Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!!! Have been checking up on the threads every day "as usual" and loving what I hear. About a month ago I was so lost in regards to what direction to take in order to persue my dreams of one day working for Universal and building the lands/attractions we all love and are so passionate about. Great advice from teebin and everyone else helped me come to a decision that I want to major in architectural engineering! I am posting for two reasons. One is to thank everyone who helped me when I needed advice, and the second is to ask if any of you have any other advice for me before I start my long journey that hopefully one day will land me a job at universal. I know questions like this are really off topic and annoying, but all of your responses really do help. It truely is my dream and passion to one day create and build for a company that I honestky love with all my heart. I appreciate any responses and seriously everyone thank you for all the advice thus far!!!!

Congrats on your decision! What school do you plan on going to?

As far as advice, you should just know that there is no one job at Universal where you just get to draw up ideas for lands and rides--it's all balancing a lot of projects. Some projects will be your brainchild, some will be others' that you have to help with the grunt work on. There are big exciting projects and then there are projects that involve changing out artwork in an element you've probably never noticed before. Sometimes working on the details of a project that you're not leading can be daunting. But for the most part it's a lot of fun and cool having a hand in what millions of people see and experience.

One thing you should know...UC itself is a small department. The vast majority of guys working on Kong, for example, are contractors and freelance artists. Once Kong is done, they are jobless. It's not so bad now considering Universal has so many projects going on right now that these guys can jump to but the climate is always uncertain. Think about the famous story of Beastly Kingdom...those guys that got laid off and picked up by Universal to design Dueling Dragons were, for the most part, contractors. That's why that story works as well as it does.

It's a great thing to study if you have a passion for it but the idea of Creative/Imagineering gets kinda romanticized I think. It's still VERY cool, but you should know how it works. Another important thing--focus on you and your skills. Build a good art portfolio and make relationships...that's really how to get jobs in this industry. Good luck and be sure to chime in with info about all the rides you'll go on to design!

Reactions: Danielt1
Congrats on your decision! What school do you plan on going to?

As far as advice, you should just know that there is no one job at Universal where you just get to draw up ideas for lands and rides--it's all balancing a lot of projects. Some projects will be your brainchild, some will be others' that you have to help with the grunt work on. There are big exciting projects and then there are projects that involve changing out artwork in an element you've probably never noticed before. Sometimes working on the details of a project that you're not leading can be daunting. But for the most part it's a lot of fun and cool having a hand in what millions of people see and experience.

One thing you should know...UC itself is a small department. The vast majority of guys working on Kong, for example, are contractors and freelance artists. Once Kong is done, they are jobless. It's not so bad now considering Universal has so many projects going on right now that these guys can jump to but the climate is always uncertain. Think about the famous story of Beastly Kingdom...those guys that got laid off and picked up by Universal to design Dueling Dragons were, for the most part, contractors. That's why that story works as well as it does.

It's a great thing to study if you have a passion for it but the idea of Creative/Imagineering gets kinda romanticized I think. It's still VERY cool, but you should know how it works. Another important thing--focus on you and your skills. Build a good art portfolio and make relationships...that's really how to get jobs in this industry. Good luck and be sure to chime in with info about all the rides you'll go on to design!

I'd also add that while you'll have your degree and your own portfolio of examples of work, once working there, they won't have you in working on the next E-Ticket, you'll be proving yourself with lots of small things as mentioned above. That is where the hard work begins and where you can really shine to get onto the big stuff.

This is not from experience in this field, but from experiences with Grads coming into companies and they assume with their nice shiny new degree they are going to take over the world, they give up and leave because they've got to do the boring stuff first. Go in with the right mindset and you'll do well :)

Reactions: Danielt1
Can there be a thread dedicated to advice like this? Not trying to be rude but I often come to this thread and read about advice for a job. It's cool but it's not expansion.

Once again I do apologize for getting this thread so off track, but thank you guys for your replys. They really do help a lot! I understand that whenever....if..... I ever land a job working for universal that I will be working on the smallest of projects but that's fine by me! I don't care if I'm designing bathroom floors for universal and hey if I was there right now I would apply to whatever job I could get. I just want to work for universal so bad and I would do anything just to help make universal a better place. As of college I'm most likely attending The New York Institue of Technology where I will major in Architectural Engineering. Once again thank you so much for all your advice. I just can't wait to get to universal one day and work in their phenomenal parks!

