Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But I would also question the trend. Yes, Disney has some good options in newer sections -SW and Avatar are constantly mentioned (although it’s really, really bad that Ronto is never open), but most options, particularly at MGM and MK, are banal and unappetizing. Places like Minions, Today, Thunder, and the Potter spots easily rank with the top qs in Disney. I don’t think service is noticeably different either - I’ve never had as bad an experience at Uni as I did at Disney, waiting outside the SW qs in the pouring rain until our on-line order (the only option) was ready and they let us come inside.

Frankly, as negative as I might seem to be sometimes, I think there is still a significant bias among many theme park fans against Uni and in favor of Disney, and it manifests most frequently in terms of comments about food and service (Disneys “superior” service is a persistent myth that hasn’t been true for more then a decade).

A fun story about Disney food and service - a year or two ago I decided to try the Rose & Crown again after many years. The overpriced food immediately made me violently ill. I went to guest services and waited in a 40 minute line, feeling miserable. They gave me a phone number to call the next day where someone would determine if I “deserved” any kind of refund, explaining when pressed that a lot of guests lie. Mind-bogglingly awful.
It's definitely case-by-case examples, yeah. There is good and bad service at both locations.

But idk man, I had some truly awful service at UOR on my trip this month, to the point where it seemed like every TM at a certain quick service location were high at work or something. Then literally the very first CM I ran into at WDW, the security guard at my resort gate, greeted with me a huge smile and a positive attitude right off the bat. That was the Disney service I remember as a kid and seems to still be alive.

Reactions: UNIrd and IzzyB
It's definitely case-by-case examples, yeah. There is good and bad service at both locations.

But idk man, I had some truly awful service at UOR on my trip this month, to the point where it seemed like every TM at a certain quick service location were high at work or something. Then literally the very first CM I ran into at WDW, the security guard at my resort gate, greeted with me a huge smile and a positive attitude right off the bat. That was the Disney service I remember as a kid and seems to still be alive.
I visit Uni for long periods and I simply have not seen the difference in service discussed here. In particular, the service at Uni hotels is miles better than the service at equivalent Disney hotels. TMs in the park are great at both resorts. They are human and can be overwhelmed or have a bad day, but I’ve seen that more frequently at WDW then at Uni in many fewer recent visits.

I’d suggest that the idea of the “Disney difference” provides a framework that emphasizes positive interactions at Disney. A smiling guard registers as an example of the “difference.” There is no similar framework for Uni, so a smiling guard wouldn’t be taken as evidence of any larger truth. Indeed, I think a lot of folks still have a framework that emphasizes negative interactions at Uni.

There also seems to be an odd phenomenon in which Uni TMs get blamed for the lackluster performance of the app and the policies surrounding it (long waits for food, difficulty making changes, etc) whereas Disney cast members are not similarly blamed for Genie and the other terrible Disney online innovations (ironically, I think this is in part because the online experience at Disney is so obviously terrible).

I would note that I often travel with someone who is wheelchair-bound and has tremendous difficulty transferring and I have found Uni employees to be more cheerful and accommodating to this fact, though both resorts excel and the difference is usually down to policies and oppressive crowds at WDW.

I visit Uni for long periods and I simply have not seen the difference in service discussed here. In particular, the service at Uni hotels is miles better than the service at equivalent Disney hotels. TMs in the park are great at both resorts. They are human and can be overwhelmed or have a bad day, but I’ve seen that more frequently at WDW then at Uni in many fewer recent visits.

I’d suggest that the idea of the “Disney difference” provides a framework that emphasizes positive interactions at Disney. A smiling guard registers as an example of the “difference.” There is no similar framework for Uni, so a smiling guard wouldn’t be taken as evidence of any larger truth. Indeed, I think a lot of folks still have a framework that emphasizes negative interactions at Uni.

There also seems to be an odd phenomenon in which Uni TMs get blamed for the lackluster performance of the app and the policies surrounding it (long waits for food, difficulty making changes, etc) whereas Disney cast members are not similarly blamed for Genie and the other terrible Disney online innovations (ironically, I think this is in part because the online experience at Disney is so obviously terrible).

I would note that I often travel with someone who is wheelchair-bound and has tremendous difficulty transferring and I have found Uni employees to be more cheerful and accommodating to this fact, though both resorts excel and the difference is usually down to policies and oppressive crowds at WDW.
I firmly blame the poor app and poor dining experience on Universal and not the staff itself. I will say that when I have asked questions they seemed bothered I was bothering them even though it was 3 people just standing around. But my overall issue currently with universal is their dining experience and it isn't just me. All my friends have stated the same frustrations. It does "reduce" the magic/customer experience. It is each of these experiences that form someone's opinion of their experience and which park has a buster customer service. I don't think people blame the team members for the app, but it does reduce their customer experience when comparing to other parks.

I will say I am EXTREMELY happy that they are better with wheelchair. I will say awhile back that was not the case.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX

Once again, we are in full agreeance. I think people are more likely to highlight negative interactions at Uni, while also being more likely to highlight positive interactions at Disney.

Have I had some great CM interactions at Disney? Definitely!

However, I can wholeheartedly say that I have had SIGNIFICANTLY more positive interactions with Uni TMs - particularly in full-service restaurants and hotels.

Once again, we are in full agreeance. I think people are more likely to highlight negative interactions at Uni, while also being more likely to highlight positive interactions at Disney.
I don't think that's the case. If anything, Disney would be building itself up to disappointment with its precedence of delivering high-quality service and holding itself up to the "Disney standard" that it claims. Just the other day I saw a Universal TM go out of their way to take a photo for a guest, taking it from the floor to get a better angle. So it's not necessarily the fault of TMs... just management that requires unnecessary policies and lack of better training/information on their part.

