Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 412 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For SNW was it two floors or three floors? The concept art shows three different levels but I know Mario Kart was technically two levels.
Two floors for guests in SNW. Anything above that in concept art is just for show, like to hold animated coins, clouds and koopas etc, viewable from inside the land, above the Yoshi ride.

Posing a interesting new idea,

If attractions (Rides and shows) were an hour and thirty minute to two hour experiences (as in not idly standing in line or waiting but an active participant), would there be an interest or would that be too much and too long?

Posing a interesting new idea,

If attractions (Rides and shows) were an hour and thirty minute to two hour experiences (as in not idly standing in line or waiting but an active participant), would there be an interest or would that be too much and too long?

Way too long. Because what happens if there aren't enough people in line?

As for potential roller coasters in the new park, it seems like F.L.Y at Phantasialand, world's first launched flying coaster, will have sit-down dark-ride portions in addition to the launches (there's also a lift-hill before the first launch, for whatever reason). It won't be long before this shows up in the States.

For those who are interested, here is the current layout for F.L.Y. with color-coded track. Via [ Bear ] on Coasterforce.

J9hNR01.jpg

Flying track (red) | Sitdown track (black) | Lifthill (purple) | Launch (orange) | Brakes (blue) | Loading Station (light green) | Unloading Station (dark green)

Reactions: shiekra38
As for potential roller coasters in the new park, it seems like F.L.Y at Phantasialand, world's first launched flying coaster, will have sit-down dark-ride portions in addition to the launches (there's also a lift-hill before the first launch, for whatever reason). It won't be long before this shows up in the States.

For those who are interested, here is the current layout for F.L.Y. with color-coded track. Via [ Bear ] on Coasterforce.

J9hNR01.jpg

Flying track (red) | Sitdown track (black) | Lifthill (purple) | Launch (orange) | Brakes (blue) | Loading Station (light green) | Unloading Station (dark green)
BERK!

Berk Berk Berk Berk Berk...

Way too long. Because what happens if there aren't enough people in line?

I think you didn't understand what I was getting at as people not being in line shouldn't effect it. In all honesty outside Express/Reception Area, no one should be standing in line longer than 10 minutes. Let me paint a picture because that was the easiest one I can think of to demonstrate my point. Each waiting area acts as an attraction in its on right and would have the ability to be bypassed depending on levels. It also helps even out the Express/Standby Numbers because Standby will actively have things to do for at least 40 minutes while Express bypasses that which will help out with the Standby vs Express distribution. I will paint an example using an IP underneath. It pretty much just a combination of Fallon, Gringotts, what Universal is doing with some of their temporary attractions in Japan, and the rumoured Star Wars attraction queue.

cUuwSWT.jpg

Example Ride: Pokemon Safari Zone Attraction

Reception Area [15 Minutes holding area): Bathrooms, lockers, Access control area. Can't be bypassed and shows Pokemon Movie/TV show clips
Waiting Area #1 [15-20 minutes/ time can be adjusted by Ride operators]: Interactive Pokemon Playground/Pokemon Contest show (5-10 minute duration) Signals the room switch by changing from Day to Night within the room.
- (Express Entrance Bypass)
Waiting Area #2: Pokemon Petting Zoo/Laboratory
Preshow #1: Pokemon History by The Professors
Preshow #2: Demonstration of the Starter Pokemon
Staging Areas: Pokedex issue/Pokeball issue/Tutorial
Interactive Pre-Rides: Flying to the Safari zone
Preshow #3 and Staging Area: Ride Safety Video
Ride Attraction/Child Swap Attraction: Pokemon Safari (Main Attraction)/Pokemon no height limit flat ride (Child Swap Attraction)
Post Ride Show-Returning of issued equipment and a thank you by Safari staff

Total Attraction Time:
Standby (Non Busy): 115 Minutes
Standby (Busy): 150 Minutes
Express: 75 minutes

I think it works possibly for certain things. If the ride line is constantly 2 hours long like Star Wars and I’m sure Nintendo/Pokémon will be it might be ok. I would never wait in a 2 hour standing line, but might that. The problem is this would still get backed up and have people fighting to get to the ride and not really sticking around.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I think you didn't understand what I was getting at as people not being in line shouldn't effect it. In all honesty outside Express/Reception Area, no one should be standing in line longer than 10 minutes. Let me paint a picture because that was the easiest one I can think of to demonstrate my point. Each waiting area acts as an attraction in its on right and would have the ability to be bypassed depending on levels. It also helps even out the Express/Standby Numbers because Standby will actively have things to do for at least 40 minutes while Express bypasses that which will help out with the Standby vs Express distribution. I will paint an example using an IP underneath. It pretty much just a combination of Fallon, Gringotts, what Universal is doing with some of their temporary attractions in Japan, and the rumoured Star Wars attraction queue.

