Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 108 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone who thinks HTTYD is a mid IP is sus, to use the parlance. I get we're all jaded millennials but HTTYD has had three movies, several shorts, and three television series, including one still running. All within 12 years. It's big.
Also video games. Especially being the more kid-oriented section of the park, it should be a popular area.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Anyone who thinks HTTYD is a mid IP is sus, to use the parlance. I get we're all jaded millennials but HTTYD has had three movies, several shorts, and three television series, including one still running. All within 12 years. It's big.
Wonder what discussions boards would've been like in 1997 when they saw the IOA lineup... :lol:
I imagine something like this:

"What the hell is a Spider-Man?!?"

I mean, you guys can just go ahead and quote me directly next time lol

I dont know how to explain this any better…my point wasn’t that the IP lineup is BAD or could improve any…just that Dragons and Monsters don’t have the expansive lore that dictate their lands NEED to be straight-up recreations. And that the third iteration of Potter in Orlando would also probably benefit from a shake-up in the formula. That’s all.

Last edited:

It's also evergreen - dragons and vikings. Even if you've never seen the movies, there's inherent appeal to that theme/type of environment.

I tend to like lands I never would’ve guessed once a park opens. I didn’t care about Marvel in the 90s yet Spider-Man ended up being my favorite ride. And Lost Continent seemed lame to me before it opened, not based on movies or anything, but it’s where I spent the most time, soaking in the ambiance and re-riding Dueling Dragons.

Considering Jurassic Park is my favorite film of all time, I never would’ve predicted it would have my least favorite attractions in the park.

It's a fine choice for the very reason @Clive explains...
It's also evergreen - dragons and vikings. Even if you've never seen the movies, there's inherent appeal to that theme/type of environment.

... but each HTTYD sequel made successively less than the movie before it, so it's not some kind of a juggernaut franchise. But it also doesn't need to be in order to be a successful land. If it's executed well and the attractions are good (we'll see!), it will be a solid area, regardless of the IP's pop culture relevance level.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I tend to like lands I never would’ve guessed once a park opens. I didn’t care about Marvel in the 90s yet Spider-Man ended up being my favorite ride. And Lost Continent seemed lame to me before it opened, not based on movies or anything, but it’s where I spent the most time, soaking in the ambiance and re-riding Dueling Dragons.

Considering Jurassic Park is my favorite film of all time, I never would’ve predicted it would have my least favorite attractions in the park.
Spiderman is what got most of us into theme parks and inspired places like IOA Central

The land has only gotten better with age as well

We can't negate the fact that things may take some time to grow on us, and one good attraction really enhances a land/park

Imagine IOA without Spiderman

It's a fine choice for the very reason @Clive explains...

... but each HTTYD sequel made successively less than the movie before it, so it's not some kind of a juggernaut franchise. But it also doesn't need to be in order to be a successful land. If it's executed well and the attractions are good (we'll see!), it will be a solid area, regardless of the IP's pop culture relevance level.
HTTYD hasn't cemented itself into culture the way that Mario and HP have, that's a very high standard to set

Yet, I'm not concerned about Toothless plushies not selling in gift shops and The Great Hall restaurant not being filled most of the time

Besides, SNW is the juggernaut IP of Epic

Dragons will be fine...especially since it skews to a younger demographic than even Nintendo. Young kids will absolutely love it, and so will the older kids. ...And the parents, of course, will be there with them. I'm sure the land
will get a good crowd, especially the weeks that school is out.

I mean, when Universal’s most successful show is based off WaterWorld, it becomes pretty clear that the IP doesn’t need to be relevant for the attraction to do well. And in this case, HTTYD is still pretty relevant and I’m sure this land is gonna sell itself well in the environments is has. This could very well end up being the most beautiful land at the park

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Spiderman is what got most of us into theme parks and inspired places like IOA Central

The land has only gotten better with age as well

We can't negate the fact that things may take some time to grow on us, and one good attraction really enhances a land/park

Imagine IOA without Spiderman
IMO the park would have failed without Spider-Man. It was the only phenomenal attraction in the park before Harry Potter opened, and probably helped convince JK Rowling to lend them the IP.

Reactions: Darko and shiekra38
IMO the park would have failed without Spider-Man. It was the only phenomenal attraction in the park before Harry Potter opened, and probably helped convince JK Rowling to lend them the IP.
I heard that Audrey Geisel ultimately convinced her, but I'm sure she saw Marvel at some point

And yes Spiderman is a huuuge part of what makes IOA truly spectacular

Reactions: SeventyOne