You can have bad interactions at either resort obviously, but there's a general trend (just look at reviews of the Universal QSRs compared to WDW QSRs) that Universal is behind WDW, even with all of the improvements/changes they made in other areas of the resort experience.

I don't think people are complaining about TMs, but rather the policy that TMs are required to enforce by just pushing guests towards the app. If the TM isn't informed, because they don't have to be thanks to the app, and the app doesn't work... it's a recipe for frustration.

I don't think that's the case. If anything, Disney would be building itself up to disappointment with its precedence of delivering high-quality service and holding itself up to the "Disney standard" that it claims. Just the other day I saw a Universal TM go out of their way to take a photo for a guest, taking it from the floor to get a better angle. So it's not necessarily the fault of TMs... just management that requires unnecessary policies and lack of better training/information on their part.
For sure - I'm not talking about you or anyone in particular really, but as @Casper Gutman said, I think a lot of people at Disney will see a CM do something as simple as just being nice, and will say "Ah, there's the Disney difference." It's almost built into the brand like you said.

I think Disney is absolutely still ahead of Uni in some things, I just personally don't feel service is one of them.

Have I had some great CM interactions at Disney? Definitely!

However, I can wholeheartedly say that I have had SIGNIFICANTLY more positive interactions with Uni TMs - particularly in full-service restaurants and hotels.
How often do you go to both parks? Because if you go to one more you will of course have more positive experiences. For me I can say I am very rarely annoyed at Disney. That is where I am going with the difference.

You can have bad interactions at either resort obviously, but there's a general trend (just look at reviews of the Universal QSRs compared to WDW QSRs) that Universal is behind WDW, even with all of the improvements/changes they made in other areas of the resort experience.

I don't think people are complaining about TMs, but rather the policy that TMs are required to enforce by just pushing guests towards the app. If the TM isn't informed, because they don't have to be thanks to the app, and the app doesn't work... it's a recipe for frustration.
100% agreed, it isn't the team members, but the policies of the two parks that cause the service to be how it is. I think people think we are attacking Uni Team members and we are not. It is not their fault they don't know show times. Well, I would say the people who are in the wand line and literally see every showing of it, should know it by now, but not everyone is observant I guess.

The team members are not the ones that make the app, hide menu items, or come up with this dumb slower table service process.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
How often do you go to both parks? Because if you go to one more you will of course have more positive experiences. For me I can say I am very rarely annoyed at Disney. That is where I am going with the difference.
Absolutely, you're right. I'm at Universal more often and am very rarely annoyed at Universal. I'm rarely annoyed at Disney either, to be honest.

I think I'm just lucky enough to have not run into many, or any, of the issues being discussed in here in regard to service or the app. I think as a whole, Disney's app is better than Universal in regard to functionality - but I've gotten frustrated more often with Disney's app than Universal's.

Reactions: Nico
Absolutely, you're right. I'm at Universal more often and am very rarely annoyed at Universal. I'm rarely annoyed at Disney either, to be honest.

I think I'm just lucky enough to have not run into many, or any, of the issues being discussed in here in regard to service or the app. I think as a whole, Disney's app is better than Universal in regard to functionality - but I've gotten frustrated more often with Disney's app than Universal's.
Honestly, I don't go often enough to either to be anything less than grateful that I am there, which also skews ones assessment of issues.

100% agreed, it isn't the team members, but the policies of the two parks that cause the service to be how it is. I think people think we are attacking Uni Team members and we are not. It is not their fault they don't know show times. Well, I would say the people who are in the wand line and literally see every showing of it, should know it by now, but not everyone is observant I guess.

The team members are not the ones that make the app, hide menu items, or come up with this dumb slower table service process.

I go once a year since 2018 for HHN. This last year was the first year that I solely went to Universal and not the both of them. Disney was just getting worse every year. The service at the hotels, and restaurants were just outright bad the last three years I visited. 2022 was probably my worst experience at Disney. I have yet to experience that at Universal. The only time I can think I was annoyed with Universal was when I was trying to find out information on the lockers and none of the staff nearby could help me since they seemed to not know how.

Went to guest services and explained how it would be better for the park if the staff nearby the exit of the park, and therefore the lockers knew how to help with the lockers. Wasn't complaining, just genuinely wanted to give them some recommendations. They ended up giving me five express passes.

IN 2021,Disney security guards embarrassed my mom at the entrance removing all her items from her bag, including some women products, and were just absolutely rude to us. We went to guest services about it, and they ended up telling us that they were doing their job. Not once did they state they were in the wrong, even with another family (strangers) who witnessed the security guards, saying it looked bad.

We still gave Disney another visit in 2022, and they messed up our cabins at Fort Wilderness. My large family had purchased two cabins, and I guess they overbooked and we had to fit into one cabin for the first night. They didn't even try to make better accommodations for us and they only refunded us the one night for the cabin that they didn't have ready for us.

Something to note: I caught the Mel’s Drive in Show close to finish and it was a completely different presentation - focusing more on guest interaction and playing more oldies. I had heard they were retooling it and not outright closing so keeping ear out now.
This is great news. Really listening to guest feedback on it it sounds like.

Something to note: I caught the Mel’s Drive in Show close to finish and it was a completely different presentation - focusing more on guest interaction and playing more oldies. I had heard they were retooling it and not outright closing so keeping ear out now.
That's good to hear - glad to hear they're leaning more oldies. I was a bit confused when Top 40 stuff started playing lol

I’m fairly sure the show has been like that since before Christmas at least - I saw that guest-interaction version in December.