Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire reception of Volcano Bay in its first months of operation? lol
That was years ago, things have been changed/fixed, and a rocky opening is expected. Your statement was regarding the current state of VB, not years ago.

Any real evidence?

I mean I just gave you some, you're just not interested in it.
Your statement was regarding VB's current state, " See the failure of VB whenever the place is moderately crowded." Then you point to the opening months (over 2 years ago) instead of anything recent. That would be like looking at the state of Hagrid's operational status 2 years from now and pointing to evidence from 2019.

How about the fact that only two attractions in the dry parks have bothered with it and no future ones are planned to use it?
Their plan (according to rumors) was to use it for Hagrid's. From what I can tell, there are operational factors which prevented them from using virtual queue for this ride. It's still possible they use it once they have the issues worked out.

Also - is it confirmed that Bourne and SNW won't use virtual queue? To me the fact that they're slapping a wristband on everyone at SNW points to a Tapu Tapu-like process.

Last edited:
Reactions: FatalBubbles
It just requires more unnecessary planning. Its one thing I adore about Universal over Disney, the lack of planning. And this comes from a person who enjoys planning! Booking and planning fast passes is not super fun sometimes. It gets me excited for the ride but then I'm stuck with 3 time slots that I am forced to stick by throughout the day until my fast pass is over. It doesn't work for an entire park Imo, but I haven't been to VB. If its a packed day, I can see a lot of people wondering around outside attractions. For people who are there once a year (majority of guests) the virtual system just isn't really worth it. Im happy waiting in a line knowing I'm choosing to do this now, and I can do other things later.

A few attractions/shows I think this system works much better in, but an entire park could be a mess. What if I book a pass for Mario kart but I can't ride for 2-3 hours, what do I do? Then that takes even more time away from the park, plus then having to wait a little extra longer when my ride time arrives. It just isn't functional for an entire theme park imo.

bIt just requires more unnecessary planning. Its one thing I adore about Universal over Disney, the lack of planning. And this comes from a person who enjoys planning! Booking and planning fast passes is not super fun sometimes. It gets me excited for the ride but then I'm stuck with 3 time slots that I am forced to stick by throughout the day until my fast pass is over. It doesn't work for an entire park Imo, but I haven't been to VB.
There's no forced planning with VB.

To make sure everyone is aware of how VB works...
  • VB uses a virtual line for most attractions for busy days / attractions.
  • When it's not busy, everything is just the physical line, referred to as "ride now." (Usually up to a 20 min wait.)
  • When it's busy, you jump into the virtual line for a busy ride, and then you go find something else to do. These other things to do could be:
    • Go on another ride. There's always at least one ride you can stand in line for, and if it's only moderately busy there could be several "ride now" rides. Riding these will not remove you from the virtual line and any time spent in this physical line will also count toward your virtual line.
    • Go on the lazy river or river rapids, swim in the pool or wave pool, or lay out in the sun.
    • Eat at a restaurant or drink at a bar.
  • Once your wristband says "return to xyz ride" then you can return at any time.
  • There's no planning. You just tap in and do other stuff as you please, then return whenever you want (could be many hours later).
I stress the above because this is vastly different than the Disney method of planning everything in advanced and losing your place in line if you don't go where you are supposed to when you are told to.

Epic Universe could use the same process as VB. There are huge advantages, including:
  • They save on space (and money) by not being forced to build massive physical lines.
  • They encourage guests to spend more money (as people spend more time in stores/restaurants, and have credit cards linked to their wristband).
  • They collect massive amounts of data on their customers regarding who is going on what rides.
I'm not saying they will, but I have no doubt they are strongly considering it... and the fact that they are doing a 'wristband' experience at SNW only points to them having faith in the concept of wristbands. (We'll see if Mario Kart is virtual queue though.)

Last edited:
I don't like the virtual queue, especially on days I'm only popping into the parks for only a few hours. Anything that takes away from spontaneous touring is a negative.
I find much more spontaneous touring when in a virtual queue compared to when I'm standing in a 100 minute line.

For a theme park, it does require planning. You’re going to need to prioritize attractions. If I want to do Mario Kart I need to go and pick my time, wait, and then come back when it tells me to ride. It doesn’t take as much planning as Disney, but when you have a family and kids you can’t just sit around for 2 hours waiting for Mario Kart, you need some sort of backup plan. I really just don’t think it would work well as an entire theme park attraction. Would they limit you on how many rides you can do? How many you can book at once? If not, I’m not booking 1 ride at a time, that would be experience ruining.

Reactions: therock
For a theme park, it does require planning. You’re going to need to prioritize attractions. If I want to do Mario Kart I need to go and pick my time, wait, and then come back when it tells me to ride. It doesn’t take as much planning as Disney, but when you have a family and kids you can’t just sit around for 2 hours waiting for Mario Kart, you need some sort of backup plan. I really just don’t think it would work well as an entire theme park attraction. Would they limit you on how many rides you can do? How many you can book at once? If not, I’m not booking 1 ride at a time, that would be experience ruining.
Wait in Mario Kart virtual line
Go ride Yoshi
Go meet Mario
Go get a snack
Return to Mario Kart

I think that's a better experience than standing in Mario Kart physical line for 2 hours.

