. They're not greedy, they're a completely logical business.

I'm not complaining that the price went up. I was commenting on how news like this is usually greeted. People whine, moan, groan, complain, say the company is being greedy, swear they are never going again & that this is the last straw, then they go the next day LOL.

I always expect the price to go up. However, there will be a time when the guests do say enough is enough. We haven't reached that point yet.

I think if they genuinely thought it would affect their attendance they wouldn't have done it. People will still vacation and if you've put aside 3 or 4k for a vacation the extra couple $$ you might spend seems minimal.

Exactly. The fact that most Disney resorts are booked full within two weeks before the current day is a perfect example.

WDW raised ticket prices twice last year. Out of all four parks, one park saw something new: Star Tours at DHS.

WDW raises ticket prices what seems like every year. :mickey2: Technically MK is receiving that massive FL overhaul that won't be completely finished until 2014, but it's a huge expenditure now nonetheless. EPCOT is also revamping Test Track, but I don't recall how much (percentage-wise) they're putting into it in relation to GM.

I'm not complaining that the price went up. I was commenting on how news like this is usually greeted. People whine, moan, groan, complain, say the company is being greedy, swear they are never going again & that this is the last straw, then they go the next day LOL.

I always expect the price to go up. However, there will be a time when the guests do say enough is enough. We haven't reached that point yet.

Of course there's a point where the guests won't pay; that's how basic supply and demand works. As long as Universal keeps their prices near market equilibrium, which they seem to be doing, they'll make a profit and guests will still be happy to come through the gates every morning.

Last edited:
WDW raises ticket prices what seems like every year. :mickey2: Technically MK is receiving that massive FL overhaul that won't be completely finished until 2014, but it's a huge expenditure now nonetheless. EPCOT is also revamping Test Track, but I don't recall how much (percentage-wise) they're putting into it in relation to GM.

But Disney is doing the price increases backwards. You don't make the people going now pay for unopened attractions that future guests will enjoy. You raise your prices when the guests paying the higher price can actually ride the new ride. I mean, it's not like Disney is strapped for cash and has to increase admission price or they wouldn't be able to build anything new. The DisCo. is a $40B Multinational Corporation. And they are become experts at making people feel ripped off and that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Basically nothing. GM is doing the heavy lifting. If it wasn't for them this wouldn't be happening.

I knew Disney wouldn't be throwing a dime at it if they didn't have to, I just didn't know how many dimes they happend to be throwing at this one.

But Disney is doing the price increases backwards. You don't make the people going now pay for unopened attractions that future guests will enjoy. You raise your prices when the guests paying the higher price can actually ride the new ride. I mean, it's not like Disney is strapped for cash and has to increase admission price or they wouldn't be able to build anything new. The DisCo. is a $40B Multinational Corporation. And they are become experts at making people feel ripped off and that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Oh I never said it was the right thing to do, I'm just trying to find a logical reason for raising prices other than the fact that people will still pay them. :mickey2:

Well we can't pretend like the operating costs stay the same each and every year :shrug:

As a consumer, I don't give a flip what their operating expenses are, or what they tell the stockholders. I simply care whether cost and value jive.

And if another Pixie Duster says, "Well they are a business....". Yeah, a $40B multinational corp. who'se executive team makes enough in Christmas bonuses to feed a third world country.

As a theme park fan, price increases don't bother me as long as there is significant investment to back it up. I realized when I became a fan of the industry that prices are going to be high.

as a consumer, i don't give a flip what their operating expenses are, or what they tell the stockholders. I simply care whether cost and value jive.

And if another pixie duster says, "well they are a business....". Yeah, a $40b multinational corp. Who'se executive team makes enough in christmas bonuses to feed a third world country.

lol.

I can't overstate that if I didn't have the privilege of living in Orlando and work for both WDW and UOR, I'd rarely (if ever) go to the parks. The prices are getting ridic. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a vacation, I'd prefer somewhere scenic where I can hike or ski. Or a place like Cedar Point where there are real coasters. Or out of the country. Point is, I'm very fortunate to live/work at these places and, for those who make the high-priced trek down here, kudos. You're better people than I am.

I can't overstate that if I didn't have the privilege of living in Orlando and work for both WDW and UOR, I'd rarely (if ever) go to the parks. The prices are getting ridic. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a vacation, I'd prefer somewhere scenic where I can hike or ski. Or a place like Cedar Point where there are real coasters. Or out of the country. Point is, I'm very fortunate to live/work at these places and, for those who make the high-priced trek down here, kudos. You're better people than I am.

With a Universal AP, staying at hotels you find deals on with Kayak, and cheap flights from my area airport, it's really not bad at all, IMO.

As a consumer, I don't give a flip what their operating expenses are, or what they tell the stockholders. I simply care whether cost and value jive.

And if another Pixie Duster says, "Well they are a business....". Yeah, a $40B multinational corp. who'se executive team makes enough in Christmas bonuses to feed a third world country.

And like every other corporation in America, they don't give a flip what you think if millions of other people think cost and value jive.

So because I understand they're trying to turn a profit I'm a Pixie Duster? I never said I thought their increases were justified as what they were. But simply because of inflation you can justify a dollar or so a year.

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend this is Fun Spot vs. Big Bad Disney. Comcast isn't exactly struggling either, and could afford to hold prices steady. But they're a business and they earned a right to earn as much as they can. Even if they don't plow the revenue directly back immediately, any money they make means only good things for the company and thus the parks.

Amusement parks are cheap. Theme parks aren't. I understand that I'm paying a premium for a certain level of entertainment. And if you don't want to pay top dollar, you're not going to get top product.

Oh, don't get my rant wrong, I don't care who raises their ticket prices. But you have to be able to justify them to me. Disney has been coasting for a long time now, and they have finally decided to at least make it look like they are trying by serving up "the largest (read impressive) expansion in The Magic Kingdom's history" centered around a 1960's tech dark ride and a pretty new restaurant. Way too little, way too late.

But as the TEA numbers today proved it is the #1 theme park in the world. It amazes me how Disney's audience is so bullet proof.

Oh, don't get my rant wrong, I don't care who raises their ticket prices. But you have to be able to justify them to me. Disney has been coasting for a long time now, and they have finally decided to at least make it look like they are trying by serving up "the largest (read impressive) expansion in The Magic Kingdom's history" centered around a 1960's tech dark ride and a pretty new restaurant. Way too little, way too late.

But as the TEA numbers today proved it is the #1 theme park in the world. It amazes me how Disney's audience is so bullet proof.

Well you have to consider the general audience doesn't see the parks like we do. A lot of people don't get to visit the parks as often as we do. Walt Disney World has been, and likely always will be a milestone destination for families. Whether new things are added or not, most people will still want to go. Now, if things continue to diminish in quality like they have, and people are unhappy after they go, that may change things. They need to at least maintain what they do have. (I know they're working on that now, but it slacked off for way too long). People will complain about prices before they go, but after most families go they come away satisfied and forget about what they paid.

And the numbers seem to say, that people aren't neglecting all of WDW to see Universal yet. They're likely adding on IOA instead of other days spent at DHS or DAK.

Yes it is true WDW's attendance is almost bulletproof is a good term as I believe Disneyhead above put it, but one thing we should point out is Guest spending is not.

Disney's guest spending is still very healthy because it is Disney and they know how to cram and synergize but it is not exactly growing at strong amounts in the parks in recent years.

Compare that to Universal's guest spending average with along with attendance is well on the rise. So from a business progression standpoint. Universal is on the rise, at WDW is relatively on a plateau of laurels.