Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though we know so much about it, I think SNW is what I’m most excited for. Monsters could be interesting...Fantastic Beast will probably be decent since all the Wizarding World stuff has been top notch so far...but doing a whole land themed to Dragons really has me scratching my head. I just think that’s a big mistake. While Dragon may be good, I wonder if it really is timeless. I personally think a Dreamworks land makes more sense. That way they can change things out easier if/when a specific property becomes dated.

Even though we know so much about it, I think SNW is what I’m most excited for. Monsters could be interesting...Fantastic Beast will probably be decent since all the Wizarding World stuff has been top notch so far...but doing a whole land themed to Dragons really has me scratching my head. I just think that’s a big mistake. While Dragon may be good, I wonder if it really is timeless. I personally think a Dreamworks land makes more sense. That way they can change things out easier if/when a specific property becomes dated.

I think HTTYD makes sense because a) it's arguably the most beloved of the Dreamworks properties (aside from Shrek, maybe). b) Its fantasy setting and core concept of 'riding on dragons' will always be captivating, even if the IP is largely forgotten.

I think HTTYD makes sense because a) it's arguably the most beloved of the Dreamworks properties (aside from Shrek, maybe). b) Its fantasy setting and core concept of 'riding on dragons' will always be captivating, even if the IP is largely forgotten.

I have to agree with Lactose here. Honestly, i'm happy that we got a land based one a single Dreamsworks IP, (which just so happens to be the best one), then multiple. With Dreamwork's output, i think that would be a inconsistent mess.

Still, i'm a bit worried about HTTYD in practice. We haven't seen much of it but based on the concept art we've seen so far, the layout's looking a bit... flat. Giving me bad Six Flags vibes.

I have to agree with Lactose here. Honestly, i'm happy that we got a land based one a single Dreamsworks IP, (which just so happens to be the best one), then multiple. With Dreamwork's output, i think that would be a inconsistent mess.

Still, i'm a bit worried about HTTYD in practice. We haven't seen much of it but based on the concept art we've seen so far, the layout's looking a bit... flat. Giving me bad Six Flags vibes.
I heard Alicia say much more rock work would be in the actual land (remember, they hid things like peach’s castle to dissuade guesses). Maybe some sort of forced perspective of that giant rock at the back of berk (could that work)?

Also, HTTYD was closest to our perspective in the concept art, they had to take away more details most likely. Im taking the EU concept art as a rough estimate with really not a ton of exacts, especially pertaining to that land. Im expecting it to be pretty highly themed so I wouldn't be too worried. Heck if you look at the SNW leaked model, compare it to the UEU concept art, its not really the same. Similar, sure, but TONS of details are not included. I think we need to give it more time before we judge on the possible immersion or actual strength of the land until we see more concepts art or (hopefully) some more leaked models.

Reactions: badlactose
Keep hearing reports on interactivity in SNW (how the land is designed to be one big game or something like that) - is there any likelihood this type of tech is incorporated into the other lands?

Keep hearing reports on interactivity in SNW (how the land is designed to be one big game or something like that) - is there any likelihood this type of tech is incorporated into the other lands?
Fantastic Beasts will be filled with “escaped” magical creatures. Maybe we’ll be able to use our wands to help Newt round them up.

As has been reported, the Osaka version is going to have a wristband (like Magic-Band or Tapu Tapu) with a Mario symbol on it. I imagine that anyone entering this section of the park in Osaka will be given the wristband (and anyone exiting will need to return it to a bin). I assume the wristband will be attached to your park ticket (attendee scans your ticket and hands you the wristband). I think it's pretty safe to assume that the other versions of SNW will operate in a similar fashion - Mario themed wristband given to each guest in this section, used for interactive elements, may be used for virtual line system, wristband returned upon exit of this area.

But it's possible that Epic Universe operates differently. It's possible Universal gives out a wristband to each and every guest upon entry to Epic Universe (not just SNW). In this way, they could have interactive elements and virtual queue for the entire theme park.

Otherwise without wristbands, they could do a cell phone app similar to SWGE to gamify the entire park (and still connect with the wristbands in SNW).
Fantastic Beasts will be filled with “escaped” magical creatures. Maybe we’ll be able to use our wands to help Newt round them up.
That's awesome and I'm definitely excited about this! But, I don't see a way for full gamification with just wands (such as keeping track of all the creatures you've collected)... basically you would need the sensors to discriminate one wand from another, and say "this is Jane's wand" to keep track of her score. I believe they would need more advanced technology for the sensors and I'm not even sure the current interactive wands could work?

So without wristbands or advanced wand technology, in the Wizarding World you would need guests to pull out their phones to interact with the world (like SWGE)... and I'm just not sure JK would approve.

Last edited:

I'd assume the wand tech will return in a large scale for Potter, possibly as a way that @Alicia mentioned when it comes down to seeing some of the various creatures that Newt has around the Parisian exterior areas and the potential indoor Ministry.

I'd also think they'd legitimately do baby dragons for HTTYD; as it makes a lot of sense.

I'd assume the wand tech will return in a large scale for Potter, possibly as a way that @Alicia mentioned when it comes down to seeing some of the various creatures that Newt has around the Parisian exterior areas and the potential indoor Ministry.

I'd also think they'd legitimately do baby dragons for HTTYD; as it makes a lot of sense.
A lot of the Parisian streets, and escaped animals, will be in the enclosed part of the land. That should allow for better AAs with fur, feathers, etc, without being exposed to elements.

I could see the system work for a show. A stunt show like Bourne you want a full theater. Epic has got a huge theater so I could see work it there but for rides I hope not.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I visit the 3 UOR parks on a weekly basis (sometimes 2-3 times per week), and I'm really not sure what all the resistance to the virtual queue is. I hope they do a virtual queue with the entire park. Still crossing my fingers that they get this for Hagrid soon.

I'm really not sure what all the resistance to the virtual queue is.
Because not having people in a queue fundamentally breaks what a theme park is and how it works. People will wander around aimlessly being bored. People hate waiting in lines, but they hate being told them can't wait in those lines if they so choose even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.