Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if Beijing fails and we have a repeat of Euro Disney?
I know it’s impossible to predict anything anymore...but in a normal climate, Beijing seems like a pretty safe park with many pre-existing attractions/I.Ps that should have broad appeal. Also, it has a Cowfish, so it’s already the second best Universal resort.

In my eyes Epcot Center was a wonderful failure as a concept and a theme. Looking at a world fair, a place we learn about technical advancements in the world and about cultures, that without a doubt needs to be rebuild every year and updated to the latest stand of tech and never fail to loose money, isn't a sustainable theme. The same goes for "making movies" as in reality it's very boring and more in-depth information can be found on dvd extra's, so there is no need for the "peak behind the movie magic" anymore. I think Universal Studios transitioned well, DHS is slowly moving there but Epcot still insists to uphold their theme and fail miserably. I thought they would "let it go" when they updated Norway into Noway but Guardians is going to fit the mold if we can believe Disney. I rather they went the whole way and just lost the "educational light" thing as it is holding attractions back.
No, Disney isn’t insisting on upholding the “theme”. The fans are insisting that Disney uphold a theme that stopped mattering in the early 90s. The ride portion of Seas with Nemo, Arendelle, and Ratatouille are actually the correct course. Just put IPs were they fit. The Guardians story, the new/old fountain crystals are all just Disney’s attempt at manipulating nostalgia.

The fans are insisting that Disney uphold a theme that stopped mattering in the early 90s. The ride portion of Seas with Nemo, Arendelle, and Ratatouille are actually the correct course.

Epcot's mission statement did not stop mattering in the early 1990s, and I don't see how anyone can point to Frozen Ever After as an example of IP in Epcot done correctly, but that's a discussion better suited to an Epcot thread.

No, Disney isn’t insisting on upholding the “theme”. The fans are insisting that Disney uphold a theme that stopped mattering in the early 90s. The ride portion of Seas with Nemo, Arendelle, and Ratatouille are actually the correct course. Just put IPs were they fit. The Guardians story, the new/old fountain crystals are all just Disney’s attempt at manipulating nostalgia.

I too do not mind IPs in Epcot provided they roughly fit the theme (even Frozen is a fairy tale of Scandinavian origin).

Epcot's mission statement did not stop mattering in the early 1990s, and I don't see how anyone can point to Frozen Ever After as an example of IP in Epcot done correctly, but that's a discussion better suited to an Epcot thread.
How the heck did the glorified arcade that was Innoventions fit the EPCOT mission statement? Or Honey, I Shrunk the Audience? Or even Captain EO (especially Captain EO). It was a park that was devised to not use Disney IPs, which was changed almost immediately. It was supposed to be constantly changing and was outdated in a decade.

The point is that once PCs started becoming ubiquitous (early to mid 90s) the theme (and yes, the “mission statement”) became outdated. At that point, the world started progressing faster than Disney could ever keep up (not like they were keeping up all that well to begin with). The Future World section was a 70s inspired space founded more in sci-fi wishful thinking than reality, and “global community” was a travelogue. It’s fine that is was that, but let’s not act like Disney did all that much to maintain the PR shroud around the place through the 80s. Cause they didn’t.

And I didn’t say Frozen Ever After was an effective attraction at all. I said it was the right direction. Like it or hate it, putting a Scandinavian-inspired IP in the Scandinavian country’s pavilion was the right call.

Last edited:
How the heck did the glorified arcade that was Innoventions fit the EPCOT mission statement? Or Honey, I Shrunk the Audience? Or even Captain EO (especially Captain EO). It was a park that was devised to not use Disney IPs, which was changed almost immediately. It was supposed to be constantly changing and was outdated in a decade.

The point is that once PCs started becoming ubiquitous (early to mid 90s) the theme (and yes, the “mission statement”) became outdated. At that point, the world started progressing faster than Disney could ever keep up (not like they were keeping up all that well to begin with). The Future World section was a 70s inspired space founded more in sci-fi wishful thinking than reality, and “global community” was a travelogue. It’s fine that is was that, but let’s not act like Disney did all that much to maintain the PR shroud around the place through the 80s. Cause they didn’t.

And I didn’t say Frozen Ever After was an effective attraction at all. I said it was the right direction. Like it or hate it, putting a Scandinavian-inspired IP in the Scandinavian country’s pavilion was the right call.
EPCOT was designed so that 80% of the rides were set in the past leadings up to the future. Energy, Motion, The Land and The Seas could have been easily updated - most of the time is was a matter of just changing out film (Energy, Land) or exhibits (Seas, Motion). The only one that would have been difficult would have been Horizons - but that was set in the far distant future. Imagination, of course, had nothing to do with the future except for the 3D film process (which, actually, pretty much became the norm for movies after Avatar anyways).

That is not what I meant. Sure some ip's will go a long way, like Star Wars for instance and what ever you think about the ip now or the theme park land, it's not a hit anymore as it was back in the days. That doesn't mean that sci-fi (or low-fi as Star Wars rather is) won't have a future in theme parks but as a land it's not a huge hit like Potter is at the moment. But Potter, due to Rowlings Twitter failures this could result in a less than favorable outcome for the ip.
In the end there will always be the next best thing guests want to visit and nothing is (or should be) forever. Betting on 1 theme for a very expensive land makes it impossible to take the less favorable rides out and replace them with that next best thing. Look at Kong, amazing ride, but people lost it when it was on "their" JP island. Now Islands isn't EU but in EU that would be a problem.

This will be more difficult for Universal. If Disney wants something to be relevant they will shove it down your throat.

I get your point, but the only non IP land in Islands of Adventure is currently their weakest. And they’re closing its only ride for the time to save money.

This will be more difficult for Universal. If Disney wants something to be relevant they will shove it down your throat.

I get your point, but the only non IP land in Islands of Adventure is currently their weakest. And they’re closing its only ride for the time to save money.
To this day people still ask if LC is LOTR or if the snakes plaque on the bridge is Slytherin

Universal is strongest when it relies on IPs

To this day people still ask if LC is LOTR or if the snakes plaque on the bridge is Slytherin

Universal is strongest when it relies on IPs

I think people forget the original LC. It was something that felt so intimate and organic—everything that people want from Disney, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.