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Quick Question: Does Universal ever use there second parking garage entrance?? I always see it closed off and am wondering why it was built in the first place if it is never used. Of course I don't really go during really busy times so that might be why I haven't seen it.

Side Note: I noticed recently the contractors have the a whole 2/3 of the second floor of the north garage to themselves and its almost always empty though. There's like a little temporary building there to for them to gain there access badge. Just a little fun fact.

I know Uni is expanding but with spring break next year it seems like so much stuff will be closed. I know they needed to flesh out the two parks they have but I also believe outside expansion into a small third park would alleviate some of the stress of the expansions.

I know Uni is expanding but with spring break next year it seems like so much stuff will be closed. I know they needed to flesh out the two parks they have but I also believe outside expansion into a small third park would alleviate some of the stress of the expansions.

Well, if you want to get technical, Universal is working on their third "theme park" as we speak... Volcano Bay. It really seems like they are wanting to set a new precedent as to what a themed water park can be. It's not going to be Wet & Wild, and I think it will be a far more immersive experience than any of Disney's themed water park offerings, making it a must see for people attending Universal Orlando.

As far as a third proper theme park, that is not in the cards for a long while, if ever. Universal is quickly running out of space to expand. I think it may be entirely possible that they have a desire and plan in place to make a third gate a reality at some point, but that would take years and a whole lot of land acquisition in a very expensive and competitive area.

As it stands, the ride closures will probably have little overall effect on the park, expectially when you compare it to the benefits the new attractions taking their place will bring once they are finally finished and opened. Universal knows what they are doing and they are doing it very very well.

Unlike the WDW non Magic Kingdom Parks, Uni has a lot of capacity. They added a ton of capacity with Diagon/London, Hogwart's, Springfield, Transformers, DM, and soon to come Kong. Closing a few attractions doesn't measurably hurt their capacity.

After the last few announcements from Disney I would not be shocked if universal kept quiet for now as they devise the perfect come back that will put them on top once again. I see universal announcing a parade and maybe a new store coming to their parks, but then no further information until the opening of Kong. Kong will dominate the news for a few months and then universal will plan a date to announce what they have planed to compete with Disney and Disney's highly anticipated star wars land. Plans to build a Nintendo World plus Jimmy Fallon will get people hyped, but also plans to build a Jurassic World plus a much needed replacement for shrek will also be in the works, and let's not forget the FINAL AND THIRD phase of Harry Potter that is definitely coming. Universal as we all know has a lot of big things planned and even though I'm not a fan of Disney, I do congratulate Disney on following in Universal's footsteps with themed lands. Universal will let Disney have the spotlight right now, but the question for us is how long until Universal finally fights back!

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but I did not see it. The first permit for the new Cabana Bay Towers (Project 799) was filed this week:

4hmZ59W.png

I guess I never knew this had a project number yet. Who found out that it was for the towers? These are going to be the place to stay in the future. While they will be separated perhaps by a fence, they are virtually in the waterpark. Great views if you stay on the 5th floor!

Part of the Cabana Bay parking lot has been fenced off within the past few days, the south end of the lot near on the Americana side. I had assumed it was for Volcano Bay, but I suppose it might be for this.

I guess I never knew this had a project number yet. Who found out that it was for the towers? These are going to be the place to stay in the future. While they will be separated perhaps by a fence, they are virtually in the waterpark. Great views if you stay on the 5th floor!

I posted about the project number about two months ago, I don't think it was known before that:

Really can't wait for more details about this. Will it be considered part of Cabana Bay or will it be given it's own separate name?

Really can't wait for more details about this. Will it be considered part of Cabana Bay or will it be given it's own separate name?

I'm pretty sure this will be part of Cabana Bay, unless they're building a separate resort integrated into Volcano Bay. Either way that's a very tight space for a dedicated resort.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Is there a map of this? I can't really see where the towers would fit.

Ok, it is basically this... but the green line of the waterpark should be moved up and into the middle of the towers and not so far down as it is. The park is even bigger than I presumed at the time. I posted this OVER a year ago and was guessing as I danced in order to bring everyone here up to speed on the then very new news. I am sure this will help.

WS_zps28594815.jpg

The working title then was WonderSea but has only since been changed to Volcano Bay.

Reactions: Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.