Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 157 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just logged into the app for the first time in a couple of weeks (wanted to check the wait times to see if a little Presidents’ Day trip might be worth it…yikes, it’s not lol) and noticed there’s been an overhaul in the design. And at the surface, it seems much…worse?

The lands on the map are now shaded in colors which just makes it a huge cluster when you’re first opening it. The individual ride bubbles have new, more intricate logos for “thrill,” “roller coaster,” etc. which just clutter up the UI. Then when you go to click on one of the bubbles, they’ve shifted the font to a smaller, crisper look where nothing useful jumps out at you (example: the wait times are now tucked away in a little top left corner…why? This is arguably the main thing people are looking for).

I usually don’t care to comment on the app because I know my way around but knowing the usability was a hot topic before I’m honestly curious, does anyone think it looks better right now than it did last month?

Bringing this in from the other thread. Sorry for double post, but didn't want to reply over there when Brian directed them here.

So I used the app in reality yesterday at IOA and yes, it is worse. The wait times disappear in the graphics but even more so they are not always clear. So sometimes there is just no wait time for rides. It was hard to know if something was open or not. Because they did have closed or delayed for some and nothing for others. I couldn't find a pattern of why some rides just had no black tab as if it was a play area instead of a ride. And those rides switched thru the day.

The filters don't hold for the whole day, so I kept having to filter on IOA several times. The ONE improvement was I selecting dining and it did seem to show me the place I was closest too which was 3 broomsticks. Maybe it was accidental, but I didn't have to scroll thru like normal which was always a pain. I was able to click and start ordering right away. Also, the ordering process itself was much quicker than the last time I used it. It didn't freeze on me.

I very rarely use the map, so can't really say whether it is better or worse as I had no need for the map itself this time. I normally only use it when finding bathrooms which was difficult on the last map, but didn't try yesterday as I knew where they were when I needed one.

Bringing this in from the other thread. Sorry for double post, but didn't want to reply over there when Brian directed them here.

So I used the app in reality yesterday at IOA and yes, it is worse. The wait times disappear in the graphics but even more so they are not always clear. So sometimes there is just no wait time for rides. It was hard to know if something was open or not. Because they did have closed or delayed for some and nothing for others. I couldn't find a pattern of why some rides just had no black tab as if it was a play area instead of a ride. And those rides switched thru the day.

The filters don't hold for the whole day, so I kept having to filter on IOA several times. The ONE improvement was I selecting dining and it did seem to show me the place I was closest too which was 3 broomsticks. Maybe it was accidental, but I didn't have to scroll thru like normal which was always a pain. I was able to click and start ordering right away. Also, the ordering process itself was much quicker than the last time I used it. It didn't freeze on me.

I very rarely use the map, so can't really say whether it is better or worse as I had no need for the map itself this time. I normally only use it when finding bathrooms which was difficult on the last map, but didn't try yesterday as I knew where they were when I needed one.
Yeah the most recent redo seems like it went for style over function. I wish they’d configure it like the Disney app where you don’t even need to click to see the wait times.

Yeah the most recent redo seems like it went for style over function. I wish they’d configure it like the Disney app where you don’t even need to click to see the wait times.
Does Disney still only show you wait times of the park you are in? That is the annoying part for me for Universal is I clearly don't need to see wait times of Volcano bay if I am in Studios. It clutters the list. I do like how they now sort by least wait time to most, but I really wish it defaulted to the park you are in and then if you want to hop to next you can check that.

The good news is, this isn’t the actual final version of the app, just a visual UI update. Under the hood still has a lot of new changes coming. (Hopefully soon.)

Does Disney still only show you wait times of the park you are in? That is the annoying part for me for Universal is I clearly don't need to see wait times of Volcano bay if I am in Studios. It clutters the list. I do like how they now sort by least wait time to most, but I really wish it defaulted to the park you are in and then if you want to hop to next you can check that.
That I dont know. My default view is the map view which, yeah, always just shows you the park you’re currently in.

Fwiw - you can toggle between list and map. The list shows wait times on the top left corner of the attractions.
Yes, I was under list view, but the wait times were just missing for some rides. The little black box in the upper left hand corner was just missing. Looked the same as camp Jurassic, but was actual rides. And it switched during the day as to which rides were missing the info. I would normally think closed, but other rides had closed in that black box or delayed. For example, river adventure said closed while flyers had nothing and hulk was listed as delayed the first time we checked. Later Hagrids had no black box and now flyers had 15 minutes and river raft was open. But at this point we were in HP and walked past and it was a 60 minute wait for hagrids. However, when we walked past flyers we saw none running. But for all I know none were riding because no one was in line at that point because later when it said 15 it was a walk on.

I also didn't understand the difference between closed and delayed. I thought closed was closed for the day, but then river adventure did open up at some point.

Yes, I was under list view, but the wait times were just missing for some rides. The little black box in the upper left hand corner was just missing. Looked the same as camp Jurassic, but was actual rides. And it switched during the day as to which rides were missing the info. I would normally think closed, but other rides had closed in that black box or delayed. For example, river adventure said closed while flyers had nothing and hulk was listed as delayed the first time we checked. Later Hagrids had no black box and now flyers had 15 minutes and river raft was open. But at this point we were in HP and walked past and it was a 60 minute wait for hagrids. However, when we walked past flyers we saw none running. But for all I know none were riding because no one was in line at that point because later when it said 15 it was a walk on.

I also didn't understand the difference between closed and delayed. I thought closed was closed for the day, but then river adventure did open up at some point.

Weird. I went today for the first time to check out the app while in park and it showed all wait times for the attractions. May have been a one-off glitch?

I will say I used the dining/mobile ordering on Friday night and found it much improved over previous versions.

Weird. I went today for the first time to check out the app while in park and it showed all wait times for the attractions. May have been a one-off glitch?

I will say I used the dining/mobile ordering on Friday night and found it much improved over previous versions.
100% the dining mobile did not glitch and scanned my pass fine.

Hopefully it was a one off or they fixed whatever caused it to not show the wait time.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
It comes down to what costs them less... paying several teammembers to staff the fryer or paying one or two maintenance for Mr Roboto

....unless this new robosaurus is actually human controlled with technological precision without them missing the sunset :cold_sweat:

"The future.. it's happening.. today!...." *gulp*

Maybe not cost cutting, but it at least paints an interesting picture into some of the resorts staffing challenges.
I don't think this automation has to do with staffing challenges. They're not replacing workers on factory lines because they don't get any applicants, they're doing it because it saves them a substantial amount of money.

That said, yes, Universal certainly appears to be struggling to fully staff its operation (particularly in foods). Though, as we've noted before, I'd hesitate to say it's unique in this respect (it is, of course, unique in its opening of a massive theme park next year, obviously).

I'm sure we'll all have a much better understanding of Universal's staffing troubles we have the chance to visit USF post-EU (because, let's be real, it will probably mostly hit USF).