Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 164 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree atm, but once everything opens this year, Pandora next year and then TSL and SWL, things will become much more stable again one would think.
But what about EPCOT? And the MK is just hanging on by a thread. It will take billions more to get everything back into shape. That doesn't include the billions more it will take to extend and maybe even replace the monorail system in order for all of the property to function and connect singularly, which will be necessary in order to achieve maximum guest satisfaction and maximum distribution of guest expenditure throughout the property.

Just a general thought, when was the last time major attractions/Entertainment opened at all 3 resorts like this in the same month? Mako, Kong, Frozen, Soarin' Around The World, New Castle Show, New Star Wars Fireworks, DAK nighttime offerings, and Tiffins. And just a few weeks later in July, Sapphire Falls opens.

I think the closest was back when new Test Track opened with New Fantasyland (minus SDMT) and some other stuff in DHS.

Maybe it is "lame", but it's kinda the truth. I don't need to know about his lavish vacations or whatnot or his constant complaining about certain things (He went on for months about the Chinese Gov't). The Gov't may be corrupt, but I don't go to a theme park website to see pages upon pages of political talk.

I don't leat where I poop and I don't like personal gloating and one upping where I look for my info. He has sources and info but he also has personally attacked my close friends. As I've said before, when it comes to rumors most of the time they're true to some capacity, it requires some context to fully understand the information.

I'd say 2018 or 2020 for Epcot.

Concept artists were being hired late 2015 for Epcot. 3-5 years is the time to plan and build an attraction.

If I was a betting man I'd stay they won't start any Epcot work till 2020 but work will start in late 2017. Imagination, UoE, Innoventions, and WoL all get touched. On the other hand you'd know more than me at this point.

I'm still not seeing where Disney has lifted blackout dates for the summer.

They didn't. I asked this in a seperate post. It is the residential ticket not the AP ticket that they lifted the black out dates. Which makes sense because they will sell more over the summer with kids out of school and make more money. They are probably predicting lower attendance so then they can do this.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
The article does quote Universal in saying that they are only in the early planning stages.
True, but they're also trying to negotiate with Orange County. They want the most freedom and best terms for this district so they can build exactly what they want with little interference from the County and neighbors. I'm sure they'd really love the autonomy that Disney has with the Reedy Creek Improvement District but that's not happening, so they're at least trying to get the same deal SeaWorld has so they can control the surrounding construction and development. Money will talk with this, and Orange County will probably give them pretty much whatever they want. Getting another HUGE ratable in Orange County is a big deal. More tax money flowing in and everyone wins.

I'll be curious to see if the City of Orlando tries to annex the land. Since the rest of Universal is inside the city limits, they may try to annex this piece as well so they can keep the tax revenues. The city would probably also allow Universal to do as they please and make infrastructure investments like they do for them now.

Yes, Disney isn't going anywhere. But their market share will steadily erode. Universal will pick that up. And Disney needs huge attendance with all of those 26 square miles of infrastructure costs. It's easier for Universal to stay profitable through economic downturns etc..

It's important to remember that while the parks aren't exactly loss leaders, the main emphasis on this point is the, what, 40k hotel rooms? (Maybe 50k?) Hotel rooms with the sole selling point of being a free bus ride away from the Disney parks. As Universal grabs more market share, even just half a vacation, it becomes harder and harder to fill those rooms even at reasonable rates.

Throw in the whole DVC crisis--quick cash-grab now, still have to provide a "luxury" resort at $80 a night for years to come--and you see how the house of cards can come crashing down. The parks won't go anywhere, tho they may turn into pre-Potter Uni or 2016-Sea World. But at least some of the hotels have to be in real danger.

It's important to remember that while the parks aren't exactly loss leaders, the main emphasis on this point is the, what, 40k hotel rooms? (Maybe 50k?) Hotel rooms with the sole selling point of being a free bus ride away from the Disney parks. As Universal grabs more market share, even just half a vacation, it becomes harder and harder to fill those rooms even at reasonable rates.

Throw in the whole DVC crisis--quick cash-grab now, still have to provide a "luxury" resort at $80 a night for years to come--and you see how the house of cards can come crashing down. The parks won't go anywhere, tho they may turn into pre-Potter Uni or 2016-Sea World. But at least some of the hotels have to be in real danger.
Yes, you make some strong points. A large drop in hotel occupancy would hurt bad. Those are pure profit centers. And DVC looked good for them in the early stages, but the profit is basically front loaded, so they'll be a drag on profits down the road. There are so many fundamental problems in their future. Yes, the theme parks are a worry but they are the least of their worries. It's all the other stuff, loss of hotel occupancy & huge infrastructure costs, which will cause them the most issues. When you get as big as they are with their 26 square miles, the potential to fail always looms large. You can only tighten costs so much, so the revenue flow needs to remain quite high.

DVC and all of those time share programs are nothing but money makers for the companies that run them. It's a guaranteed revenue stream after that initial payment. If the owners don't pay they get taken to court or they forfeit their rights and the owner re-sells the same share. It's a HUGE profit industry which is why they all do it (Hilton, Disney Marriott, etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they decide to consolidate some hotels. They could also perhaps convert some moderates to value to help capture a bigger portion of the off property market.
with their 26 square miles
I'm not sure if that number is accurate but I wouldn't be surprised with all the land they've sold off.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.