Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big difference is that, even if it's "wrong," it's still accurate and is still using characters fully established in the land they're inhabiting. That's the difference Whether Potter fans like Beasts or not, they will have seen Paris and the story that takes place there. Same with Berk. Mushroom Kingdom is Mario, so there isn't really a "wrong" with that. A connection already exists.

Conversely, Batuu never existed in the films so ANY connection between the land and the characters is conceptual rather than experienced. I think, more than anything, that's why SWGE got a bit of a cooler response - it's not so much the characters as it the lack of connection. It makes the decision to NOT employ the established Original Trilogy characters appear far more cynical, especially when everything is "almost" Tatooine or Endor. Frankly, even putting the new characters on an original trilogy location would have likely caused a better reception.

That’s a very good point. For some reason, Disney has shied away from duplicating locations from their films directly - Pandora doesn’t take place anywhere near the famous “home tree” nor does Galaxy’s Edge give you a chance to step into any really classic locations (except from the Falcon for a hot minute - even the Star Destroyer is far from iconic). Perhaps that is in order to have more creative control on the land and explain away any bumps in terms of theme park operations. It’ll be interesting to see the critical reception for Tokyo’s BatB land, HK’s Frozen Land, etc, as Disney makes the turn towards directly copying iconic locations from films that might not have as much world-building as the HP films.

On a similar note, has anyone done the Singapore park with the fully immersive IP-based lands (Far Far Away, Madagascar, etc), and if so, does it reach Potter levels? The only concept where I feel like the recreated IP lands have really worked is IoA, and even so, Toon Lagoon/Seuss/Super Hero Island err more on classic amalgams of properties.

That’s a very good point. For some reason, Disney has shied away from duplicating locations from their films directly - Pandora doesn’t take place anywhere near the famous “home tree” nor does Galaxy’s Edge give you a chance to step into any really classic locations (except from the Falcon for a hot minute - even the Star Destroyer is far from iconic). Perhaps that is in order to have more creative control on the land and explain away any bumps in terms of theme park operations. It’ll be interesting to see the critical reception for Tokyo’s BatB land, HK’s Frozen Land, etc, as Disney makes the turn towards directly copying iconic locations from films that might not have as much world-building as the HP films.

On a similar note, has anyone done the Singapore park with the fully immersive IP-based lands (Far Far Away, Madagascar, etc), and if so, does it reach Potter levels? The only concept where I feel like the recreated IP lands have really worked is IoA, and even so, Toon Lagoon/Seuss/Super Hero Island err more on classic amalgams of properties.
Unpopular opinion here: I think Seuss is closer to Potter than to Super Hero Island. It needs a refresh, maybe a new paint job and some themed foods. But that land is INCREDIBLY themed.

Yes, Seuss is underrated by many hardcore theme park fans, probably due to it's younger demographic. But it's for sure one of the most immersive, and beautiful, lands in any theme park. Plus it has four rides, a couple of walk through experiences, and perhaps the best seasonal musical stage show in any theme park.....Note: They repaint it often. It's just that those vibrant colors easily fade in the Florida weather.

I love Seuss, too! I always have to walk by Sneech Beach, and if I'm taking a new friend I force them to go through "If I Ran The Zoo" and they love it. All I mean is that it's not themed to any particular book of Seuss' - it's not WhoVille, per se, it's an amalgam like Fantasyland. Like Super Hero Island, it is a city themed to the source material but not taken from any one book or movie, like Battu and the Valley of Mo'ara.

Just like the other rides I'd like to to be solely based on the book. Leave the holiday stuff and the show to the live-action Grinch.
Yup. Just another simple dark ride with maybe narration from the original movie would work well.

Yup. Just another simple dark ride with maybe narration from the original movie would work well.
Now, if they could get Anthony Hopkins (or just use clips from the live-action film), that I would not mind, as long as they only use the bits taken directly from the book.

904_bldg_overlay-1.jpg
P304_Overlay.jpg
So excited! Correct me if I’m wrong, but as the lines (which I know serve primarily as something else but this too) outline each of the lands and the coaster pretty perfectly, is it safe to assume fb doesn’t have expansion land? In the concept art it looks like they have some but not to the point where a full land is possible

Status
Not open for further replies.