Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 183 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And what has changed?
Weakness of theme park attendance throughout the US, most especially WDW & even Universal Orlando to a degree. Execs. were attributing 2023 attendance weakness to an after effect of the 2021/2022 revenge covid crowds and heat. But now 2024 has probably been worse, and its getting a little late to keep blaming that revenge travel, especially when overall tourism is still strong. Parks may have all hit a wall on their pricing after all these years of ticket/food/merchandise/hotel increases well above the yearly inflation rates. Even large ticket discounts this past year only had minimal effect of stabilizing attendance. The luster may be wearing thin....And that's all happened with a fairly healthy economy. And while I don't see a recession in 2025, my 'guess' is that the economy will be weaker than it's been the last couple of years due to a lot of lagging economic indicators that have been popping up the last couple of months.......But....this is all just my 'personal opinion' and observation :) . Many may think otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: IzzyB and MrBlonde
Weakness of theme park attendance throughout the US, most especially WDW & even Universal Orlando to a degree. Execs. were attributing 2023 attendance weakness to an after effect of the 2021/2022 revenge covid crowds and heat. But now 2024 has probably been worse, and its getting a little late to keep blaming that revenge travel, especially when overall tourism is still strong. Parks may have all hit a wall on their pricing after all these years of ticket/food/merchandise/hotel increases well above the yearly inflation rates. Even large ticket discounts this past year only had minimal effect of stabilizing attendance. The luster may be wearing thin....And that's all happened with a fairly healthy economy. And while I don't see a recession in 2025, my 'guess' is that the economy will be weaker than it's been the last couple of years due to a lot of lagging economic indicators that have been popping up the last couple of months.......But....this is all just my 'personal opinion' and observation :) . Many may think otherwise.
I think its more so just there is nothing really new in Orlando that is attracting people that people think are worth the expenses for a florida vacation....

Reactions: Jake S
I think its more so just there is nothing really new in Orlando that is attracting people that people think are worth the expenses for a florida vacation....
Particularly after a couple years when Orlando punched above its weight post-(and during) COVID. I think projecting 2025 is tricky for a lot of reasons, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me think these theme parks are in a dicey situation in the medium to long term.

Well that is about to change.

Keep feeling people are underestimating the potential Epic Universe has. It looks impressive clearly but I think it's going to be a greater than the sum of its parts situation.

Opening a brand new theme park in this era is kind of new territory.

Nothing against universal, but Disney announcements would drown that out with no effort.
It's pretty amazing just how large the Disney fanbase is compared to the overall theme park fanbase. People have always laughed at me (not on here) when I would say that Disney could announce Food & Wine menus at the same time as a new coaster at Universal and F&W will get the larger reaction lol

To this day, there are still "we only go to Disney" crowds, so it'll be interesting to see how (if) Epic changes that.

For whatever it’s worth, I haven’t been to a Florida theme park since 2011. Too expensive (generally). Too complicated (for us, mostly). And we went so frequently prior to then, there hasn’t been a big enough (singular) addition to warrant a special trip for it.

Now, obviously, I know what Epic entails more than the general public, but I’m planning on us taking a trip expressly for Epic. More importantly, the SO hasn’t immediately squashed it. There is enough, in this, for both of us.

It’s anecdotal, but once marketing kicks off in full (ESPECIALLY the Super Bowl commercial), I think a lot of the conversation will change.

It's pretty amazing just how large the Disney fanbase is compared to the overall theme park fanbase. People have always laughed at me (not on here) when I would say that Disney could announce Food & Wine menus at the same time as a new coaster at Universal and F&W will get the larger reaction lol

To this day, there are still "we only go to Disney" crowds, so it'll be interesting to see how (if) Epic changes that.
I don’t think it will. Epic may change “theme park people”’s visiting patterns, but Disney will always draw a contingent of non-theme park people that are never going anywhere else (or at least, not to another park).