I always assumed that long lines were everyone's least favorite thing about theme parks until I started coming here.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkridelover
T
  • They encourage guests to spend more money (as people spend more time in stores/restaurants, and have credit cards linked to their wristband).
Except this doesn't happen. This is exactly what Disney thought Fastpass would do, and it doesn't. People want to do things. Making it so they have to get a reservation for almost everything is not what they want.

Also, MK won't be virtual queue

Reactions: therock and Mad Dog
Wait in Mario Kart virtual line
Go ride Yoshi
Go meet Mario
Go get a snack
Return to Mario Kart

I think that's a better experience than standing in Mario Kart physical line for 2 hours.

I always assumed that long lines were everyone's least favorite thing about theme parks until I started coming here.
No it’s not lines, but if what you want is happening, wouldn’t there be a virtual queue for Yoshi as well? So that means I can’t ride it until I’m done MK. Meet and greets aren’t my personal thing but I understand that applies to me, and eh, can’t spend money on food every time you’re waiting! I think if anything virtual queue Yoshi or something, but for these big attractions here it truly doesn’t make sense.

Keeping the virtual queue with shows and booking a showtime makes much more sense to me.

Except this doesn't happen. This is exactly what Disney thought Fastpass would do, and it doesn't. People want to do things. Making it so they have to get a reservation for almost everything is not what they want.
  1. VB system is completely different than Disney's system.
  2. What evidence do you have that people don't spend more money due to virtual lines?
Also, MK won't be virtual queue
According to?

No it’s not lines, but if what you want is happening, wouldn’t there be a virtual queue for Yoshi as well? So that means I can’t ride it until I’m done MK.
See my post on how VB works.. not all rides have to be virtual queue. You could have some rides which are always a physical line. VB has at least one ride which is "ride now" (physical queue). Yoshi could be that ride.

1. VB system is completely different than Disney's system.
Yea, I know. I've been to VB dude. And if you don't have a reservation for a ride, your choices boil down to lazy river or spend money.

What evidence do you have that people don't spend more money due to virtual lines?

What evidence do you have that they do?

Disney, the INDUSTRY LEADER, put in Fastpass because they thought people spending less time in line would lead to more money being spent in shops, restaurants, etc. That has *never* panned out. I'm not sure why you think it would suddenly pan out moving the concept a few miles down the road.

Reactions: richjagr
Also if nobody is actually waiting in line for MK the lines for anything without a virtual que like Meet and Greets would probably be an hour plus since people are looking for things to do until they can go wait in line for MK

That said I do like the virtual que at VB though since I don't mind spending time sunbathing, swimming in the wave pool or doing a river... I feel like theme parks are a different animal...

When I was there in 2017 the return tickets for Jimmy Fallon really irked me... it was like come back in 40 minutes... so we had wonder away and didn't have time to do anything else anyway so we just kind of walked from NY to SF and I think hung out at Richters even though we really weren't hungry for food at that time...

Also if nobody is actually waiting in line for MK the lines for anything without a virtual que like Meet and Greets would probably be an hour plus since people are looking for things to do until they can go wait in line for MK

That said I do like the virtual que at VB though since I don't mind spending time sunbathing, swimming in the wave pool or doing a river... I feel like theme parks are a different animal...

When I was there in 2017 the return tickets for Jimmy Fallon really irked me... it was like come back in 40 minutes... so we had wonder away and didn't have time to do anything else anyway so we just kind of walked from NY to SF and I think hung out at Richters even though we really weren't hungry for food at that time...

I agree that the water parks are different. They're more laid back, so sitting around and enjoying the sun is a valid day

[QUOTE="RFRees, post: 803161, member: 7644

See my post on how VB works.. not all rides have to be virtual queue. You could have some rides which are always a physical line. VB has at least one ride which is "ride now" (physical queue). Yoshi could be that ride.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, it was my understanding that you wanted the entire park VQ. Still, I don’t think it works haha. I genuinely don’t want to be tied down on my vacation, so having the absolute freedom is key. Also we have single rider and fast pass to pass by queues that people can purchase and spend more $ on as well. I understand parks are changing, but like jrn14 said, when it only gives you an hour to come back you’re not left with lots of options. I just hope it’s only for shows or the hub attractions if they intend to use it at all.

I find much more spontaneous touring when in a virtual queue compared to when I'm standing in a 100 minute line.
I don't ever ever stand in 100 minute lines though.:)....and as Cup of Coffee said, the virtual line at Fallon really irked us too. That one, and only, virtual queue completely messed up what we wanted to do in the park, and when we did it. I could imagine how bad it would be if there were a lot of attractions with virtual queue like Universal originally wanted to do after Fallon until they realized it didn't work all that well (failed short lived tests with DM and Shrek and Pter. Flyers too).

Last edited:
Reactions: therock
Status
Not open for further replies.