Universal Parks adjusts Accessibility Access Policies | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Parks adjusts Accessibility Access Policies

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Seems like both parks are changing how guests require additional assistance by requiring a new IBCCES Individual Accessibility Card (IAC).

seems interesting. I called universal today when I saw this and they didn’t even know about it at first and after putting me on hold they seemed to find their stuff out. They said after we submitted the card application Universal GS will call you in 48 hours to talk about your needs.

I wonder how the documentation of your special needs will work

I thought it was I’ll illegal to ask someone about their disability

Reactions: Kichkinet85
I wonder how the documentation of your special needs will work

I thought it was I’ll illegal to ask someone about their disability
It is somewhat but they don’t ask about exactly what it is to my knowledge. I haven’t filled out the form for it yet so I’m not sure what exactly it askes. But in order to get a pass even before this change they asked.

In other parks like BG it always been super easy and they just give it to you without asking anything. This means people abused it and got it when they didn’t really need it and only didn’t want to stand in line. Universal always had a more in depth process but people still found ways to abuse it. I’m sure this is to put an end to people abusing it.

Just absolutely disgusting. I understand that the system has been abused by people but this is the worst possible solution... Very invasive, so crappy to the people who actually need it and don't have everything this new process requires. Ugh.
Angry American Idol GIF

I'm genuinely curious here, and not trying to be callous - but I don't see how it's invasive? They want a medical professional to agree that you cannot stand in line or with crowds. It doesn't seem it asking to reveal any diagnosis or specifics of any medical condition.

By perusing their website, the company is an accredited business (with an A+ score), accredited as an education partner, and works with the VA.

I understand that there may be issues in certain examples (especially with how many people not being aware of needing to pre-register), but from my POV - it looks like it's trying to weed out the system's abusers while also accommodating those with actual disabilities.

I'm genuinely curious here, and not trying to be callous - but I don't see how it's invasive? They want a medical professional to agree that you cannot stand in line or with crowds. It doesn't seem it asking to reveal any diagnosis or specifics of any medical condition.

By perusing their website, the company is an accredited business (with an A+ score), accredited as an education partner, and works with the VA.

I understand that there may be issues in certain examples (especially with how many people not being aware of needing to pre-register), but from my POV - it looks like it's trying to weed out the system's abusers while also accommodating those with actual disabilities.
Basically, you just need a "Doctor's Note" saying you need one.

I think my issue is how the process element could occur. Particularly for the case of international guests, and those with cognitive disabilities.

Hope it turns out for the better, but I will remain cautious.

Reactions: snayberry

What I’m worried about is that it states after you fill this out, get the doctors notes and are approved, universal team members will still reach out to you to see if you qualify for a pass. So after all that, you could still be denied a pass from a team member.

Someone called Universal Guest Services and it seems they don’t know if someone will call you or you just have to stop by guest services like before. They should set up a team to reach out to people.

Last edited:
Definitely an issue for anyone that doesn’t check the Universal site. I don’t and would have no idea about it if I didn’t get off work when I did and open FB when I did and saw a post about it. Which caused me to go to the website.
Someone called Universal Guest Services and it seems they don’t know if someone will call you or you just have to stop by guest services like before. They should set up a team to reach out to people.
I called them. I was confused about the process epically after filling it out. Would you still have to go to GS in the park and get a card from them or does the card you get act like theirs? When I called them the seemed to have no idea and after a while put me on hold. After a while of waiting he came back and basically just told me what it said on the website. I asked one more question about it and he basically said he didn’t know. I understand someone in his position can’t possibly know everything epically when it changes but I seems like Universal themeselves have no idea about it really.
Basically, you just need a "Doctor's Note" saying you need one.
I feel like it’s a little more than that. I still kinda like it tho. It does ask for a “Doc. Note” but also their email, phone number, title, and NMI #. Basically seems to want to make sure the Doc is actual and not just a family friend. Also it needs to be updated every year it sounds like.

Last edited:
If it makes the process better and helps limit abuse that is a good thing. Universal has been awkward and painful when it comes to the passes.

The list on the card's website is super confusing because most of the things listed aren't even considered reasons to have the pass at Universal.

Also from the website they have a video of Discovery Cove, curious if SeaWorld is switching to this system as well.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 112932.png

Reactions: Kichkinet85
It's just a way for Universal to get confirmation rather than have to deal with guest telling them personally the issues. Because too many people tell them their condition rather than what they need.

Just absolutely disgusting. I understand that the system has been abused by people but this is the worst possible solution... Very invasive, so crappy to the people who actually need it and don't have everything this new process requires. Ugh.
Angry American Idol GIF
Is it a worse and does it suck even more for those who actually use it? Yes.

But the consequences of shitt-ee people are shitt-ee responses.

It sucks, but that can be said for about 1000 other things in my life that shouldn't have to happen but does because of abusers.

Its just the way the cookie crumbles.

If it makes the process better and helps limit abuse that is a good thing. Universal has been awkward and painful when it comes to the passes.

The list on the card's website is super confusing because most of the things listed aren't even considered reasons to have the pass at Universal.

Also from the website they have a video of Discovery Cove, curious if SeaWorld is switching to this system as well.

View attachment 19227
When you go to register, it asks what parks you might use the pass for. SeaWorld was one of them on the list.

It's just a way for Universal to get confirmation rather than have to deal with guest telling them personally the issues. Because too many people tell them their condition rather than what they need.
I’m guilty of this. I have said what disability I have and what it affects.
Is it a worse and does it suck even more for those who actually use it? Yes.

But the consequences of shitt-ee people are shitt-ee responses.

It sucks, but that can be said for about 1000 other things in my life that shouldn't have to happen but does because of abusers.

It’s just the way the cookie crumbles.
It dose kinda suck as if u need it you have to plan. But once it’s done you have it, at least for the year. I’m not sure what you have to do every year but it says it needs to be renewed. It will suck for families on vacation who need one and travel to Universal without knowing about it and go to GS to get a pass only to find out they need this and it needs 48 hours to be approved.
When you go to register, it asks what parks you might use the pass for. SeaWorld was one of them on the list.
BG/SW needed to update their pass for a while now. It’s been really easy to get. Last year when I went to BG for HOS there was a lot of people who had them.

Last edited:
Apparently this is becoming an industry standard. I just read some of the Six Flags parks were already using it, and apparently SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens are listed as parks participating as well, so it will probably roll out to them soon.

It seems like this is a great way to weed out fraud as well as something that theoretically could be registered for and renewed periodically rather than having to keep doing it with each park visit.

I worked Guest Relations at Six Flags and I can tell you the abuse of the system in all parks is ridiculous. So many people who "just had surgery and can't stand on line", but are well enough to ride a roller coaster. You try to help people and the system is abused. To have a company verify the legitimacy of the claim and simply green light it takes so much guess work out of it. People will still abuse it-- I think most doctors offices will give anyone a note for just about anything-- but anyone who has a legitimate medical reason should have no issue getting documentation to submit.

i don’t want to get too judgmental on people using it to skip the lines

The theme parks made it where waiting in line means nothing
Look at HHN last year in Hollywood and how Disney let’s in 9 lightening lane for every one normal ticketed guest