For whatever it’s worth, I haven’t been to a Florida theme park since 2011. Too expensive (generally). Too complicated (for us, mostly). And we went so frequently prior to then, there hasn’t been a big enough (singular) addition to warrant a special trip for it.

Now, obviously, I know what Epic entails more than the general public, but I’m planning on us taking a trip expressly for Epic. More importantly, the SO hasn’t immediately squashed it. There is enough, in this, for both of us.

It’s anecdotal, but once marketing kicks off in full (ESPECIALLY the Super Bowl commercial), I think a lot of the conversation will change.
You may not have been in a while but with almost 10,000 posts on a theme park fan site I’d say you’re probably not representative of the general public at large.

I don’t think it will. Epic may change “theme park people”’s visiting patterns, but Disney will always draw a contingent of non-theme park people that are never going anywhere else (or at least, not to another park).
Mainly referring to those uber Disney fans that consider Universal as a 2nd tier experience and have yet to attend UOR. But, I'd imagine Epic will at least finally convince them to sucker up a day or two at the resort. Regarding non-theme park people, I think Universal is already getting a day out of them with the power of the Potter IP. I'd imagine Epic will lock up an additional day that would have otherwise be spent at WDW.

Mainly referring to those uber Disney fans that consider Universal as a 2nd tier experience and have yet to attend UOR. But, I'd imagine Epic will at least finally convince them to sucker up a day or two at the resort. Regarding non-theme park people, I think Universal is already getting a day out of them with the power of the Potter IP. I'd imagine Epic will lock up an additional day that would have otherwise be spent at WDW.
Yeah that’s who I’m talking about too. If the stuff that UOR has done since 2010 hasn’t swung them by now I don’t really see Epic changing that.

To families who vacation to Disney because it’s a theme park (rather than a whole lifestyle/personality trait), I think Epic will definitely be a draw.

Not sure it will. My in-laws finally got Universal passes after living here for 9 years and they are Meh about it and won't even keep their passes for Epic opening, they want to go back to Disney. I have other local friends that get Disney every year and haven't touched Universal and I haven't heard a peep from them that they plan to with Epic coming.

Not sure it will. My in-laws finally got Universal passes after living here for 9 years and they are Meh about it and won't even keep their passes for Epic opening, they want to go back to Disney. I have other local friends that get Disney every year and haven't touched Universal and I haven't heard a peep from them that they plan to with Epic coming.
To be fair, Universal's target demographic isn't older adults who don't enjoy thrill rides (which IMO is the wrong strategy but that's a separate discussion). As of now, Epic Universe "hype" is still contained to the theme park fandom with no real commercials/marketing promos for those who don't follow theme park news. Once tickets are released with a simultaneous marketing campaign, we'd get a better idea of how much interest there actually is for Epic Universe and the impact it'll have.

Right now, for those planning a trip to Orlando who don't follow theme park news, Disney is the far better value next year with multiple ticket/dining deals and free water park access on hotel check-in days.

To be fair, Universal's target demographic isn't older adults who don't enjoy thrill rides (which IMO is the wrong strategy but that's a separate discussion).
Well, you just answered your own question lol

Maybe it’s only because I’m a local/huge nerd that’s more hyper-perceptive about this stuff, but to me the Disney and Universal park experiences are different enough that one isn’t an automatic substitute for the other. People who travel for thrill rides will more than likely sub out a Disney day for an Epic Universe one, but to the point of your original post there’s a whole contingent of Disney visitors who don’t visit the parks for the rides that will just keep doing what they’re doing with the Annual Pass option they’ve grown comfortable with…and I don’t see them changing their behavior in a way that will meaningfully sway the traffic patterns of either resort en masse.

Well, you just answered your own question lol

Maybe it’s only because I’m a local/huge nerd that’s more hyper-perceptive about this stuff, but to me the Disney and Universal park experiences are different enough that one isn’t an automatic substitute for the other. People who travel for thrill rides will more than likely sub out a Disney day for an Epic Universe one, but to the point of your original post there’s a whole contingent of Disney visitors who don’t visit the parks for the rides that will just keep doing what they’re doing with the Annual Pass option they’ve grown comfortable with…and I don’t see them changing their behavior in a way that will meaningfully sway the traffic patterns of either resort en masse.
I'm with you, just wanted to provide additional context.

