Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also wouldn't work not due to space constraints but due to the fact Americans are much more conservative and the moment someone get out of the capsule to go to the bathroom naked someone will be offended and privacy isn't a given. Most likely if Universal went that route it would most likely be young people on a budget. They aren't bad. They are no different than staying at a hostel just instead of sharing a room with strangers, you have a small area just to yourself.

Its the same reason European and Asian style spa resorts won't come to the US despite them being a great fun experience.

mt8WhY7.jpg

That green in-between the two resorts are hotels (mostly budget variety), and the white is unbuilt land.

Let's just assume for the moment that Universal will add another 3000 budget rooms onto that Universal Blvd. land in the red box.

This is probably Universal's long-range plans to take out a lot of the budget hotels in-between the two resorts. If you have ~6000 budget hotel rooms sandwiching all of those hotels, then I'd imagine that will open up long-term buying opportunities.

1XwvUtX.jpg

Sample buildout for the land (including parcels owned by Stan Thomas at this moment):
That's a build with 2 dry parks, 1 water park, and roughly 8,000-10,000 hotel rooms (plus additional hotels on the Lockheed lands later on). Just to give some perspective of how much land that acreage is...

I may be mistaken, but I doubt they can build nearly anything on the land to the far East of the property. Shingle creek is headwaters for the Everglades and I'd imagine that would be near impossible to get permission to build on.

I may be mistaken, but I doubt they can build nearly anything on the land to the far East of the property. Shingle creek is headwaters for the Everglades and I'd imagine that would be near impossible to get permission to build on.
Yeah, that 31 acres that I put for Hotels is wetlands just to the west of Shingle Creek; I'd imagine that wouldn't be built for a while..., those wetlands are zoned though as part of Rosen Shingle Creek, so it's hard to know. I believe those acres can be built on at some point though...

That all depends on what it is you are building. If you follow shingle Creek South you will see that buildings sometimes come as close as 500 feet of the creek. Retention ponds even closer.

That all depends on what it is you are building. If you follow shingle Creek South you will see that buildings sometimes come as close as 500 feet of the creek. Retention ponds even closer.
You're right! There's even houses and apartments on the bank of the creek further south. I suppose the regulations aren't as strict as I thought they may be.

1XwvUtX.jpg

Sample buildout for the land (including parcels owned by Stan Thomas at this moment):
That's a build with 2 dry parks, 1 water park, and roughly 8,000-10,000 hotel rooms (plus additional hotels on the Lockheed lands later on). Just to give some perspective of how much land that acreage is...

My take on the resort. I made no attempts at sizing as far as acreage, so this would need to be fudged some. This is just a general layout. I think the citiwalk goes up the middle and all of the park entrances are at the end, so you have to walk through Citiwalk from the parking areas. The blue line is a waterway like is in the current resort that would act as transportation from the hotels to the parks. This doesn't have to be a waterway. It can be a monorail or dedicated bus lane or some other concept, but transportation has to be accounted for and this layout allows for easier guest movement. I was tempted to put a major hotel at the junction of citiwalk and the 3 parks, but I couldn't reconcile how they would handle hotel guest parking with this layout. As this would be a high end hotel, they would almost certainly have a place for guests to drive up to the hotel. I guess they could do that in the backstage/office area, but I don't know that I like that either. Anyway, this is generally how I see it all working out.

new resort.jpg

Wouldn't it be smarter to place their offices and water park next to the Lockheed land than hotels? No one wants a business park view which will be a result of that situation.

In addition, I would expect city walk down here to be larger as it still has to compete with Idrive and keep conventioneers coming and entertained all night long.

Yeah, that 31 acres that I put for Hotels is wetlands just to the west of Shingle Creek; I'd imagine that wouldn't be built for a while..., those wetlands are zoned though as part of Rosen Shingle Creek, so it's hard to know. I believe those acres can be built on at some point though...

With enough lobbying and appropriate wetland replacement they can build right up to the creek. This is a mile upstream before I4 (note the giant retention ponds next to millenia)

creek.jpg

Wouldn't it be smarter to place their offices and water park next to the Lockheed land than hotels? No one wants a business park view which will be a result of that situation.

In addition, I would expect city walk down here to be larger as it still has to compete with Idrive and keep conventioneers coming and entertained all night long.
Some were saying they wanted the offices to go up against the waste treatment plant that goes up against the northeast side of the 604 acres (due to smells and whatnot). Figure the Universal staff/employees/business/backstage would be best there.

My take on the resort. I made no attempts at sizing as far as acreage, so this would need to be fudged some. This is just a general layout. I think the citiwalk goes up the middle and all of the park entrances are at the end, so you have to walk through Citiwalk from the parking areas. The blue line is a waterway like is in the current resort that would act as transportation from the hotels to the parks. This doesn't have to be a waterway. It can be a monorail or dedicated bus lane or some other concept, but transportation has to be accounted for and this layout allows for easier guest movement. I was tempted to put a major hotel at the junction of citiwalk and the 3 parks, but I couldn't reconcile how they would handle hotel guest parking with this layout. As this would be a high end hotel, they would almost certainly have a place for guests to drive up to the hotel. I guess they could do that in the backstage/office area, but I don't know that I like that either. Anyway, this is generally how I see it all working out.
Yeah, I was trying to think of whether it made more sense to just put the CityWalk in-between both or keep it "in front" of both, but your way allows for a longer CityWalk; can probably make a 60-70 acre CityWalk (basically like Disney Springs size) that way.

The rest is mostly similar since the hotels naturally go around. I wouldn't be surprised to see things closer to your version.

Keep in mind, too, that Mandarin Way was supposed to be extended South along with Kirkman Rd. I’d like to see them get creative with elevation changes and waterways/canals this time, maybe even water bridges (ala Yacht and Beach Club/Contemporary).

View attachment 5714
I like your water way concept. That ties the present resort together rather well. Great idea to use the concept for this resort too.

Don't forget include employee parking and services in these new resort predictions. That's 100% necessary and bound to take up a decent amount of space.

Keep in mind, too, that Mandarin Way was supposed to be extended South along with Kirkman Rd. I’d like to see them get creative with elevation changes and waterways/canals this time, maybe even water bridges (ala Yacht and Beach Club/Contemporary).

I kinda wonder if Uni won't get that cancelled. Unless it just fits into their plans.

Don't forget include employee parking and services in these new resort predictions. That's 100% necessary and bound to take up a decent amount of space.

Yeah, didn't think about that. They do have them two southern lots that they got permits for parking on that could be of some use for that, but they will need more.

creek-jpg.5715

CKz93c7.png

Red is the current owned with orange being able to purchase...then that small piece of Lockheed....add in Milliniea and you have a solid second property...add in Seaworld and you reach god status and might as well call that area Universal City.

Credit for second image to Mister Penguin on Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.