Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 198 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve watched Harry Potter, in full, twice during lockdown and have also tried to watch the second fantastic beasts 3 times and given up on every occasion because it’s that bad. They really shouldn’t build a land on this.

If there's one redeeming thing about EU possibly getting canned or delayed by a few years, it's Fantastic Beasts getting the axe.

So in the same way, I think it's unnecessary to focus on a weaker part of your IP (in this case FB) just because it's newer. Will Potter fans love it regardless? Absolutely. Look no further than Cursed Child. People loathed the script, but actually going and seeing it makes all the difference. Actually living the Potter magic will cure a lot of problems. But it's hard not to hope the perspective and time changes things a bit.
There’s a massive difference between reading a script and seeing a show. Scripts are not “finished products.” While some scripts thrive on the dialogue, others require a clever production to bring them to life. Cursed Child is clearly in the “clever production” camp. So, comparing the script to the show isn’t a fair comparison. It’s like looking at a shopping list and saying the meal is terrible.

But, the loathed script, the generally tepid response to the FB franchise, and the growing backlash against the author are all signs, however, that Potter fans do have a limit. Will that limit be a FB land? I don’t know, which is the biggest problem. There’s actually a question around it now.

If there's one redeeming thing about EU possibly getting canned or delayed by a few years, it's Fantastic Beasts getting the axe.

An Epic Universe minus Nintendo and minus any Wizzarding World presence though...that’s feeling pretty flat.

I think Universals single biggest issue in selecting IPs is Illuminations / Dreamworks inability to build truly next level franchises through consistently great movies. Potter works because there’s 8 fantastic films. They seem to have the ability to hit it big, with Shrek, Dispicable Me, but then they seem to force through rushed sequels which are...ok, but don't take the story up a level. Toy Story is a perfect example of a franchise done well. Shrek & Minions could have been, but fall short through progressively worse movies. Standards in the movie department languish, severely vs Disney & that manifests itself to the availability of good IPs to use in the parks.

The closest they’ve come is How to Train Your Dragon, which all maintain a standard.

Honestly, all of Disney‘s success stems from the movies, and until Universal get that right, they’ll be making themepark lands on the likes of transformers & fantastic beasts

Last edited:
An Epic Universe minus Nintendo and minus any Wizzarding World presence though...that’s feeling pretty flat.

I think Universals single biggest issue in selecting IPs is Illuminations / Dreamworks inability to build truly next level franchises through consistently great movies. Potter works because there’s 8 fantastic films. They seem to have the ability to hit it big, with Shrek, Dispicable Me, but then they seem to force through rushed sequels which are...ok, but don't take the story up a level. Toy Story is a perfect example of a franchise done well. Shrek & Minions could have been, but fall short through progressively worse movies.

The closest they’ve come is How to Train Your Dragon, which all maintain a standard.

Honestly, all of Disney‘s success stems from the movies, and until Universal get that right, they’ll be making themepark lands on the likes of transformers & fantastic beasts

Kung Fu Panda says hi.

Shrek Forever After is actually a pretty satisfying finale, unfortunately The Third had already ruined people’s image of Shrek.

I would argue that Dreamworks has a better track record with sequels than Pixar.

I think Universals single biggest issue in selecting IPs is Illuminations / Dreamworks inability to build truly next level franchises through consistently great movies. Potter works because there’s 8 fantastic films. They seem to have the ability to hit it big, with Shrek, Dispicable Me, but then they seem to force through rushed sequels which are...ok, but don't take the story up a level. Toy Story is a perfect example of a franchise done well. Shrek & Minions could have been, but fall short through progressively worse movies. Standards in the movie department languish, severely vs Disney & that manifests itself to the availability of good IPs to use in the parks.

I mean, they could do another Nintendo land or Potter land and be fine.

If the Rides/attractions are great thats what people will come in for

No, I would agree with you that EU without Nintendo is flat, but there's not much of a loss losing Fantastic Beasts. You already have the Wizarding World to draw in people to the current two parks, and then Nintendo as the main draw for EU.

