Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 391 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting idea, but I think escape rooms might be too low-capacity for something like Citywalk? Unless they offered some sort of boutique experience that they could charge a premium for and limit to a select number of groups daily (by reservation, maybe? I don't know). Are escape rooms reaching the end of their interest to the GP or are they still a thing?

A highly themed arcade experience catering to all age levels could be a lot of fun, and quite successful. Nintendo has some experience with this. :) Seeing something similar to some of the amazing arcade experiences in, say, Japan, could be interesting, and possibly be a unique addition to the CW2 skyline.
Escape rooms continue to be popular. It’s a nice thing during rain which is what a park needs. If they did one the sets would be high end bringing further traffic.

An interesting idea, but I think escape rooms might be too low-capacity for something like Citywalk? Unless they offered some sort of boutique experience that they could charge a premium for and limit to a select number of groups daily (by reservation, maybe? I don't know). Are escape rooms reaching the end of their interest to the GP or are they still a thing?
I think people are definitely still interested in them! Especially since they’re starting to trickle into more places now.

I would normally think escape rooms are too low capacity, but The Void @ Disney Springs can’t be that high capacity.

I think people are definitely still interested in them! Especially since they’re starting to trickle into more places now.

I would normally think escape rooms are too low capacity, but The Void @ Disney Springs can’t be that high capacity.
Thats not really an escape room though. And its only 15 minutes in the actual chamber (the rest os pre-show, getting into gear etc). It is, however, awesome

Arguably, a success of a escape room and the capacity is based on theming, effects, difficulty, and size. If UC got their most creative people or hired a really good firm (as well as not use VR), they could have a very successful escape room.

Done escape rooms in Korea, Japan, and US...I have done some which were 98 sq feet spaces all the way up to 4 story building. The most memorable ones were the ones with the crazy contraptions and traps (moving floors, indoor thunderstorm which left us having to wear ponchos part of the time or get completely drenched, having to eat/drink things to solve the puzzle) and less about spacing.

If Universal made a 15,000 sq feet (.34 acre) building with 8x 250 sq ft, 10x 500 sq ft, 5x 1000 sq ft rooms, and 20x 100 sq rooms and the rest backstage area with all rooms being able to hold at least of 5 people with preparations starting 15 minutes early and staying open 12 hours, Universal could push at the minimum 2,350 people per day which if I remember correctly is little less than half the occupancy of Volcano Bay.

I say Universal should go for it. UC already has some experience thanks to Japan, get some of the HHN staff and others to help create an elaborate world.

If I had to guess the entertainment experiences this CityWalk would have...
  • Nintendo Experience and Store, possibly an arcade
  • Movie Theater
  • Escape Rooms
  • Dinner Theaters
  • If Nintendo doesn’t get an arcade, something like a Universal-version of Dave and Busters
  • Gigantic Bowling Alley
  • A small ride, like a drop-tower or slingshot

• Movie Theater
  • Escape Rooms
  • Dinner Theaters
  • If Nintendo doesn’t get an arcade, something like a Universal-version of Dave and Busters
  • Gigantic Bowling Alley

Movie Theater: Why do that when you already have a large Movie Theater already on UOR property?

Nintendo: One of those things you said is more likely than the others.

Small Ride: why do that when you would have a large theme park right next to the entertainment complex? It's slightly cannibalistic.

Arcade: Why do a Dave n' Buster's, when that already exists in Orlando?

(Edit: Remember DisneyQuest? Remember how it was exactly as you described, and that it failed to work even as a concept? Pepperidge Farm remembers.)

Bowling Alley: I like Bowling, but that isn't something I'd necessarily say would be a good idea.

Escape Rooms/VR: This..requires some thought. It's something A&D has done before with Repository, in both of those fields. And from what it seemed, it didn't work out well. Could it happen? It varies. That said, it wouldn't be Universal Creative doing things.

Dinner Theater: Cirque is more probable than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SukaVayne73
Movie Theater: Why do that when you already have a large Movie Theater already on UOR property?

Nintendo: One of those things you said is more likely than the others.

Small Ride: why do that when you would have a large theme park right next to the entertainment complex? It's slightly cannibalistic.

Arcade: Why do a Dave n' Buster's, when that already exists in Orlando?

(Edit: Remember DisneyQuest? Remember how it was exactly as you described, and that it failed to work even as a concept? Pepperidge Farm remembers.)

Bowling Alley: I like Bowling, but that isn't something I'd necessarily say would be a good idea.

Escape Rooms/VR: This..requires some thought. It's something A&D has done before with Repository, in both of those fields. And from what it seemed, it didn't work out well. Could it happen? It varies. That said, it wouldn't be Universal Creative doing things.

Dinner Theater: Cirque is more probable than that.

1. Because that’s really far away, you’d want something on the new resort.
  2. I don’t get why an arcade is out of the question here. It fits perfectly.
  3. True
  4. Disneyquest wasn’t very good as a whole. Universal can do better (Nintendo)
  5. True
  6. True
  7. True

1. Because that’s really far away, you’d want something on the new resort.
  2. I don’t get why an arcade is out of the question here. It fits perfectly.
  3. True
  4. Disneyquest wasn’t very good as a whole. Universal can do better (Nintendo)
  5. True
  6. True
  7. True
1: Even then, you'd still potentially be cannibalizing the other, especially for locals.
2: I'd think that they would rather want to have something that can go for locals and tourists. No matter what, play-areas are most likely for a store, but it wouldn't be a focus. I think what we need to look at, is how the Rockefeller Center local handles things, and then apply it to the Resort setting.
4: To be blunt, I don't think Universal needs an arcade structure. It would be unnecessary and taking away valuable space that can be done to make the complex more stable.

