Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 267 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any “preview center” will be online, and will likely launch a year from opening as a driver of vacation packages.

In 1997, only 37% of US households even had a computer. Only 19% of those had internet. By 2000, it was 51% and 41% respectively. Universal also wasn’t a “national” park at the time. It was still fairly local. A physical preview center was the best (and basically only) way to advertise in advance. Now, though? When people are literally able to do virtual and augmented reality with a device in their pocket? When Universal Studios is an internationally known resort? Why waste money of a physical preview center when all that money can go towards a virtual preview website and reach millions more people AND directly sell vacation packages?
Idk, Disney still did all that and managed to have nice displays in the Blue Sky Cellar from year to year. I don't see why this can't be a whynotboth.gif scenario.

Reactions: belloq87
Any “preview center” will be online, and will likely launch a year from opening as a driver of vacation packages.

In 1997, only 37% of US households even had a computer. Only 19% of those had internet. By 2000, it was 51% and 41% respectively. Universal also wasn’t a “national” park at the time. It was still fairly local. A physical preview center was the best (and basically only) way to advertise in advance. Now, though? When people are literally able to do virtual and augmented reality with a device in their pocket? When Universal Studios is an internationally known resort? Why waste money of a physical preview center when all that money can go towards a virtual preview website and reach millions more people AND directly sell vacation packages?

A physical preview center still makes perfect sense IF it is accompanied with an extremely similar online experience that will, like you said, boost intra/international travel. And the reason it does is because there is still a vital aspect to this that is exclusive to the physical space, and that is the importance of local novelty and support.

Consider the break-even catalyst to be an exclusive, limited run set of merchandise lines that is only accessible at the physical center. It could sell jean jackets, concept art prints, pins, etc, on top of aiding people in upgrading their annual passes to include EU. Consider also that the IOA preview center is still widely talked about, even by regular long-time locals. The resort is supported just as much by its locals as it is its tourists, and they deserve a physical space just because. If EPCOT could do it for a major park update years in advance, Universal can do it for their brand new theme park, imo.

Disney also had the VHS vacation planning videos, what a blast that was when it arrived in the mail.

I still think there's something to be said for a model and preview center. Having it in a park where you're directly advertising to people who have already proven that they're prepared to visit the parks. You could take it a step further and make it a past and future kind of deal. Universal seems to be warming to the nostalgia crowd with the 30th merch and CityWalkUniversal store.

It's also not like a model is a relic of the past. Epcot done it recently.

A Preview Center will enhance any social media push. Universal could post every hour about the new park but that's nothing compared to millions of people posting on their social media about it.

I mean…this is the company that has a streaming platform right? They have the opportunity to market a new HP land with targeted ads in front of each Potter film on Peacock. They’ve already attempted this with the behind the scenes show/ad for Hagrid. I’m hoping they have learned from Disney+ and the popularity of Imagineering story. It would draw theme park fans to the platform while also hitting their existing users who may be your more average vacationer. #synergy

Reactions: RevFreako
Man, remember the New Fantasyland model in One Man’s Dream? That thing was freaking massive.

We did get a Toy Story Land model (and a small piece of the Star Wars model) in recent history.
Blue Sky Cellar had models of Buena Vista Street and Pixar Pier, along with displays for many of the DCA additions. Epcot also has that preview center for Shanghai Disneyland. Even something like that in an unused corner would be a nice addition.

Why not both is return on investment. juice not worth squeeze

As a form of marketing, sure it is. Spending money to convince existing customers to come back is really common. At its most fundamental and basic premise, throwing up a model and some exhibits is no different than a hotel giving its premium customers free wi-fi and breakfast.

Idk, Disney still did all that and managed to have nice displays in the Blue Sky Cellar from year to year. I don't see why this can't be a whynotboth.gif scenario.

I enjoyed walking through the one before Toy Story Land and then again before Star Wars Land in Hollywood Studios. They also had the 15min long movie previews for that magical Oprah movie the one time, then for Onward last year. I think I saw a total of 15 people in the whole area plus movie theater when we we were there. The little one in my family LOVED Onward so we watched that promo like 3 different times he got cranky from the heat and we were the only people in there twice. Seeing the slinky dog coaster made him mad since it wasn't open yet. If people in charge of stuff at Universal had similar walkthroughs of those areas, it wouldn't justify any kind of expenditure to turn the huge newly-vacated theater/soundstage into something similar. Maybe there were better ones at other times in other Disney parks, but those were the two I walked through and while I really enjoyed the models and other historical photos and stuff, it didn't seem to draw very many people in there at all.

Put a wide angle webcam up over the park and throw together a 1-min long timelapse video of the construction progress once a month. Then show tiny portions of planned structures (like they do with HHN showing a small portion of the concept drawing for houses) show something cool, but don't give anything away and just fuel speculation places like here. When it gets closer and rides and stuff are announced, then take 3-D pictures of the models that can be rotated, zoomed into, etc. Have a newsletter you can subscribe to where "you'll be the first to know" new details. Interview different people like the Velocicoaster blog from a couple weeks ago. Have fun infographics like "5,000 miles of cable, 950 lightbulbs, 6000 plants, 200 trees" you know, whatever their plans are to just have cool facts like that. When you have an opening date, start up a countdown clock to the ribbon cutting. Lots of fun stuff they can do. Integrate it with the App and put up some banners/posters about how to get a preview of the new parking opening in (whatever year), and maybe there is something special on the app about it that only works when you are located within the parks.

