Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, based on a certain tweet quoted in the Blue Sky thread, it looks like we might be getting some "fantastic" news next week. While I have no idea if that's true or not, I figured it was time to share some information I've been digging up that basically confirms at least one land in Fantastic Worlds, (not that it will come as any surprise) and should help with piecing together the larger puzzle that is Project 304.

So first, some brief context/background info. As we know, Universal assigns project numbers to everything. Project 887 was the overall project number for Beijing Park 1. All the lands of the park were separated into zones, and when each zone was sent out to bid, each had its own project number. They used project numbers in the 700 range - for example Project 712 was Jurassic World, I believe.

It appears Universal is doing the same thing for the development of Fantastic Worlds - Project 304 is the main project number for the overall park, and each individual land is getting a 900 series project number. There have already been some 900 series project number permits for the back of house work, as can be seen here:

ojOVg3Q.png

Today, I managed to stumble upon the resume of a Concept Designer who does a lot of work for both Disney and Universal, and they just happened to have a nice long list of all the projects they've worked on for Universal Creative:

qeTm7ey.png

Some of those numbers will look very familiar - others not so much. The most interesting ones to me are Projects 903 and 905. I wasn't able to find much on Project 903, but some people on Linkedin are working on Project 905 and have had some very telling other gigs and live in a very specific part of the world:

7uqhzrO.png

---------------------
e3JWhxF.png

---------------------
Op1125K.png

You may recall a very similar situation happening when Project 722 permits started getting filed - many people with Project 722 listed on their Linkedin's also worked on Harry Potter films and also were working at Leavesden Studios. So I think it's a pretty safe bet that Project 905 is the Fantastic Beasts land in Fantastic Worlds. Again, it's not really anything we didn't already know, but at least we now we have some fairly concrete evidence of its existence, and a project number!

So anyway, I hope some of you find this interesting - I know it doesn't tell us much in the grand scheme of things, but at least we now have specific things to look out for in the future!

That is some seriously impressive detective work, thank you!

Just read an article about how theme parks now make up 1/3 of NBCUniversal's income at this point. Pretty amazing how tides have turned and what was once seen as an expendable unit of Comcast has turned into a growth leader and a major contributor to their operating income!

Full speed ahead with investing and growing the business!!!

Theme parks are big moneymakers

THE LAST JEDI at least has some devoted fans. I am not one of them, but they exist, and in decent numbers.

I don't know that any such people exist for GRINDELWALD.

TLJ fan here (minus the whole Canto Bight portion - my imagined rewrites would have been better there). Grindelwald just sucked. Grindelwald himself is meh so far. The only character I'd say makes me interested in the next movie(s) is Credence (partially because I think Ezra Miller is *cough* fantastic) - every one else is just another name and face.

Just read an article about how theme parks now make up 1/3 of NBCUniversal's income at this point. Pretty amazing how tides have turned and what was once seen as an expendable unit of Comcast has turned into a growth leader and a major contributor to their operating income!

On a related note, thank goodness for Potter. The Boy Who Lived is also The Boy Who Saves Theme Parks.

I would have said "The Boy Who People Will Give Up Lots of Time and Money, Thus Making Great Ticket, Merch, and Food Sales, and Also Pushed Excellent Theming", but that would have been too long of a title.

The Fantastic Beast movies aren't close to the level of Potter but I like how imaginative they are. I loved the circus in Paris and each Ministry of Magic is memorable and the inside of the suitcase looked amazing. Also the creatures look great and it helps that I love the time-frame it is set in. I hope the story will become much better going forwards but for a theme park land there is a lot to pick from and a unique theme park story will probably be created.

I thought The Force Awakens was alright but I really wanted to love the movie and I didn't. I disliked TLJ very much and have no intent to see the next Star Wars movie or it should get amazing reviews. I hope it will be amazing cause I want a really good Star Wars movie.

Reactions: belloq87 and Mike S
Comcast Theme Parks Q2 earned 7.5% higher than last year. Brief mention of Nintendo/Orlando.

Considering each year/quarter has only seen growth for them, this is exponential. (Last year was a Q2 growth of 3.6%, this 7.5% is on top of that.)

Hollywood and Orlando are doing great this summer.

You prefer GE or Blackstone? Maybe we should sell of some more land so we can surround UOR with apartments.

The “/s” means end sarcasm. The post was a joke.

The “/s” means end sarcasm. The post was a joke.
Whoops! Thank you.

The Fantastic Beast movies aren't close to the level of Potter but I like how imaginative they are. I loved the circus in Paris and each Ministry of Magic is memorable and the inside of the suitcase looked amazing. Also the creatures look great and it helps that I love the time-frame it is set in. I hope the story will become much better going forwards but for a theme park land there is a lot to pick from and a unique theme park story will probably be created.
I agree with all of this, but to add, Dumbledore will be an integral part of the following movies and a beloved character from the HP universe. I'd be very happy and not surprised if he gets his own (well deserved) attraction at FW. This would then throw in high character name recognition with a well known actor (Jude Law).

Last edited:
Reactions: allaboutthatchase
What you describe are indeed good things.

What the main complaints are about though is the story and apparent lack of care for continuity.

Yes....and, a teaser, from Steve Burke, NBC Universal CEO..."We'll be talking more about investment in the state of Florida".

Reactions: allaboutthatchase

If this announcement is for the new park, I’m curious to see how much detail they go into considering how vague most initial announcements have been in the past. I’m thinking they go into a decent amount of detail for one land and just announce the names of the rest.

Reactions: twebber55
You're completely right. Compare 2019 Q2 at $1.46 billion revenue for their theme parks, to 2011 Q2 at $147 million, essentially a ten times increase over 2011.

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the full acquisition of USJ and fluctuation of the Japanese currency. But Harry Potter + other theme park investment, as well as a booming tourism industry worldwide make the significant impact.

These are the kind of numbers you want to see when deciding to pour billions more into investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.