Universal Studios Japan/Osaka Report - Sept. 7th-8th | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan/Osaka Report - Sept. 7th-8th

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 9, 2010
Athens, GA
Hello guys! As some of you know, I’m currently living in Okinawa, Japan (but on a whole separate island from the parks, or I’d frequent them, mind you ;) ) and I finally got the opportunity to travel to Universal Studios Japan. It was my first major trip anywhere by myself, as well as my first “solo” theme park trip (to change later down the line…). I had originally planned on checking out their version of Halloween Horror Nights, but not only did I know that it’s less spectacular than the version in Orlando, but I figured I’d see something uniquely Japan. In the summertime they have this event based around an extremely popular anime called One Piece (it just happens to be one of my favorites as well), called “One Piece Premier Summer.” The park features lots of themed food in all of the restaurants, decorations, merchandise… well, you’ll see what I mean. Sections of the park were completely decked out in One Piece theming. Osaka's not much of a tourist trap persay - people looking for attractions usually come for Universal, but I did head out into the city once to find a Disney Store (my island doesn't have any ;) ), so I'll show you a bit of that too. :smiley:

Part 1: The Travel

I flew out at the butt crack of dawn or at least the earliest flight I could get, in hopes of getting maximum park time even though I knew full well that it wasn’t the largest park I’d ever get to go to and thus wouldn't need a thousand hours to do everything.

8331910427_1420fbbeba_b.jpg

8332967052_d66090aeaa_b.jpg

8332965050_78a1a0b791_b.jpg

Since there's not much else tourists go to Osaka for, there's advertisements for it everywhere - even on the airport elevators!

8332963556_62e2e5f7a3_b.jpg

8313850966_a61320f0a1_b.jpg

8331903499_b1cdfd7d7e_b.jpg

I did get a little lost in the airport, because unlike Tokyo or the American saturated island I'm on, it's not as English friendly or western as I would have desired, but most Japanese have a handle on English anyways and they're very friendly and waiting to help you out. Much to my surprise, I only saw a handful of any Americans, British, etc. there. Probably 4. The park was geared way more towards local tourists than international ones! But more on that later. I had to take a train from the airport to the hotel I stayed at, with only one train change I had to do. It was kind of funny, because I was way unsure about whether or not I was getting on the right train at the airport, so I would walk on and walk off and try to ask random people if it was the right one, but most didn't understand me. Eventually I boarded and figured out that it was the right one and was on there for a good 40 minutes before I had to change. There wasn't much scenery-wise to take a picture of. It was mostly just buildings packed together (nothing is as spread out as it is in America anywhere in Japan) that weren't very visually appealing. We did go past the water a few times, and we passed the Ferris Wheel on the way, though.

8331902371_9c3583cae1_b.jpg

The end station was indeed Universal City. There was legitimately nowhere else to go at that station but Citywalk! And with the yen to dollar rate (which I'm unfortunately used to) sucked, so it was pretty expensive.

8313837975_a3bdf4c748_b.jpg

At the airport, they even had a sign specifically telling you the directions to Universal on the trains.

8314883964_7f6874ce8f_b.jpg

They had advertisements for the kid friendly Halloween event on the trains, and various other places. There aren't really billboards in Japan, though there are some ads on the side of buildings, so that part of the amping up wasn't really present. Anyways, there was a lot of prep for the event at the park, since I went at the end of the One Piece event, with the Halloween events (there was more than one) starting the next week.

8312803631_26e63e6eb5_b.jpg

8331901053_1785875a3f_b.jpg

8331899513_b561773414_b.jpg

8313833119_fb81c6da8a_b.jpg

Finally here, and mega excited!! (Note: Due to my location, I haven't been to a theme park [aside from a tiny one in South Korea called Lotte World] since summer of 2010) And the blue platypuses aren't really relevant. They're a company mascot that happens to sponsor Universal, or the train line. I never figured out which, but concerning the train stations they were everywhere.

8331897797_4d0777edd6_b.jpg

This is a wall before you exit the station into Citywalk (obviously meant for people leaving the park). I'm sure you've noticed by now that all of the advertising is full of Sesame Street, Hello Kitty, and Snoopy advertising. I was a little surprised by it for many reasons, such as how Sesame Street is part of Busch Gardens in the states, etc. For one, the characters for kids tend to take a backseat to everyone else attraction wise in advertising, merch, etc. in the states, but here you'll be lucky to find merchandise that doesn't have them on it (and boy do they make a lot of money off of it... everybody was decked out in it). It's like they're the main focus of the park, and the rest of it takes a backseat. What's still funny is that the Wonderland section (their "Kidzone") was not only the biggest section of the park, but it's not like only kids were in there. The Japanese were eating it up!! They love the characters and the attractions, and found much joy in it. Anyways, just a little blurb to keep in mind while you're reading. :smiley:

8312805699_d262b68f36_b.jpg

Interestingly enough, more than half (and I'd say it's quite a bit more than half) of the people are frequent visitors! They've all been there, done that, and already are ready to be on their way in the parks. It's like everybody is one of us, and it was a pleasant surprise!