__
If I had to guess a possible assortment of the complex..it'd be this.

• More of a diversified assortment of Dining and Shopping options, more for older audiences than families
  • Some sort of Cirque show (UMG has a few groups, like The Beatles (Capitol) or Black Sabbath (Republic))
  • Third Party VR (NOT VoidVR)
  • Dedicated Hotel on Entertainment Complex property (with park entry)
  • Nintendo Store (With small play areas and a area to house Local Tourney's)

Reactions: Magic-Man
  • Movie Theater
  • Escape Rooms
  • Dinner Theaters
  • Gigantic Bowling Alley

I think you can cross out movie theatre, bowling alley, and arcade off the list for the new CW. There are already too many movie theaters competing against each other for it to be worthwhile to open another one at the new CW. There is a Dave and Busters on I-drive which will already likely be a lower price point than anything Universal will offer. As for bowling alley, Cabana Bay has one in the hotel and from what I heard its price point is way too high making it unfeasible

This site has a much different challenge than CW 1.0. This site has to entertain conventioneers, more locals, and guests from choosing I-drive which essentially is across the road, CW 1.0, and DS which has been attracting more locals lately according to this site. They have to provide products/experiences they can't get elsewhere at a "reasonable" price point. "Reasonable" is highly subjective though.

With Nintendo moving to the new park, the proximity to the convention center, and this new Epic Universe, I would assume this city walk would be way more themed overall than CW 1.0 with experiences being way more personal and intimate.

What I expect
  1. Nintendo Store/Experience as well as some niche stores based on comics and other nerdom stuff. If you can find that brand in a loot crate expect it be represented in CW 2.0
  2. live theatre putting on great/experimental shows.
  3. Escape rooms (No V/R)
  4. Highly themed high concept dining
  5. Museum with rotational exhibits
  6. Actually good nightclubs/bars

UC did the Escape Rooms in Japan. Not A&D. So it would be up to Universal management on who gets to do it or not.

UC did the Escape Rooms in Japan. Not A&D. So it would be up to Universal management on who gets to do it or not.

Oh, no. I was refering to Orlando; hence why I said Repository.

Still doesn't change my opinion though on that.

__

That said, would the warehouses count as GroundBreak, or would the beginning of the new park count as GroundBreak?

Here's what I think. And I'm using "Downtown Disney" for a comparison because it had more definable sections than Disney Springs does. -

If CityWalk is Downtown Disney Westside, then CityWalk 2.0 will be Downtown Disney Marketplace.

Think about it - the original Westside was an entertainment complex. It had an arcade, movie theater, live show venues, high-capacity restaurants, etc. Current CityWalk has mini-golf, movie theater, live show venues, high-capacity restaurants, etc. The stores in both locations are filler. And while CityWalk has nightclubs, they fill a portion of the Pleasure Island niche.

So, when I say CityWalk 2.0 will be more "Marketplace," I expect it to be a far quieter and arguably more "upscale" shopping area. The restaurants will likely be nicer, and retail will be more important than "stuff to do". And I expect it to have a live venue, but I also expect the new live venue to lead to the closing/moving of BMG.

There's a couple of reasons for this:

1) It forces movement. Universal doesn't want guests to be able to sit completely at one site during a vacation. It's why Cirque du Soleil and Rainforest Café are on clear opposite sides of the property. The new site likely won't have a movie theater because Universal will want guests staying at the South Property to move to the original property. They'll likely put the best shopping at the South Property because they'll want people staying at the original property to move to the original property. They will (should) offer wildly different experiences so guests have to bounce to "take it all in."

2) The Convention Audience. While conventioners want stuff to do, Universal will be competing with Pointe Orlando in the location. And while Point Orlando is "fine" overall, its shopping is meh. Shopping on that entire side of I-Drive is meh. And while there are some quality, popular restaurants in the area (Café Tutu Tango, Capital Grill, Maggiano's) UNIQUE and upscale dining options - things convention crowds really clamor for - are minimal. Shopping and food are high-profit focuses that people staying that side of I-Drive would gladly take advantage of.

If Uni is smart, that's the way they position 2.0.

Universal has the opportunity to upstage Disney by adding a broadway or Cirque show to CityWalk 2, allowing Universal to have 2 shows. Would not be surprised if they add a 2nd Mini-Golf course if the current one is very popular/profitable.

I'm expecting plenty of restaurants/bars/entertainment venues. Convention Center is too close not to have a lot of that element to attract them to CitiWalk?2 and the park. 'Some' retail shopping, but not dominant. One feature attraction, Cirque type or specialty theater.......Specialty Theater; Dinner with IU Insiders. Drinks, drinks, and more drinks headline the menu. ;)....and a free Helicopter Tour with Bio for the last man/woman standing. :freak:

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic-Man
Status
Not open for further replies.