Reactions: Grabnar
If I was UC, this is my take on Universal Classic Monsters.

Concept: Monsters are everywhere; some might say Universal. Showcases "Monsters" around the world with UCM based being highlighted. A mix of IP based/Original attractions.
Atmosphere: Eerie but not terrifying. Just a general sense of unease

Areas:
  • Europe 12 acres
    • Germany-Frankenstein (Yes I know Frankenstein takes place in the
    • Romania-Dracula
    • Paris-Hunchback/Phantom
    • UK-Wolfman; Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Americas; 8 acres
    • The Invisible Man
    • Creature of the black Lagoon
    • Original native American monster
    • Salem
  • Africa; 4 acres
    • North Africa-The Mummy
    • East-Popobawa; Buda
    • West- Adze; obayifo
    • South-Impundulu; Tikoloshe
  • Asia; 6 acres
    • East Asia; Gumiho; Doekkabi; Yokai
    • Southeast Asia: Buto Ijo
    • Central Asia : Jinn
*note while all these will be represented...Monster representation does not equal E ticket attraction per monster. Just representation within the land.
Phase 1: Europe
Phase 2: Americas/Asia
Phase 3: Africa

Europe
Main Area: Germany 5 acres; Romania 2 acres; Paris 3 acres, UK 2 acres

1x Full Service, 1x quick service
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Germany: You enter the land through the infamous German Black Forest. The smell of earth and moss fill the nostrils. Sounds of the wind whispering sounds you as you walk deeper into the forest. The deeper you walk the more foggy it gets until it opens up on a traditional German village...unaged despite the modern times. Castle Frankenstein overlooks the entire Europe area of the land.

Attractions: Frankenstein Dark Ride
Frankenstein Meet and Greet
Bride Meet and Greet

Full service: Specializing in Hessian and Baden Cuisine for region authenticity
--------------------------------------------------
France: east of Germany closest to the hotel: Walking to the East you see a scale version of Notre Dame and a Paris Opera House.

Attractions: Paris Opera House holds the Phantom Show planned originally for Hollywood that Never happened

1x Quick service, sandwiches etc
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romania: West of Germany; Housing of Castle Dracula

Attraction: Dracula Castle Walkthrough attraction
Dracula, Van Helsing, The Brides Meet and Greet
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UK North of Germany:
England: 1800s steampunk style indoor land...perpetually night
Dr Jekyll's Bar....drinks that turn a man into a monster
Wolfman Meet and Greet

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jarmor
If I was UC, this is my take on Universal Classic Monsters.

Concept: Monsters are everywhere; some might say Universal. Showcases "Monsters" around the world with UCM based being highlighted. A mix of IP based/Original attractions.
Atmosphere: Eerie but not terrifying. Just a general sense of unease

Areas:
  • Europe 12 acres
    • Germany-Frankenstein (Yes I know Frankenstein takes place in the
    • Romania-Dracula
    • Paris-Hunchback/Phantom
    • UK-Wolfman; Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Americas; 8 acres
    • The Invisible Man
    • Creature of the black Lagoon
    • Original native American monster
    • Salem
  • Africa; 4 acres
    • North Africa-The Mummy
    • East-Popobawa; Buda
    • West- Adze; obayifo
    • South-Impundulu; Tikoloshe
  • Asia; 6 acres
    • East Asia; Gumiho; Doekkabi; Yokai
    • Southeast Asia: Buto Ijo
    • Central Asia : Jinn
*note while all these will be represented...Monster representation does not equal E ticket attraction per monster. Just representation within the land.
Phase 1: Europe
Phase 2: Americas/Asia
Phase 3: Africa

Europe
Main Area: Germany 5 acres; Romania 2 acres; Paris 3 acres, UK 2 acres

1x Full Service, 1x quick service

Germany: You enter the land through the infamous German Black Forest. The smell of earth and moss fill the nostrils. Sounds of the wind whispering sounds you as you walk deeper into the forest. The deeper you walk the more foggy it gets until it opens up on a traditional German village...unaged despite the modern times. Castle Frankenstein overlooks the entire Europe area of the land.

France: east of Germany closest to the hotel:

Romania: West of Germany;

UK North of Germany:
So you want an entire Monsters theme park?

• Haha
Reactions: jarmor
I think it comparable to the amount of land Universal utilized for Potter, Nintendo and its expansions, etc. I think their oldest IP deserve that much....
Except SNW is about six acres. Diagon Alley (for comparison) is six acres. Berk in EU I believe is suppose to be 10-12 acres. That’s 20-24 acres for three different IPs.

This plan is devoting 32 acres to nothing but Monsters. That’s almost a third of the Studios entire size.

Except SNW is about six acres. Diagon Alley (for comparison) is six acres. Berk in EU I believe is suppose to be 10-12 acres. That’s 20-24 acres for three different IPs.

This plan is devoting 32 acres to nothing but Monsters. That’s almost a third of the Studios entire size.

Potter is Hogsmeade, Diagon, FB...around 25 acres. Nintendo if the Zelda and pokemon extensions go through are will also be around 25 acres. Thats why I had Monsters at 30 acres.

Potter is Hogsmeade, Diagon, FB...around 25 acres. Nintendo if the Zelda and pokemon extensions go through are will also be around 25 acres. Thats why I had Monsters at 30 acres.
That’s across multiple parks. And with Nintendo, it technically be multiple IPs under a broad umbrella. You’re putting all of that in a single park. That’s the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.