Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Sentinel is reporting it, I'm good with starting the celebration. Universal has no reason to confirm this and I really don't expect them to until a reason comes about, the financial report conference call is the first one I can think of happening.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
If the Sentinel is reporting it, I'm good with starting the celebration. Universal has no reason to confirm this and I really don't expect them to until a reason comes about, the financial report conference call is the first one I can think of happening.

Funny, 7 years ago, everyone was derogatorily calling it the Slantinel... Now it is prince of the city. I guess it depends on the times.

Funny, 7 years ago, everyone was derogatorily calling it the Slantinel... Now it is prince of the city. I guess it depends on the times.
I'm not a fan necessarily but I have to consider their audience. If they feel confident telling the broad general public who aren't necessarily going to pay attention to all the details we will that the deal apparently closed then I'm okay starting to shift with some obvious small caution my mindset in thinking of this property as Universal property.

I'm not a fan necessarily but I have to consider their audience. If they feel confident telling the broad general public who aren't necessarily going to pay attention to all the details we will that the deal apparently closed then I'm okay starting to shift with some obvious small caution my mindset in thinking of this property as Universal property.

Please know that I wasn't passing judgement on your point, but merely using it to underline the irony. I have been aware of the attitude change multiple times in the past 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: s8film40
Is there any reference to the shell company that is mentioned? Just curious what the name of the company is and if there are any other properties in their name in the area.

I'll just say this, I do think they bought the land..but they don't want to confirm it as of yet. I think we will get confirmation either sometime in January or when the Q1 Financial report comes in for Comcast of 2016.

Atleast, its a guess.

This. We're either getting a hint at next shareholders' event (large capital expenditure and it can't be divided over multiple quarters I would think) or with the announcement of another park. Universal isn't announcing a land buy publicly just so it can watch all other land + construction prices rise in the Orlando area.

I feel very confident to say Universal has this land, but again until they announce their plans and acquisition it means very little. Just look at all the Disney projects from the 90s that never panned out that WERE announced!

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I feel very confident to say Universal has this land, but again until they announce their plans and acquisition it means very little. Just look at all the Disney projects from the 90s that never panned out that WERE announced!

I can agree to that. Even as they do have this land now, I do think..unfortunately we have atleast one or two years before anything gets heard of for this land. And even then, I don't think they'll reveal the park yet, due to possible competition that could come in to prevent Universals success.

Last edited:
There's a new 175 room hotel (not Loews/Universal) going up on Vineland just north of Portofino Bay.

Interestingly the new hotel is going to be called "Portofino Hotel" (it has nothing to do with Portofino Bay)

It's between the McDonalds on Kirkman and the newest (mostly empty) small shopping center on Vineland.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/01/new-hotel-planned-near-universal-orlando-resort.html

Behind it is apartments/condos in the Windhover area.

I am shocked Universal lawyers haven't gone after them for having a similar name that would confuse travelers.

Reactions: ChrisFL
There's a new 175 room hotel (not Loews/Universal) going up on Vineland just north of Portofino Bay.

Interestingly the new hotel is going to be called "Portofino Hotel" (it has nothing to do with Portofino Bay)

It's between the McDonalds on Kirkman and the newest (mostly empty) small shopping center on Vineland.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/01/new-hotel-planned-near-universal-orlando-resort.html

Behind it is apartments/condos in the Windhover area.
Saw this yesterday. I'm disappointed the city would approve. That is a terrible location for a hotel. It's a logistic nightmare...

Portofino is the real name of a real town, so probably there is nothing Universal can do.

I understand it is a name of a real place. You would just think something could be done just on the confusion factor alone. But I imagine Uni will figure something out for their guests to know which is the real one.

I understand it is a name of a real place. You would just think something could be done just on the confusion factor alone. But I imagine Uni will figure something out for their guests to know which is the real one.
The fake Portofino guests will figure that out once they have to walk across ten lanes of traffic and a long long hike to get to the parks. And for that they'll probably save $20 or $30 a night for a room. :lol:

Reactions: anihilnation
Status
Not open for further replies.