Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re preparing to hunker down for several years of low to no tourism.

Yeah, it’s the several years thing that just doesn’t make sense. If Florida government got it’s act together and forced the numbers down with mask laws then the tourists would come and they would be right back on track quickly. Where I am, tourism is now running about 70% as of this past week.

Yeah, it’s the several years thing that just doesn’t make sense. If Florida government got it’s act together and forced the numbers down with mask laws then the tourists would come and they would be right back on track quickly. Where I am, tourism is now running about 70% as of this past week.
Ya this is why I don’t get Florida’s strategy, this could be over sooner if they wanted it to be

I agree with you....but the airline industry just put out a report late this week that they don't expect international tourism to recover until 2024. Perhaps, that report, released at the same time as Comcast's pause, influenced the decision.
Of course I'm no expert, but that seems to be an overly pessimistic projection by the airlines that seemingly ignores the potential effects of a successful vaccine. Sometimes these projections aren't worth the paper they're printed on, and
ignore common sense.....There's pent up demand as evidenced by travel industry reports that nearly every east coast beach resort is experiencing crowds equal to, or better than, 2019. I'd guess other countries will have a pent up demand from travelers
once this covid crisis abates.

After Universal bought Dreamworks, Universal Creative started working with the concept of "mini- lands". Self contained lands that during the planning phase, can be moved around like chess pieces.

On a related note, this "indefinitely postponed" thing could help them out with another problem they have with an unpopular IP by a recently unpopular writer.
I’m not a fan of Fantastic Beasts but this whole cancel culture thing is getting absurd to the point of parody.

I’m not a fan of Fantastic Beasts but this whole cancel culture thing is getting absurd to the point of parody.
Sometimes cancel culture can be silly. Sometimes, however, there can repercussions for one's actions. Not everything needs a label. Sometimes there's push back against things people do or say. Always has been. Nothing new.

Sometimes cancel culture can be silly. Sometimes, however, there can repercussions for one's actions. Not everything needs a label. Sometimes there's push back against things people do or say. Always has been. Nothing new.
Yeah repercussions can always be expected especially when deserved, but trying to “cancel” Harry Potter? Please. The more likely course Universal would take with this land is switch IP to the main franchise rather than FB. WWoHP makes them too much money to not have this land.

Yeah repercussions can always be expected especially when deserved, but trying to “cancel” Harry Potter? Please.

I don't think it's more about cancelling the IP, but more of the creator of the IP.

I do think it'd be interesting on when they go back to the drawing table on the park, and to see how the climate changes for Potter as an IP.

I don't think it's more about cancelling the IP, but more of the creator of the IP.

I do think it'd be interesting on when they go back to the drawing table on the park, and to see how the climate changes for Potter as an IP.
Nothing will happen to Potter as an IP no matter how off kilter its creator may have become over the years. It still remains to be a great story with themes that almost anyone can easily relate to. What I was originally referring to btw was the idea that Universal would cancel this land based on Rowling’s recent mishaps. I really don’t think they’d do that.

Nothing will happen to Potter as an IP no matter how off kilter its creator may have become over the years. It still remains to be a great story with themes that almost anyone can easily relate to. What I was originally referring to btw was the idea that Universal would cancel this land based on Rowling’s recent mishaps. I really don’t think they’d do that.
I don’t think they would either. I could see them focusing more on the original series because the newer films aren’t beloved, timeless, or as profitable.

I don’t think they would either. I could see them focusing more on the original series because the newer films aren’t beloved, timeless, or as profitable.
Now we just see if like Nintendo this land gets moved back to its original spot at USF next to Diagon if they do indeed go back to the original series with it. The extra time being given to EU should be more than enough to nail down LotR as a replacement.

Now we just see if like Nintendo this land gets moved back to its original spot at USF next to Diagon if they do indeed go back to the original series with it. The extra time being given to EU should be more than enough to nail down LotR as a replacement.

Yes! LOTR would be a perfect replacement for FB and give the park a headlining IP. Replace SNW with Pokémon and we got a solid alternative to the original EU.

I do have to say, my personal willingness to spend money on Harry Potter-related items in the parks is probably going to dip once I return to Universal. I know I can only speak anecdotally, and that “if you don’t like it, more butterbeer for me” applies here, and fine for those people, but I find it difficult justifying spending money in this area of the park where I know cash is going directly into her pocket.

I imagine that the already-floundering Fantastic Beasts films are not going to get a ton of high praise (totally speculative), and with each successive movie their writer is going to be dragged into conversation (rightfully so). I don’t think this issue is going to disappear. I think that Universal, which has always been a pro-LGBT+ company in my eyes, might be wise in considering this drag when opening a brand-new park in what will be a deeply more protracted time period, and what this might look like in the news.

To be fair, I have always been a moderate Harry Potter fan why really prefers the immersion of the parks more than the book content itself. But I bought a wand and cloak. I’ve always stopped for butterbeer and a cauldron cake. I... just can’t in good conscience do that anymore knowing where that money is going. It’s not worth the value - nothing can taste THAT good to me.

Or how about The Legend of Zelda replacing Nintendo Land at Epic Universe? I know people are in love with the idea of it replacing The Lost Continent and converting Poseidon's Fury into the Water Temple, but I feel the EU space would do it justice...

Or how about The Legend of Zelda replacing Nintendo Land at Epic Universe? I know people are in love with the idea of it replacing The Lost Continent and converting Poseidon's Fury into the Water Temple, but I feel the EU space would do it justice...
I never said such a thing. Raze it all to the ground and start fresh I say. Plus if Zelda was in EU you’d have that, Dragons, Monsters, and HP (or LotR) all in the same park. I think it’s better to not have all those together. Pokémon brings more to diversify it.

Last edited:
I guarantee that if you look hard enough for any media franchise you’ll find something insensitive the creator said. Dr. Seuss drew some...questionable cartoons during WW2. Should we #cancel him? Of course not. If you’re looking to get offended, you’ll always find something.
Especially with today’s standard of what qualifies as insensitive.

I guarantee that if you look hard enough for any media franchise you’ll find something insensitive the creator said. Dr. Seuss drew some...questionable cartoons during WW2. Should we #cancel him? Of course not. If you’re looking to get offended, you’ll always find something.
I mean the major difference here is you do not have to "look hard enough" at all for anything that's currently being said and more things continue to be said. She's had several several opportunities to let it blow over or be dropped and have double and triple downed, it's hardly comparable. I can say this as someone directly part of the group she is targeting, I haven't been looking at all but have had to hear about it several times all the same.

Anyways, even prior to all of this the FB part of Epic Universe had it happened seemed like the most mixed around here or elsewhere, be it cause Fantastic Beasts bombed or "too much Harry Potter", frankly personally it was always the least exciting part of it, potential new rides systems aside. I don't think they abandon HP in any way anytime soon but with EU getting "indefinitely delayed" everything is back on the drawing board. Personally would rather them build a ministry ride in USF and be done with it.

Last edited:
Especially with today’s standard of what qualifies as insensitive.

Y'all drop it now. We're being lenient in this thread as lots is happening but we gotta draw a line here.

Treating others as inhumane or less has never been acceptable so stop with the "times these days" talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.