Disney is still a better "park experience" in terms of dining/entertainment options... but we shall see if Epic does that as Universal has strategically designed Epic to mimic a Disney experience to a degree (multiple stage shows, more family-friendly offerings, etc.)

On average the Disney out of state visitors repeat app every seven years. So that would be 2017. Since then Disney got 3 coasters, a redress of Splash, a mediocre dark ride (Mermaid), opened, closed, redressed, open and closed one show (A;lien Encounter/Stitch) opened vomit-tron (Space), closed, redressed, and closed again (Test Track), several movies (updated),etc. The majority weren't new, just redresses of attractions. The question is, will that be enough to draw them back or will they want to try that brand-spanking new park over there?

On average the Disney out of state visitors repeat app every seven years. So that would be 2017. Since then Disney got 3 coasters, a redress of Splash, a mediocre dark ride (Mermaid), opened, closed, redressed, open and closed one show (A;lien Encounter/Stitch) opened vomit-tron (Space), closed, redressed, and closed again (Test Track), several movies (updated),etc. The majority weren't new, just redresses of attractions. The question is, will that be enough to draw them back or will they want to try that brand-spanking new park over there?
Missing Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land (a surprisingly huge hit for families for obvious reasons), Pandora, Guardians (technically not an addition, but far more popular than the previous occupant), Ratatouille, etc.

Not saying Epic isn't going to be amazing... but there's a lot of quality additions at WDW recently that can still sway people over.

I also don't think people are lining up spec sheets to compare the various theme park offerings in Orlando. I work in The Automotive Industry, and while people will justify their purchases after the fact using facts and statistics, their purchases tend to be strongly vibes-based. I think that applies to theme parks. Both resorts offer incredible attractions and great, but different, vibes. And I think many people are making their decisions based on that.

Obviously, new attractions and experiences affect how people make vacation decisions — but the root of it is something less tangible IMO.

I'm pretty positive that Epic will do well at opening, and a few months afterward. I think the most important aspect, and we won't know until that time comes. is what the attendance will be at Studios, IOA and Epic six months to two years after the grand opening. That's what's going to be most important to Comcast.

To be fair, Universal's target demographic isn't older adults who don't enjoy thrill rides (which IMO is the wrong strategy but that's a separate discussion). As of now, Epic Universe "hype" is still contained to the theme park fandom with no real commercials/marketing promos for those who don't follow theme park news. Once tickets are released with a simultaneous marketing campaign, we'd get a better idea of how much interest there actually is for Epic Universe and the impact it'll have.

Right now, for those planning a trip to Orlando who don't follow theme park news, Disney is the far better value next year with multiple ticket/dining deals and free water park access on hotel check-in days.
You assumed a lot from in-laws. I meant my BIL, SIL, and MIL who all enjoy coasters like Mako, Manta, etc. So they do like Thrill rides even my MIL. My BIL/SIL have kids one who is pre-teen. So I would say they are actually in the target market. Most people I know are families with the adults being in their 30s and 40s and kids ranging from 6 to 16. Again outside of the younger kids only families part, pretty target market to Universal.
Missing Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land (a surprisingly huge hit for families for obvious reasons), Pandora, Guardians (technically not an addition, but far more popular than the previous occupant), Ratatouille, etc.

Not saying Epic isn't going to be amazing... but there's a lot of quality additions at WDW recently that can still sway people over.
I have said before and will say again, people really undervalue the additions Disney has made since 2016 and over-hype the Universal ones. When you do a side by side they are pretty even when it comes to capacity and popularity of their additions. I don't know why people think Universal has done more than Disney. Now Epic is absolutely a game changer, but Disney was never going to compete against that and shouldn't ever build a 5th park.