Next up... Citywalk and the Hotel Experience

Alright this is great stuff, keep it coming :thumbs:

Ah, I want to make it out to the Japanese parks someday! I had no idea Osaka was so far from Tokyo; I just assumed they would build in/near the same cities like in the states.

Anyways, looking forward to your next update!

Wonderland seems like a good example of how we can have a multi-franchise strong Kidzone here in Orlando.

YAY! So glad I found this thread! Can't wait to hear more, you're doing great!

I would love to make it out to Japan someday, I hear the people are amazing. If you don't mind me asking, what nationality are you?

YAY! So glad I found this thread! Can't wait to hear more, you're doing great!

I would love to make it out to Japan someday, I hear the people are amazing. If you don't mind me asking, what nationality are you?
I'm American - My dad is part of that U.S. Air Force, so we move around a lot. I'll be moving to Orlando as soon as my family out-processes in summer 2014. International moves suck compared to just a stateside move from where ever they end up. :lol:

Thanks for your responses, guys! I'm almost done with the second part, and just a forewarning, this whole report will be very picture heavy. It should be up by the end of my day/in your mornings. :thumbs:

I'm American - My dad is part of that U.S. Air Force, so we move around a lot. I'll be moving to Orlando as soon as my family out-processes in summer 2014. International moves suck compared to just a stateside move from where ever they end up. :lol:

Thanks for your responses, guys! I'm almost done with the second part, and just a forewarning, this whole report will be very picture heavy. It should be up by the end of my day/in your mornings. :thumbs:
:thumbs: I look forward to reading it. Having been to Japan myself I liked Osaka and Tokyo was alot of fun too. :cheers: Thank you for posting your report.

Part 2: Citywalk and the Hotel Experience

So, as I said, you exit the station and right before you is Citywalk (and there's no where else to go, either: this is the sole purpose of this station :lol:). I'm not going to lie, I teared up a bit and got very giddy that I was finally here after years without Universal, or any theme park for that matter. Something I noticed was that this resort wasn't very spread out. The hotels were in Citywalk, the park right there next to it. I didn't take as many Citywalk pictures the first day because I was so eager to get in the park, but there are tons more later (in better lighting too - it was sunny the next day rather than overcast!).

Even though it was a park more geared towards locals and I saw less than 7 "westerners" there, there were still little nods to America that I thought were a little comical. This was one of them, but despite the name, it wasn't a store. It's what we'd probably call an arcade, except there were only a couple of actual games and the rest of it was full of UFO catchers (pictured later). UFO catchers are huge here, and what they actually are, are varieties of different grab machines. Japan is in love with them, and they're actually nice looking machines that give you a chance, rather than the beat up American ones with crappy prizes in them. Another side note: those little machines on the left hand side on the outside of the store are like the quarter machines in the states that spit out candy or small toys. These are pretty big in Japan too, except they're usually full of Disney or Anime characters, and they tend to be phone charms a lot, also big over here (plus they're expensive - Y200 a piece!). Just a small piece of Japanese culture some of you are interested in. :thumbs:

8313857154_eb0a23a5f9_b.jpg

My hotel is actually barely not shown in this picture, being a little further back in the corner there. It's the Kintetsu Hotel Universal City. At this point I went and checked in so I could drop my suitcase and backpack off and head into the park. It was a little bit of a lengthy process being able to communicate with the check in desk, but everybody was really friendly and eventually all was well and I got my luggage dropped out and everything. Price-wise it was very reasonable - around Y8000 I believe which was around 100 dollars, maybe a bit more since I'm relying off of memory but this is an on site hotel. I will say that you didn't have the opportunity to do a lot of the things in your average onsite hotel in the states - no pool, spa, etc, but it did it's job. There are no express passes that come with your room, and it's not a key card, just your average key (that you aren't allowed to leave the hotel with - you have to drop it off at the desk and retrieve it again when you come back). You did get a nice booklet of discounts on things like express passes (which is a completely different system than in America), and the nice buffet restaurant inside you get $10 off of. But anyways, there is a pretty decent language barrier, but they're willing to work with you. Just make sure you've printed off your confirmation. ;)

Also, buying your tickets online isn't as big here (and especially more complicated since the English translation of the site is lacking) so I just bought them at the hotel and I'm not going to lie, especially with the yen rate the two day pass wasn't that much cheaper than buying two separate ones, especially with only one park to visit. I don't remember what it was, but it was over $100, I think a significant amount. But so worth it to me. After more language barrier issues, but still recieving service with a smile, I made my way through the rest of Citywalk (don't worry, I have pictures of the hotel I stayed at and the lobby and everything!).

