Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 204 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we know the results of the election this fall, and have a better idea of when a vaccine will be available it's a safe bet they'll hold off on any solid decisions one way or the other. They probably want to see just how bad the economy has been hit to figure out how long it will take to recover. If they plowed ahead and no one had money to go to the park because we're in the depths of a depression, it really wouldn't make sense to spend that kind of money. If it looks like things will recover quickly, they'll push ahead.

So is there any concrete information regarding the status of the park? Is it really in danger of being cancelled?
What we know for sure is that they're continuing work on infrastructure projects that were already underway before Covid, but have put off starting construction on any new structures including those for the park itself.

The current speculation/rumor is that Comcast/Universal will wait until near year end to decide on their long term strategy (taking into consideration vaccines, election results, economic indicators, and cash flow). At that point, the two most likely outcomes for EU are:
1. Resume construction of Epic Universe as planned for 2024 opening,
2. Cancel Epic Universe in its current iteration and start on Nintendo in Kidzone for 2023/24.

What we know for sure is that they're continuing work on infrastructure projects that were already underway before Covid, but have put off starting construction on any new structures including those for the park itself.

The current speculation/rumor is that Comcast/Universal will wait until near year end to decide on their long term strategy (taking into consideration vaccines, election results, economic indicators, and cash flow). At that point, the two most likely outcomes for EU are:
1. Resume construction of Epic Universe as planned for 2024 opening,
2. Cancel Epic Universe in its current iteration and start on Nintendo in Kidzone for 2023/24.
I feel like EU was already "delayed" pre-Covid

So maybe 2025 or 2026

I don't buy the Nintendo in Kidzone thing just yet

So maybe 2025 or 2026

I agree and I would think that they'd have to know for sure that Epic Universe was cancelled for sure before putting Nintendo back in Kidzone. I would think there'd be much more space in the new gate than Kidzone.

So maybe 2025 or 2026

I'm not convinced of Nintendo in Kidzone yet either, but IMO they need to get Nintendo open by 2024 one way or another. It's the closest thing they have to "shovel ready", and opening only Velocicoaster in the next 4+ years would be completely noncompetitive against Disney's slate of Rat, Tron, Guardians, Play pavilion, and eventual Splash replacement, or the cheaper additions that can be added by regional (six flags/cedar fair) parks.

They may have been a few months behind on EU, but I haven't seen anything that would suggest they had suffered significant (6+ month) delays before Covid hit. And now they're getting a long chance to catch up on the infrastructure projects and continue progressing through the permitting process. If they get the green light in January I see no reason that they can't make a summer 2024 opening if construction is anywhere close to the pace of Universal Beijing.

Just my humble opinion...
If Dave's info is correct, (and we have no way of knowing that for sure) and they're waiting on election results, there's a number of scenarios that could play out.
If Comcast is 100% in on the new park, and the time frame is the only thing undetermined, at this point in time...
*If the Dems win the trifecta (Pres., House, Senate), the 2017 big time corporate tax/investment breaks law is probably history, and will be replaced by new, less corporate friendly, legislation.
In that scenario, if Comcast is for sure on Epic, it would probably be in their best corporate interest to start building, and spending, as soon as possible, while the investment breaks still exist.
* If the election ends up with one party only controlling two of the trifecta, chances are the 2017 corporate breaks stay as they are. In that scenario, Comcast could take their time opening/building the park.

If Comcast is not 100% for sure on whether to build Epic, due to all the covid related economic factors.
*If the Dems win the trifecta, they might just cancel, knowing the tax breaks will probably end....or...
* Continue with the park figuring the Dems will have some huge stimulus that will jumpstart the economy, plus do a better job controlling covid
*Trump wins....They continue with the park, knowing the corporate tax breaks will stand, but they will have the flexibility of stringing an opening out to 2025 or so.

There's probably a few other scenarios too, but most are probably also based on how fast they think an economic recovery in tourism will take, and the status of the corporate tax/investment breaks, after the election.

Reactions: alias8703
I’ve heard “end of the year” with no reasons explicitly mentioned, but I assumed election outcome was one of them. I also assumed the current state of a possible treatment may be another, but that’s just me.

Yeah - it's a collection of things. I also think it's less about tax breaks and more about the handling of the pandemic so far, but that's for a different conversation. On that note, I have heard encouraging things about USH Nintendo (as evident by the themeing elements showing up) so hopefully, it bodes well for EU.

You know “after the election” can mean just the date and not the results. Like, we are way over thinking things here.
Yep. Just as a function of timing, "after the election" we should have a much better sense of whether a vaccine will be approved this winter, they will have their initial attendance projections and early booking numbers for the holidays and spring break, we will have started to see how colder weather and flu season affects the virus spread, and generally we'll know if the strategy for managing the pandemic in the US has or will change.

They're not investing 5 billion just because of tax breaks or a specific politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts