Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is, how early do permits/trademarks like this start popping up? Isn't it too early?

Trademarks take a long time to become officially registered to their owner. Usually upwards of three months. If Universal plans to start talking about their new park and using its name in promotional materials by end of this year/mid next year, then this is pretty good timing, assuming that's what this is for, of course.

But really, it doesn't matter how early they file- as long as they plan to use the mark in commerce - and are willing to pay for extensions until they do start using it, they can have a trademark sit for years and years. And if they never start using it or change their plans, it'll just expire.

Also, the trademark for Aventura Hotel was filed way back in October of 2015:

c4BiMmZ.png

And Volcano Bay in June of 2014:

VCMfgOC.png

Certainly makes for new fodder. Now we need a permit to relocate the power sub-station and a sealed deal to buyout Lockheed.:freak:

Maybe? Universal filed a bunch of trademarks over the name "Wondersea Island" in February 2015. Volcano Bay opened up in Fall (?) 2016, obviously using a totally different name.

Just barely beat you to it :grin:

Wondersea Island was first filled in March 9 2011. Volcano Bay was first filled on June 26 2014. The weird thing is that Universal then refilled for Wondersea Island on August 1 2014.

Both trademarks are for: Entertainment services in the nature of water parks.

Wondersea Island has now lapsed.

Volcano Bay was officially announced on 25 May 2015, 11 months after filling the name.

I don’t actually like this idea (mainly because it makes me think of Westworld and things going wrong!), but we already know there’s probably going to be a Jurassic World at this new site. Could the ‘World’ concept be used for each section, much like the islands theme at IOA?

Jurassic World, Mario World? etc

This is quite limiting in itself, as I would think that certain IP’s would struggle to fit in this mould, but food for thought.

I don’t actually like this idea (mainly because it makes me think of Westworld and things going wrong!), but we already know there’s probably going to be a Jurassic World at this new site. Could the ‘World’ concept be used for each section, much like the islands theme at IOA?

Jurassic World, Mario World? etc

This is quite limiting in itself, as I would think that certain IP’s would struggle to fit in this mound, but food for thought.

Jurassic World is going into IOA, not the new park.

I am assuming that the cost to file for trademarks is chump change to Universal. In this case they can file for names for anything that pops into their head just in case they need them later. Doesn't mean they are going to use the name, rather they just want to make sure the name is there if they decide to.

For like for like reference.

Islands of Adventure was first filled in Noember 1993. 5 and a half years before it opened.

ioa trademark.JPG

Also of note is that most theme park names use: amusement park services in the goods and services. They're very exact about what they are. When the name is trademarked, it will not be ambiguous.

The real question is whether the usual suspects will trademark it. They could easily hire a lawyer to trademark the name under a dummy corporation and then release the trademark to Unviersal when they're ready to make their big announcement.

As I recall, the actual name Wondersea was purchased from a company in Michigan? I cannot recall whether Uni purchased the trademark from them or just respectfully purchased the name outright.

As I recall, the actual name Wondersea was purchased from a company in Michigan? I cannot recall whether Uni purchased the trademark from them or just respectfully purchased the name outright.

They’re borrowing the name for Endless Summer.

With how easily we have access to information now, I don’t think we will find out the name easily from a trademark filling. I mean I’m in Glasgow and I can find out trademark names and who registered them with a few clicks from over 4000 miles away.

The problem with trademarks though is that they have to be publicly available to stop other people from registering the name.

That’s fine.

But all plans and rumors have shifted from adding JW into the new park, to focusing on the existing island in IOA.

The only catch is if they do Park and World in two different parks - which doesn’t make sense.

I get what you mean in the sense that both parks are physically in the same place of Isla Nublar. There’s things I want to say further to this, but I appreciate that the sequel is still a week out for you guys in the US, so a conversation for another day perhaps.

The name makes me happy. I have a feeling if this is for a new park we are going to see worlds, not lands. I imagine the worlds will be larger than most of their expansions they've done like Potter. Nintendo will probably be like the original concept art with Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Mario. Just more spread out. Dreamworks could get several land as part of one large world. Just to throw it in there Wizard of Oz would have four areas but all be part of the World of Oz. Lord of Rings same thing. Also maybe we will see Classic Monsters. Probably wishful thinking.

I get what you mean in the sense that both parks are physically in the same place of Isla Nublar. There’s things I want to say further to this, but I appreciate that the sequel is still a week out for you guys in the US, so a conversation for another day perhaps.

It’s less about Isla Nublar and more about Universal dedicating that much real estate to the Jurassic franchise. Either way - sure, we can pick this convo up after the movie is released stateside.

The name really makes me wonder what the actual names of the lands will be.

Why wouldn’t the name be Fantastic Kingdoms? That would make a lot more sense will all the rumors floating around with the Mushroom Kingdom, Mordor (yes, I know it might not come), Transylvania, Ancient China, and Berk.

Well, maybe you don’t have kingdom in the name. But Worlds?
Not speaking at it from the 4th gate perspective, but World does it appear in many of their current properties and upcoming land offerings:

Wizarding World
Super Nintendo World
Jurassic World

And the original name for IOA was going to be Cartoon World, so it's not without precedent at the company.

Plus, Universal's logo is the globe, which is the world.

Maybe they went through synonyms of Kingdoms and Lands and landed on World. I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.