8314871726_2c168f6e13_b.jpg

This is the sign for an anime/manga shop full of merchandise geared towards it called Jump Shot.

8312809377_95157b7d42_b.jpg

There's a lot to point out in this shot, but it's the length of the main part of Citywalk, with the shops on one side and a big wall on the other. I had originally thought that construction was happening there, but upon further research I found that behind it is a cast parking lot. No, that's not where the Wizarding World is. :lol: On the left side, on the information sign are advertisements for the One Piece event I was there for. A few of the shops are in Citywalk in the states (like Fossil), but most were Japanese like the Mos Burger you can see in the background.

8313820727_58065221bd_b.jpg

Yes, that is a McDonalds, which usually people would be like "Oh, it's just fast food, meh." A little side thought, is that the Japanese have much stricter health standards so not only is the food better for you, it even tastes better. Plus they have all of the funky flavors you might have heard about. So don't knock it until you try it (although, I would recommend you try other Japanese foods first)! And that little character under the Citywalk sign is a Takoyaki, sort of an Octopus dumpling. Osaka is famous for them, and that little guy is advertising for a Takoyaki "Museum" upstairs. Good opportunity to try something new and strictly Japanese. ;) And that store to the right of him is just your dime a dozen in Japan cute clothing/accessory store (and ladies that go, Japanese sizes are tiny, so good luck clothing shopping).

8313816549_9c64ea2dbd_b.jpg

I did eat at the Hard Rock, but I'll report on that later. It wasn't anything crazy special, but good none the less.

8313928232_e8462b7bcf_b.jpg

8313927052_10bf9f1deb_b.jpg

Turn right around after looking at the Hard Rock, and you're facing the arches!! :smiley:

8313925616_ebefa97ab4_b.jpg

With the oh so popular Sesame Street character statues on either side! And the pink character next to Elmo in the second photo is a character just for Universal Japan named Moppi who appeared quite a few places and was featured in a stage show in the Wonderland section.

8313924270_9eea853141_b.jpg

8312873523_3ab974c9bc_b.jpg

Citywalk looking back the other way.

8313921622_122eea6501_b.jpg

And the full view of the gate and a top notch coaster - the Hollywood Dream.

8313917622_75ac4e3aa1_b.jpg

8312810799_0dd29e4b9c_b.jpg

Look right before you enter the arches, and you're looking at the globe. :smiley: At this point I started crying and was calling various people about how much I missed the parks. Yep. I'm a wimp and my feelings were overwhelming! :thumbs:

8313870854_b333de873b_b.jpg

Looking through the arches the other way is pretty cool. Actually, the foremost tall building is one hotel, the yellow and blue one behind it was mine, and the one to the right of the main arch was the nicest one. I absolutely adored just being able to exit my hotel and the park was right there. No bus, water taxi, or long walking route. Just there.

8312819219_735d136a78_b.jpg

This is the Studio Gifts store before you enter the gates. Just pointing out a couple of small things before we even enter. The things hanging up on the rack to the right are hooded towels that you put around yourself and snap into place that legitimately most people in the park have on. It's one of the things that's just generally done and accepted, as well as the fun hats and headbands (and I would end up with one of each). Everybody's got one on their head. And again, you can sort of see the fascination with the Sesame Street characters in merchandise through the ad on the window. In terms of merchandise, the order of importance seemed to be:

1. Sesame Street
2. Hello Kitty
3. Spiderman
4. Jaws (yay!) and Jurassic Park
5. Snoopy

8312817763_7f775756e4_b.jpg

This was a Thursday, so it wasn't too crowded.

8313865714_4ede8bda3c_b.jpg

Next: I start delving into the park... :smiley:

Reactions: grizzlybarely
Awesome reporting here, thank you. Feels like we're there with you.

Hope you have some Wizarding World info ...

Just letting you know that I am really enjoying your posts! I have Japanese friends who live in Osaka and they love Universal Japan. I really want to visit it myself to experience the Japanese JAWS. Jawzu Jawzu!

Amazing report so far :happy:. Loving all the pics and also the little details and meaning behind some of the things we aren't used to seeing. Id love to see pictures of the Japanese landscape from he train ride if you have those also.