Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 235 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God. It's gonna suck if Pokemon is only a miniland
I'll be fair that compared to the worlds of Mario and Zelda, there's not as much iconic placemaking/architecture for the world of Pokemon. So a more condensed land wouldn't be the worst thing ever. As long as it has an elaborate dark ride, a Pokemon Center gift shop, and some sort of interactive experience, I think we're good. Anything else such as dining or flat rides would just be gravy.

I'll be fair that compared to the worlds of Mario and Zelda, there's not as much iconic placemaking/architecture for the world of Pokemon.

Pokemon Centers? Pokemarts? Nurse Joys? Pokemon Gym? Viridian city/forest, The whole of the Kanto region? My memory is a little rusty, but It is extremely hard for me to imagine it would be that hard for them, between umpteen games and television shows and movies to source a recognizable visual style for several pokemon areas.

There is definitely a recognizable architectural style at the very least.

The only issue I see with Pokemon is the split in the fan base between "genwunners" and fans of the whole franchise. But when you have a franchise rivaling Stars Wars and Harry Potter in popularity and the possibility of selling infinite plushes, I think that can be worked around. Comparatively, Marvel doesn't really have any landmarks but the characters are able to support the land. I'm sure Pokemon would work similar.

Plenty of architecture and building for Pokémon. Pokecenters, pokemarts, safari zones, professor oaks.
Yes, Pokemon Centers are very iconic and distinctive designs. But Gyms and Safari Zones don't exactly have a consistent design across the series. They're definitely iconic in concept but in comparison to the worlds of Mario, Zelda, etc., it's not near as visually distinct.

I'm not a big Nintendo fan but I certainly do love the look/feel of the upcoming lands.
Much like myself with Potter. Not a potter fan, but what they created and will create is great for the theme park atmosphere. It draws the casual person in the immersiveness. Nintendo will do that to all races and genders and ages of people. This will be great.

So they found a settlement?
Universal's lawyers filed a subpoena motion after the mediation which leads me to believe they aren't that close on terms; I said earlier, but this is likely to go right up to when the judge decides at trial next year and both sides have more to lose. Though the lawyer $ are piling up for Stan Thomas, but he's assuming I suppose that Universal will cover those easily as part of any settlement.

I think it is time to ask zg44 to merge the contiguous lands in yellow to the purple. Leave the disparate yellow, yellow.

Having this done will allow each of us to submit our designs for the entire south resort. The fun part is that it won’t cost a dime! ;)
6wSsFjg.jpg

This is probably what will end up being the "contiguous" 2nd resort area assuming Universal acquires all of Stan Thomas' land around the main ~440 acres. You end up with roughly 604 acres contiguous bounded by the maximum limitations in each direction (Kirkman extension, Shingle Creek, Sand Lake, Destination, etc.). I used this version to show the various waters on the land (and some potentially developable wetlands in the eastern part).

The only land this doesn't include is the additional 40 acres of Lockheed's small building next to the Kirkman extension on the left side of the contiguous 604 acres. There's one parcel that I didn't include next to the Kirkman extension/Universal Blvd. intersection because I'm not sure it can actually connect to the 604 acres due to that creek running between.

I can do the same on the other map later.

Last edited:
Ok, I get the whole.. "oo.. third park.." thing, but...

What do we really expect Universal to build to justify so much land? And how does it work with the other existing complex?

Shuttle buses? Some sort of monorail or gondola?

The logistics of it all just seem wacky to me.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
What do we really expect Universal to build to justify so much land? And how does it work with the other existing complex?
Golf Courses, Water Park, Theme Park (or 2)- a half dozen hotels or more, A timeshare or 2?
Really... whatever TF they want :D

Shuttle buses? Some sort of monorail or gondola?

The logistics of it all just seem wacky to me.
I'm more interested in the infrastructure and how it is all going to work vs which IPs will anchor lands. The infrastructure this is going to require is going to be insane. And the fact a large swath of it will be city construction and infrastructure as well? I don't see how this thing could possibly get built before 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.