But Mario IS SNW to a lot of people. Potter is totally different as it is one centric story that takes place over plenty of locations that can be recreated. The way they seemed to have envisioned SNW in the iterations that are built or being built is solely focused on mario and mario alone. All the environments and lands are placed in one build. I don't know if any other nintendo franchise has the pull as mario as he is the face of nintendo. Well, I can say mario could get me to a new park, pokemon and zelda couldn't. . .

But Mario IS SNW to a lot of people. Potter is totally different as it is one centric story that takes place over plenty of locations that can be recreated. The way they seemed to have envisioned SNW in the iterations that are built or being built is solely focused on mario and mario alone. All the environments and lands are placed in one build. I don't know if any other nintendo franchise has the pull as mario as he is the face of nintendo. Well, I can say mario could get me to a new park, pokemon and zelda couldn't. . .
Pokemon is massive. It's the biggest media franchise of all time.

There's more proof that Cars and Fantastic Beasts sucks than Avatar, to be fair. We're still waiting on several sequels. For all we know, they could be good. Of course, no matter what, the land already exists so that's a mute point. And you make a good point about Cars, as those moovies suck, but I think the difference is the sole reason for the land was that back in the day, Cars merch flew off the shelves (and for all I know, still does). Obviously they'd have wands to sell, but I just don't think that people have literally any connection to this franchise. Avatar changed the movie industry entirely after it came out because of the reception it had to the 3D visuals and held the Worldwide box office record for a decade.

I just don't think FB is really remembered for much as it currently stands. I'll admit a MoM ride would probably be cool, but i'd rather it be connected to London than a part of FB. This franchise has little to no longevity imo.

Maybe so, but a well-developed land can also inspire love for the property if done right. I'm someone who hated the Cars movies, but after seeing the attractions at DCA, it made me appreciate the films more. Avatar was a HUGE merchandising failure. You couldn't walk down a clearance aisle at a big-box store and not be assaulted by N'avi toys. Still, Disney found a way to get people to buy the products (and sell out of Banshees fairly often) because they emotionally identified it with their enthusiasm of Pandora. For all the mocking that "sex tails" got years before the land opened, there's still quite a few people who buy them.

Even Universal has been able to impress with mediocre IPs. They had one of the biggest box-office bombs of all time in Waterworld, but the show ended up being so popular that it's been cloned in every Universal park sans Orlando. Even to the point that it's being expanded into its own area at Beijing. And The Secret Life of Pets has always been a middling set of films, but after seeing the footage from the Hollywood ride, I'm dreaming of them finding a way to bring it here in Orlando. It's just that good-looking.

That's why I'd personally like to see FB find some way into the parks. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'm always going to appreciate Universal more when they take risks instead of playing it safe.

Actually, they didn’t. You have to take into account the cost to make and market them and the cut to theaters. Disney has not made their money back yet.
I didn't say they made their money back. I said "practically". There's a reason I chose that word. But if we took into account the billions they've made on Porg, Red Storm troopers, BB-8's, and Baby Yoda/The Child, etc toys and merch, they're probably damn close.

I guess my point isn't clear. I think the Star Wars brand is extremely strong. That's why I think the new trilogy has to be considered underwhelming as a whole. From a business perspective, are the returns in box office and merch more like Marvel or DC? Obviously the films made money and I'm not foolish enough to call it a failure or say it's killed Star Wars. But given the overall lukewarm reaction the full new trilogy, vs how the more classic leaning Mandalorian was a resounding success... I can't help but think there's a little regret in shifting from the classic leaning focus and may be considered a mistake long term.

So in the same way, I think it's unnecessary to focus on a weaker part of your IP (in this case FB) just because it's newer. Will Potter fans love it regardless? Absolutely. Look no further than Cursed Child. People loathed the script, but actually going and seeing it makes all the difference. Actually living the Potter magic will cure a lot of problems. But it's hard not to hope the perspective and time changes things a bit.
And my point is that SWGE isn't stuck in the new trilogy era if they would get their heads out of their ass. The land is very non-era generic. Even RotR is pretty generic, it just uses the new trilogy characters. It's VERY possible to simply remove the first order flags in the back half of the land and make it so Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Moff Gideon or Kylo could show up there.

It's also very possible to make it possible for the Original Triology and prequel characters to be a part of the land (and someone like Mando, Cara Dune and The Child). A Third ride has been rumored for the land since before it opened and if it ever happened and Disney decided to take this land out of the New Trilogy era (which it's barely in), they could make a ride based on literally ANYTHING.

Maybe so, but a well-developed land can also inspire love for the property if done right. I'm someone who hated the Cars movies, but after seeing the attractions at DCA, it made me appreciate the films more. Avatar was a HUGE merchandising failure. You couldn't walk down a clearance aisle at a big-box store and not be assaulted by N'avi toys. Still, Disney found a way to get people to buy the products (and sell out of Banshees fairly often) because they emotionally identified it with their enthusiasm of Pandora. For all the mocking that "sex tails" got years before the land opened, there's still quite a few people who buy them.

Even Universal has been able to impress with mediocre IPs. They had one of the biggest box-office bombs of all time in Waterworld, but the show ended up being so popular that it's been cloned in every Universal park sans Orlando. Even to the point that it's being expanded into its own area at Beijing. And The Secret Life of Pets has always been a middling set of films, but after seeing the footage from the Hollywood ride, I'm dreaming of them finding a way to bring it here in Orlando. It's just that good-looking.

That's why I'd personally like to see FB find some way into the parks. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'm always going to appreciate Universal more when they take risks instead of playing it safe.
I guess i'm more ok with FB getting a ride, but a land is a step too far for a franchise of the caliber that it is.

Maybe they should make it so that different era Star Wars characters show up on different days. One day, it’s Kylo and Rey. The next day it’s Vader and Luke. Every other Wednesday it’s Anakin and Padme.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
Maybe they should make it so that different era Star Wars characters show up on different days. One day, it’s Kylo and Rey. The next day it’s Vader and Luke. Every other Wednesday it’s Anakin and Padme.
I mean, I like where you're thinking, but the average tourist doesn't plan like that. I think it would have to be on a rotating schedule throughout the day.

HOWEVER, we've gone from comparing Star Wars and Fantastic Beasts box office to full on talking about SWGE, which will not be a part of Epic Universe. So if we want to continue this discussion about SWGE, we should probably do it in the correct thread.

Let's get back on topic.

Plot twist: 5 years from now, Jurassic World will once again be rumored for Fantastic Worlds and everyone will groan in frustration.
I think the time for that has come and gone with the new coaster going in :lol:

I can totally see Universal pully out an "Indy" like land though if Uncharted is a hit. Grab the right from Sony and build a land. Especially with a guy like Tom Holland attached? That's a property I could see making an awesome land, but that all depends on the movie doing good.

Omg don’t get me thinking about an Uncharted land.....

Although, between Zelda, HTTYD, and LOTR, it’s similiar enough that it doesn’t make sense.

If USH ever makes a 2nd park however....

After reading through things and listening to various podcasts/opinions on the issue

I would argue that, for the next decade, it is more healthy and sustainable for the original parks to receive the new investments.

Epic Universe, as cool as it would be, seems unnecessary at this point...in my eyes

Additionally, I would say that people, regardless of additions, are not going to want to spend more days on a vacation. Which really, was the point of EU in the first place

Shorter weekend getaway vacations may be the trend for a while

If that's the case, UO is perfectly built to accommodate

After reading through things and listening to various podcasts/opinions on the issue

I would argue that, for the next decade, it is more healthy and sustainable for the original parks to receive the new investments.

Epic Universe, as cool as it would be, seems unnecessary at this point...in my eyes

Additionally, I would say that people, regardless of additions, are not going to want to spend more days on a vacation. Which really, was the point of EU in the first place

Shorter weekend getaway vacations may be the trend for a while

If that's the case, UO is perfectly built to accommodate

Fair points.

As excited as I was for a brand new park, I think I'd be okay with Epic Universe being delayed indefinitely. It's absolutely understandable right now, and the possibility of Super Nintendo World returning to USF makes perfect sense. I can't even imagine what it would be like for KidZone to stick around until 2030 or so... plus, another thing to consider is that the contract for the Simpsons runs out around 2027 or so and I have a hard time imagining that Universal will keep that considering Disney owns it now and the Simpsons Ride is on its last legs. Springfield could be prime expansion space for SNW if they don't do Nintendo in another park.

Status
Not open for further replies.