cUuwSWT.jpg

Example Ride: Pokemon Safari Zone Attraction

Reception Area [15 Minutes holding area): Bathrooms, lockers, Access control area. Can't be bypassed and shows Pokemon Movie/TV show clips
Waiting Area #1 [15-20 minutes/ time can be adjusted by Ride operators]: Interactive Pokemon Playground/Pokemon Contest show (5-10 minute duration) Signals the room switch by changing from Day to Night within the room.
- (Express Entrance Bypass)
Waiting Area #2: Pokemon Petting Zoo/Laboratory
Preshow #1: Pokemon History by The Professors
Preshow #2: Demonstration of the Starter Pokemon
Staging Areas: Pokedex issue/Pokeball issue/Tutorial
Interactive Pre-Rides: Flying to the Safari zone
Preshow #3 and Staging Area: Ride Safety Video
Ride Attraction/Child Swap Attraction: Pokemon Safari (Main Attraction)/Pokemon no height limit flat ride (Child Swap Attraction)
Post Ride Show-Returning of issued equipment and a thank you by Safari staff

Total Attraction Time:
Standby (Non Busy): 115 Minutes
Standby (Busy): 150 Minutes
Express: 75 minutes
Remember Disaster, that took a while to go trough. After I had seen it a few times I didn't bother anymore.
Whay you are saying is how I see Diagon Alley. The whole area is an interactive playground with shows, shops, restaurants, toilets and a ride. Love it and I can easily stay there a few hours. But I'm not forced to do anything or be horded into a room/area I don't care for.

I think it works possibly for certain things. If the ride line is constantly 2 hours long like Star Wars and I’m sure Nintendo/Pokémon will be it might be ok. I would never wait in a 2 hour standing line, but might that. The problem is this would still get backed up and have people fighting to get to the ride and not really sticking around.

Yes this would really only be for large scale D and E ticket attractions. I think there could be the likelihood of getting backed up is possible however with proper preplanning and master designing it could be mitigated but then again lot of ride backups aren't due to ride design but ride operations. You can add in more spaces and adjust as necessary. The great current thing about UC is the increase of using multi level attractions and plans so even doing this could still maintain a reasonable footprint.

It can also add way more story/background/world building that people want and now expect at theme parks.

I just think more people are done and over with the switchback style queues and standing around. Add in this is expected to be more family based park and strollers not being allowed in queues, now you have a lot more space for people with younger children to have much more to entertain them with for the bulk of the queue. Additionally if I'm in a new park with huge IPs and all the e-tickets happen to have 2+ hour lines at least this way, people will feel even if they only did 4-5 attractions that they did something other than stand in line all day.

Remember Disaster, that took a while to go trough. After I had seen it a few times I didn't bother anymore.
Whay you are saying is how I see Diagon Alley. The whole area is an interactive playground with shows, shops, restaurants, toilets and a ride. Love it and I can easily stay there a few hours. But I'm not forced to do anything or be horded into a room/area I don't care for.

You are going to have to be in some form or sequential queuing to go to an attraction anyway why not enjoy and have things to do throughout including having the ability to sit down and chill or go and play with your family vs standing in a elaborate queue that is mainly still switchbacks?

Here’s the thing about an attraction that long:

Parks don’t want you in them.

The longer you’re in a ride, the less time you’re on the street spending money

Thats's a relatively easy fix which Universal also tested out in Japan. Sailor Moon sold wands that the guests could use to participate during the attraction...wasn't necessary but an additional thing that responded to the attraction. It was a huge hit and boosted sales and repeat visits.

Additionally, like King Cross station, sell stuff within the queue...people aren't standing in line so you can have staff move through with merch and display unique features.

Nothing stopping Universal from implementing that as well which then the guest would find way more value in buying something that has way more use (like interactive merch) than anything else.

Use that model for a Pokémon based escape room. Go through all the training, Pokémon selection, and then team rocket intervenes and you need to escape And save your Pokémon. Charge for it and place it in city walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.