Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If universal were to consider adding a third gate I would like them to consider having more original attractions that are not all based on movie or comics. !

I would place my chips on Universal's next venture being a permanent HHN experience or mini-park that's open year round. HHN is what Universal is known for, they have had 20 years experience creating haunts, and they are the best in the country at it -- it's in their DNA. HHN is a HUGE moneymaker. Granted, they are mostly locals.

All Universal has to do is snatch up the theme park rights to all available horror IP's... Freddy, Jason, SAW, Steven King's IT... everything. Combine that with the classic Universal Monsters... have permanent haunted houses and horror-based rides attractions. It's something ONLY Universal can do. Park opens at 6PM every night.

The one place where all your nightmares come to life.

Just one problem -- what about the kids? :doh:

Issue with that is the same with Food and Wine over at Epcot, if you try and do it year round you lose some of what made it special in the first place and dilute the product in the process. Case and point the underperforming food and beverage booths this year and Flower and Garden. HHN is special because its new and unique each year.

Last edited:
The fact that someone even mentioned a 5th gate just blows my mind. What makes Universal so strong is that they have a manageable yet immersive resort. By only having two parks, they are able to focus their time, money, and effort on enhancing the existing parks and making them better. Disney is a prime example why I even feel like we shouldnt get a 3rd gate. Look at how much progress Universal has made in USF and IOA. With 4 Disney Parks, they cant even pinpoint where to start and where they need improvement.

If I were Universal, I would keep focusing on Upgrades and Expansions to existing parks. I do feel that Cabana is going to be a tremendous success, and I honestly could see them adding another resort in the 2-3 years following Cabana's opening.

It is not about the quantity, it is about the quality.---sums it up pretty well right there

I would place my chips on Universal's next venture being a permanent HHN experience or mini-park that's open year round. HHN is what Universal is known for, they have had 20 years experience creating haunts, and they are the best in the country at it -- it's in their DNA. HHN is a HUGE moneymaker. Granted, they are mostly locals.

All Universal has to do is snatch up the theme park rights to all available horror IP's... Freddy, Jason, SAW, Steven King's IT... everything. Combine that with the classic Universal Monsters... have permanent haunted houses and horror-based rides attractions. It's something ONLY Universal can do. Park opens at 6PM every night.

No offense, but you're going to lose your chips if you bet on that! :smiley:

From what I've seen/experienced as a dark-ride/haunt nerd, year-round haunts seem like they always struggle and usually end up dying. Look at the one that closed up shop on I-Drive 5-7 years ago (Skull Kingdom?). People are generally interested in haunts from mid-Sept to early Nov and then the novelty wears off as we head into the holidays. I would stake epic amounts of cash on Universal never doing such a thing. They make HUGE amounts of bank during HHN and then they move on into Grinchmas and their holiday spectacles. In fact, the thought of having a year-round haunt would be something similar to having a year-round Christmas event. Sure, there's a few people who'd enjoy it, but the majority of folks would be like, "Huh?" and skip it. Maybe that's a bit of a radical and inappropriate comparison, but I think you get my drift.

I'm all for a Universal 3rd gate (especially at the rate they're growing now) and a new waterpark...but that's probably about as big as they should get. Add in a few more hotels and an improved CityWalk-esque shopping/dining/entertainment district, and they're golden. As for Universal building a MONORAIL to tie the whole thing together? That I do NOT see happening. Pricey!

It is not about the quantity, it is about the quality.---sums it up pretty well right there

This is my best argument for why I love Uni more than anything.

I was excited to hear about this, but I just do not see an expansion not next to the existing resort. If they went down the road near the convention center, it might as well be a completely different resort. A monorail will never happen, because it's too much money and can be a maintenance hassle. I know Disney right now is working on their expansion for the monorail, but they know too well that the times are different, and this monorail project will be a lot more money.

I think this is an exciting time to be a fan of UOR, but if they do expand I'll have to see it to believe it.

From what I've seen/experienced as a dark-ride/haunt nerd, year-round haunts seem like they always struggle and usually end up dying. Look at the one that closed up shop on I-Drive 5-7 years ago (Skull Kingdom?). People are generally interested in haunts from mid-Sept to early Nov and then the novelty wears off as we head into the holidays. I would stake epic amounts of cash on Universal never doing such a thing.

All very good points in your post.

I guess I was thinking grander than just "Haunted House: The Park" or the god-awful-tacky Skull Kingdom.

It would moreso be a place for ALL things dark, mysterious, intriguing, and evil from the dawn of civilization all the way though to the pop culture of today. People love the unexplained. Aliens, Monsters, Twilight, ghosts, PSYCHO, Paranormal Activity, Greek Mythology... the list is endless. Haunted Houses would definitely be an element of the park, but not the base of it.

"The darker side of the Universe" is definitely a great starting point for a new park/mini-park/experience.

Year round haunts suffer from lack of staffing, lack of good actors filling the house, and lack of a constant flow of people coming through, which in result, makes the actors not try as hard.

Haunts like HHN at UOR, USH, Knott's or wherever are all much better experiences because none of that is in play. There is always a constant flow of people going through the houses with actors that are excited to be a part of the event. These events are something special to each park. Having as just a regular thing takes away from that.

Year round haunts suffer from lack of staffing, lack of good actors filling the house, and lack of a constant flow of people coming through, which in result, makes the actors not try as hard.

Haunts like HHN at UOR, USH, Knott's or wherever are all much better experiences because none of that is in play. There is always a constant flow of people going through the houses with actors that are excited to be a part of the event. These events are something special to each park. Having as just a regular thing takes away from that.

I agree. I enjoy HHN and look forward to it every year. Yous starting having that all year long and it just takes away that part of the year I look forward to and makes it not so special, to me anyways. Now I wouldnt mind if they did a Monster themed land, but leave Beetlejuice at the studios. Id want to see new stuff done

I'm all for a Universal 3rd gate (especially at the rate they're growing now) and a new waterpark...but that's probably about as big as they should get. Add in a few more hotels and an improved CityWalk-esque shopping/dining/entertainment district, and they're golden. As for Universal building a MONORAIL to tie the whole thing together? That I do NOT see happening. Pricey!

How would you move people to and from the resort areas, then? You can't use regular ground transport, because traffic (even on Universal Blvd.) is bad enough at all times that it would require a lot of buses to have a constant, steady flow. You're basically left with some sort of rail option. Monorail is obviously the preferred choice by most park fans, and I think it would also be more space efficient than a regular rail system.

But I still think we're 10+ years away from seeing anything starting construction that would require a new method of transport for the resort.

How would you move people to and from the resort areas, then? You can't use regular ground transport, because traffic (even on Universal Blvd.) is bad enough at all times that it would require a lot of buses to have a constant, steady flow. You're basically left with some sort of rail option. Monorail is obviously the preferred choice by most park fans, and I think it would also be more space efficient than a regular rail system.

But I still think we're 10+ years away from seeing anything starting construction that would require a new method of transport for the resort.

All in favor for a people mover say I . . . . . . I :lol:

I believe you mean "I don't think", and that I would have to agree with. Uni does have an opportunity here to be better known as the place to go for more people.

Yep, stated it wrong - lol

This....only way it works is with something that doesn't use ground transportation. It will never work using ground transportation. Uni Bus lanes only MIGHT work, but might have a hard time convincing the city of this one.

Last edited:
I've always found parallels between UOR and the Disneyland Resort and find them to be similar flagship theme park resort destinations, so it's funny to start hearing about 3rd gate rumors for Universal now. I think they just have to find a great idea for a theme and run with it. I love the idea of what Universal could do with water, kinda like DisneySea in Tokyo, but that quality of theming could translate just as well to a water park. They really could easily make the best, most highly themed water park in the world.

A permanent haunt with actors and a high intensity level seems unlikely for the reasons that others have already stated.

But I don't think that a permanent ride based on the classic Universal Monsters or Van Helsing (an extension of that same brand) would necessarily eat into the success of HHN. Those movies are more about atmosphere and, in the case of Van Helsing, adventure with dark fantasy elements.

I can't imagine a ride based on those properties being much scarier than FJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.