Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 347 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful Worlds is a no go. Universal Fantastic? I don't see a problem at this point.:shrug: I don't care if they call it bitchin zip codes as long as they start construction, before I die of anticipation.

Last edited:
Back in early February, Universal filed plans with Orange county to construct warehouses and office space on the northern part of the new property near Sand Lake Road. The county took a month to review the plans and sent Universal comments, questions, and suggestions. We then began to wait for Universal to respond and resubmit.

Finally, after 3 months of no movement, last week they submitted updated plans on June 8th, the same day they applied for the Fantastic Worlds trademark. The new plans are similar to the original ones from February, but they alter the configuration somewhat. The updated plans decrease the amount of warehouse space by about 60,000 square feet, but massively increase the office space from 95,000 s.f. to 320,000 s.f. along with 500 additional parking spaces. Other information of interest is that the plans no longer include any drainage ponds, and Universal's written responses say that this area will be developed all at once rather than in phases.

The plans still face a fairly lengthy approval process with construction being even further into the future, but as the first real plans to be submitted since this spring's land acquisition, they show that Universal is far enough along in the design process that they are confident in keeping the northern part of the site as backstage and the guest areas on the southern side, and that they are ready to start making progress towards real construction.

Yea, sorry, I think this is an obtuse complaint. "Universal's Fantastic Worlds" is not a bad theme park name. Generic? Sure. But no more generic than "Animal Kingdom" or "Universal Studios".
Universal Studios Florida is probably the lamest name of all the parks in Florida tbh (not bashing the park itself, it’s my favourite).
It is the name of a company followed by the real world location where it exists...
Most of us probably just don’t ever really think of it that way anymore, due to feelings of happiness and nostalgia we associate from previous visits.

Looking forward to a new batch of aerials to come soon. They are going full tilt on the new access road off of Destination Parkway, and the clearing is well underway at the north edge of the property where the new warehouses and backstage support facilities are being built along Sand Lake Road.
That is very good news. Can't wait to see images of that.

Reactions: Ridgepole
Back in early February, Universal filed plans with Orange county to construct warehouses and office space on the northern part of the new property near Sand Lake Road. The county took a month to review the plans and sent Universal comments, questions, and suggestions. We then began to wait for Universal to respond and resubmit.

Finally, after 3 months of no movement, last week they submitted updated plans on June 8th, the same day they applied for the Fantastic Worlds trademark. The new plans are similar to the original ones from February, but they alter the configuration somewhat. The updated plans decrease the amount of warehouse space by about 60,000 square feet, but massively increase the office space from 95,000 s.f. to 320,000 s.f. along with 500 additional parking spaces. Other information of interest is that the plans no longer include any drainage ponds, and Universal's written responses say that this area will be developed all at once rather than in phases.

The plans still face a fairly lengthy approval process with construction being even further into the future, but as the first real plans to be submitted since this spring's land acquisition, they show that Universal is far enough along in the design process that they are confident in keeping the northern part of the site as backstage and the guest areas on the southern side, and that they are ready to start making progress towards real construction.
Can anyone draw up what’s going to be backstage?

Is it possible that the opening timeline could be moved up even further? If they keep working at their current rate, this thing could be working by July/August 2022.
Hearing from a couple insiders that they are shooting for this, or even earlier, but I doubt they can get it open until late 2022 or sometime in 2023. Complications are always bound to happen somewhere in the timeline.

Reactions: Magic-Man
As someone who wasn’t around for most of the Volcano Bay era, did that have any complications?
Well, it wasn't ready when they opened it since various elements of construction fell behind schedule. It only opened on it's target date as an unfinished product....And we all know what happened when they opened Universal Studios before they got all the rides to work properly....With the VB problems being so recent,I would guess they won't make the same mistake with the new park.

Status
Not open for further replies.