Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 121 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly would be unique to UO, just like monorails aren't unique to WDW. However, something like that may work, but I would have doubts that they could get it to high enough capacity to be a viable option.
How much capacity would be needed? The monorail at Disney has a 365 person capacity per. These particular gondolas have a 110 person per. Assuming more of
these could circulate safely on the same track (cable), they wouldn't be far off from matching the capacity the monorail offers. Not that they would even need to match because they don't have Disney numbers in visitors=less riders, and the obvious bus options.

There's no real advantage to the gondola system in this situation. Those are typically used when the terrain is somewhat drastic. With the flat conditions in central Florida a monorail, ground level light rail or elevated cable driven system similar to the Hogwarts Express seems more feasible. I think it would be smart for Universal to partner up with the maglev or light rail system to the airport assuming that ever gets off the ground.

Last edited:
I didn't think about the wind and storm factor because they wouldnt have to be as high in the sky to cross I-4 and I've read max operation cross wind speeds of 25 to 35mph. But just a thought.

Last edited:
I believe that tram buses might be the way they go. Simple solution.

maxresdefault.jpg

exquicity24nobin.jpeg

These bendy buses are found all over Europe.

DLP uses them for onsite Transportation. And they work well too.

I still say they brought the Hogwarts Express tech in for more than just that ride.The City of Orlando was onboard with International Drive Monorail .It was shot down by Disney . It would be great to travel from Parking Deck Circle to Wet and Wild Property and Have another Leg Down International Drive .

I still say they brought the Hogwarts Express tech in for more than just that ride.The City of Orlando was onboard with International Drive Monorail .It was shot down by Disney . It would be great to travel from Parking Deck Circle to Wet and Wild Property and Have another Leg Down International Drive .
Well truth is, the monorail wasn't just going to be I Drive. It was suppose to go to Lake Buena Vistayas well. Of course Disney didn't want an additional way for the guest staying there to access anything off of the Disney Resort property. (Which Is Why Maglev is having such a hard time gaining support).

The city ia going to have to build a transportation system one way or the other though and they want an elevated rail (Which has been the desire since the 90's) so should be an interesting next5 years for transit in Orlando.

I believe that tram buses might be the way they go. Simple solution.

maxresdefault.jpg

exquicity24nobin.jpeg
These are the type of Buses Lynx and Disney use for transit and they still have issues with capacity.

It would be Universals best interest to time headways and stops accurately for functional capcity if they go this route, which judging from the Cabana Bay buses doesn't seem like that would be an issue for Universal.

I didn't think about the wind and storm factor because they wouldnt have to be as high in the sky to cross I-4 and I've read max operation cross wind speeds of 25 to 35mph. But just a thought.
The buses here in Orlando will not operate in speeds greater than 35 mph. So I imagine anything at the winds mercy in thin air would have the same restrictions.

Orlando also has a lightning problem. Something like that won't bode well via an emergency in a storm.

And lastly sinkholes. Sinkholes play a huge issue with building ANYTHING in Florida. Sometimes certain table contents in ground testing during pre construction will either hold suitable for building something a certain height or weight or it won't and alter construction plans.

Are there any elevated rail systems that can operate in a thunderstorm? If so how far have they been pushed wind-wise (both sustained and gust), I'm assuming nothing above tropical storm 1.

Are there any elevated rail systems that can operate in a thunderstorm? If so how far have they been pushed wind-wise (both sustained and gust), I'm assuming nothing above tropical storm 1.
Monorails are probably best suited for high winds. I've personally seen the WDW monorail operate in tropical storm conditions. As long as the winds aren't great enough to rip it apart or lift it off the track it's okay. It actually could probably operate just fine in an inland hurricane.

Status
Not open for further replies.