Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 228 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having ownership that believes in the parks helps a lot. Vivendi did when they built Islands/CityWalk/Resorts, but soured on them after the Escape marketing fumble. Then 9/11 happened and they gave up.
Yes, I think people forget that last time the economy and tourism tanked Universal was owned and sold off by some not so great companies.

Luckily we seem to have solid owners, Potter, and better vision this go around.

Well, post-9/11 was when they started catering heavily to locals (at least, in regards to HHN).

But this is pleasantly surprising to know. 9/11 has always been this sort of legend to me...it's something so big that happened in my life that everyone has always talked about, yet I have no memory of and had no real conception of it as affecting my daily life. Not being able to remember it probably has a lot to do with having so much personal nostalgia for the aughts.
Lucky you. I worked for a travel wholesaler who sold packages under the names of about 7 airlines (including United and USAir). Needlesss to say, that day had a huge impact (We had to listen to radio reports and have people phone in info as the internet was so clogged it literally stopped). And then there was not only trying to take of thousands of passengers with a team of 14, we also had to figure out how to get them home, who was paying what, and taking care of already booked but not yet travelled passengers. It was weeks and weeks of stress. 9/11 wasn't a day for me - it was months.

Lucky you. I worked for a travel wholesaler who sold packages under the names of about 7 airlines (including United and USAir). Needlesss to say, that day had a huge impact (We had to listen to radio reports and have people phone in info as the internet was so clogged it literally stopped). And then there was not only trying to take of thousands of passengers with a team of 14, we also had to figure out how to get them home, who was paying what, and taking care of already booked but not yet travelled passengers. It was weeks and weeks of stress. 9/11 wasn't a day for me - it was months.
Yes, the actual event was mere hours, the residuals are still being dealt with to this day

Also, if they can’t do anything owned by CBS/Viacom now, why are they doing a Transformers area in Beijing? CBS/Viacom does own Transformers, right?

These IP rights are sooooooooo confusing!

Hasbro are main IP holders. They licensed it to Amblin and Paramount (which is why Spielberg was an executive producer) which is part of how Universal has theme park rights due to Amblin.

I don’t really see an issue with most of their original line up. Just cut FB, leaving that area as an expansion pad, and build full versions of SNW and UCM, Creature from the Black Lagoon included.

So they're fine then, I guess. But maybe not as fine for the level of company they are now.

Also how the hell was Islands of all places poorly received?

Well, The Universal Escape rebrand never did a good job explaining there's a second park. Folks would be in the studios, see the track for Hulk or DD and ask how do they get there, and then get irked to find out they're in a separate park with separate admission.

We all know the phrase "Build it, and they will come.", but in this case one had to build it -and- properly market it and then the people will come. Universal Escape still goes down as one of the biggest rebrand/marketing blunders out there, and for good reason.

As for EU, it's good to hear things are looking up for it. It's hard to ignore that every weekend the parks have been at capacity, heck when I was down there in September it was easily the busiest I've seen CityWalk since well, ever!

Reactions: Coolbfitz
So they're fine then, I guess. But maybe not as fine for the level of company they are now.

Also how the hell was Islands of all places poorly received?
Well, The Universal Escape rebrand never did a good job explaining there's a second park. Folks would be in the studios, see the track for Hulk or DD and ask how do they get there, and then get irked to find out they're in a separate park with separate admission.

We all know the phrase "Build it, and they will come.", but in this case one had to build it -and- properly market it and then the people will come. Universal Escape still goes down as one of the biggest rebrand/marketing blunders out there, and for good reason.

As for EU, it's good to hear things are looking up for it. It's hard to ignore that every weekend the parks have been at capacity, heck when I was down there in September it was easily the busiest I've seen CityWalk since well, ever!
The known IPs attached to the park, apart from Jurassic Park, were all “kid” properties that felt “second-rate” compared to Disney. Marvel was nowhere close to the commercial juggernaut it is now (Raimi’s Spider-Man nor X-Men had been released yet). Throw in the fact that Islands was the first “coaster park,” which gave a lot of Disney-raised people some pause.

I remember people asking "Universal Escapes what?" like it was an incomplete sentence. Absolutely one of the biggest marketing disasters.

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell says they're going to "evaluate [the park] over time."

Certainly doesn't sound like they're in any hurry whatsoever. If he thinks a "Roaring '20s" is going to happen, wouldn't it be a good idea to have things ready to open when that kicks in (i.e. 2022 or 2023)?

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell says they're going to "evaluate [the park] over time."

Certainly doesn't sound like they're in any hurry whatsoever. If he thinks a "Roaring '20s" is going to happen, wouldn't it be a good idea to have things ready to open when that kicks in (i.e. 2022 or 2023)?
My kingdom for a new historical analogy for the post-pandemic world.

EDIT: Nice that the park is probably happening this decade though.

My Dad was making that comparison in May, and people on this forum were in July. It's a common leap to make, albeit one I think might be inaccurate.
My own personal opinion, and I was one of those saying that about the roaring twenties on this forum way back then, is still the same. Big time comeback once it's safe. There's lots of
money on the sidelines, all time savings rate numbers in this country, and people have that itch to scratch. One constant about American consumers. They like to spend. And they're usually the main drivers
in the world's economy because of that.

My totally unprofessional opinion is that the statement put out by Comcast shows they are not having EU be their first post Covid project, at least that’s how I read it.
Remember that these quotes are also ment for their investors, they have to keep them happy. Also remember that the theme park industry is the third pillar for Comcast they never had. It's a very important market for them where they have been very successful. They wont stop investing in that business as there is ample of growth. Is there a dent in that growth, sure, covid came and will go away and the theme parks will flourish as they did before, probably even more. Probably this will in the end balance be fine as the extra profit that is made from internet and television can be offset by the lost in theme park revenue.

I'm kind of shocked how some people think the pandemic in this form will never go away, on the other hand I understand. Take the scare after 9-11 and the safety theater that is still in place, even in theme parks. To my knowledge there is no country in the world that does this although all of them had terrorist attacks on their soil for many decades.

Remember that these quotes are also ment for their investors, they have to keep them happy. Also remember that the theme park industry is the third pillar for Comcast they never had. It's a very important market for them where they have been very successful. They wont stop investing in that business as there is ample of growth. Is there a dent in that growth, sure, covid came and will go away and the theme parks will flourish as they did before, probably even more. Probably this will in the end balance be fine as the extra profit that is made from internet and television can be offset by the lost in theme park revenue.

I'm kind of shocked how some people think the pandemic in this form will never go away, on the other hand I understand. Take the scare after 9-11 and the safety theater that is still in place, even in theme parks. To my knowledge there is no country in the world that does this although all of them had terrorist attacks on their soil for many decades.
While other nations do not do the "theatre" the US does (excluding airports) the trade off I see is having uniformed soldiers patrolling with long guns at the ready and random roadblocks to check for suspicious people or cargo (Mexico) so different levels and procedures since terrorism has become more prevalent in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.