Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 309 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say that I'll be amazed if it doesn't open with a water park to go along with the dry park, though
That'll be interesting- and I agree- we'll have a water park and dry park.
I would think that they'd stagger the openings- Dry park year one and water park the year after.
For them to open both simultaneously- that would be a huge feat that is pretty unprecedented. But hell, this whole this is unprecedented.
Yeah, I'm sure they have a blueprint with timelines and all of that, but it probably looks something like this:

Phase 1:
3rd dry park, CityWalk 2.0, 3-4 hotels with 4500 rooms
Completion by March-May 2023 (some parts or all may open up to 12 months earlier than that)

Phase 2:
water park, 2 hotels with 2000 rooms
Completion by March-May of 2024 or 2025

Phase 3 (speculative, only if the 3 dry parks are pulling 10 million+ annually and all hotels are running at 90% capacity):
4th dry park, 3-4 hotels with 5000 rooms
Completion around March-May of 2031 or 2032 (hotels can be built earlier if Phase 1-2 hotels are at capacity)
Also depends on IP situation (i.e. maybe grabbing Florida DC rights from WB when that contract with Six Flags comes up to negotiation).

Basically, we're looking at a 3 Phase, 15-20 year plan for the properties; that's how I envision the process.

I would think that they'd stagger the openings- Dry park year one and water park the year after.
For them to open both simultaneously- that would be a huge feat that is pretty unprecedented. But hell, this whole this is unprecedented.
Disney opened Typhoon, Pleasure, Island, and MGM in the same year.

Yeah, I'm sure they have a blueprint with timelines and all of that, but it probably looks something like this:

Phase 1:
3rd dry park, CityWalk 2.0, 3-4 hotels with 4500 rooms
Completion by March-May 2023 (some parts or all may open up to 12 months earlier than that)

Phase 2:
water park, 2 hotels with 2000 rooms
Completion by March-May of 2024 or 2025

Phase 3 (speculative, only if the 3 dry parks are pulling 10 million+ annually and all hotels are running at 90% capacity):
4th dry park, 3-4 hotels with 5000 rooms
Completion around March-May of 2031 or 2032 (hotels can be built earlier if Phase 1-2 hotels are at capacity)
Also depends on IP situation (i.e. maybe grabbing Florida DC rights from WB when that contract with Six Flags comes up to negotiation).

Basically, we're looking at a 3 Phase, 15-20 year plan for the properties; that's how I envision the process.

Remember; "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"

Honestly if they were to build a hell of a 3rd dry park plus expansions and a waterpark, would a 4th be necessary? Also It seems disney knows it has enough already to deal with, is another park for them necessary being the amout of improvement all of their parks need?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Honestly if they were to build a hell of a 3rd dry park plus expansions and a waterpark, would a 4th be necessary? Also It seems disney knows it has enough already to deal with, is another park for them necessary being the amout of improvement all of their parks need?

I personally don't think you'll ever see a 4th dry park. With that being said, I would wager a bet Universal will leave the option open just in case.

I personally don't think you'll ever see a 4th dry park. With that being said, I would wager a bet Universal will leave the option open just in case.
Before today I could see an argument for only having three dry parks. But why would Universal have 2 dry theme parks on 600+ acres then buy 1,000 acres (and maybe more) just to put one more dry Park? Even their lawyer said in the court case the property was big enough for two major theme parks.

The Orlando market has to hit saturation at some point.

We're going to have to see some theme park closures or else there will simply be too many theme parks in Orlando. There won't be enough people to work at the parks and there won't be enough visitors to keep all of the parks open.

If SeaWorld goes out of business and closes its doors, I could see Universal taking over their market share and opening a fourth park. But, Universal + Disney are going to start seeing smaller returns on their investments because there just aren't enough people taking major vacations to go around.

Before today I could see an argument for only having three dry parks. But why would Universal have 2 dry theme parks on 600+ acres then buy 1,000 acres (and maybe more) just to put one more dry Park? Even their lawyer said in the court case the property was big enough for two major theme parks.
Oh it's big enough. It gives them the option to build another, which at this point is more important to them than the reality of building another, hence why I said they'll "leave the option open". I just don't think they're ever going to see the demand necessary for a 4th one.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Status
Not open for further replies.