Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 417 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also looking at the list there should be the Potter theater and Dragon theater

Still looking, does seam like some more C/d ticket capacity fillers wouldn't go amiss, even a A/B high throughput thing would be alright going by the ticket system

I mean shame that rumour of SLOP being put in that tiny bit of land by the entrance wasn't a rumour (just fit it with a more conventional omni mover system rather than the individual lapbars spaced system, would require 2 show scenes to be adjusted

Universal isn’t going to build Disney like rides. Wishing for a slow moving boat dark ride with AAs is asking for disappointment.

What do you call that Kung Fu Panda ride they opened in Beijing? Now, that ride could be a lot better than it is, but in terms of ride category, is that not exactly what we're talking about? Moving strictly beyond boats, this is also the company that recently opened a dark ride filled with animated figures in Hollywood, as well as another slow-moving omnimover in Nintendo.

And even if it were true that Universal is dead-set on never building one in Florida, that shouldn't be something that fans just have to accept. We should complain about such a thing... because it's dumb to set such an arbitrary limitation as a company.

The HTTYD coaster is a solid D-ticket. Even if it has show scenes (which seem to be very minor and quick), viewing it as an E-ticket comparing it to Monsters/Mario Kart is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I also think Nintendo will be more popular as a land at Epic (Potter will remain the crown jewel for the resort as a whole).

Universal doesn't need to compete 1:1 with Disney... but it certainly needs to integrate family-friendly (no height requirement) non-motion base attractions that guests can enjoy.

I don't think the conversation should necessarily be about Disney-like rides (and perhaps my original label of Pirates-style was lazy and imprecise in this respect). I'm certainly not yearning for a nostalgic ride that looks like it was built decades ago. But I think rides like Pirates stand for something more than that -- a certain kind of world building, a certain depth of atmosphere and mood -- which Universal could certainly build in their own house style. I can imagine a boat ride with slower and faster sections, a few good drops, a more 'thrilling' or sinister story and a thrilling soundtrack. They'd have the chance to go all-in on set design and detailed environments and building something with atmosphere and character, but that needn't mean building a ride that Disney would build. Hey, I wouldn't even care if there were screens in part of it.

Put another way: I think there's a way of imagining Skull Island built as a boat ride like this (ok, maybe with a higher-stakes storyline). It could fulfil the same purpose as an attraction whilst giving some variety in ride experiences.

I don't think the conversation should necessarily be about Disney-like rides (and perhaps my original label of Pirates-style was lazy and imprecise in this respect). I'm certainly not yearning for a nostalgic ride that looks like it was built decades ago. But I think rides like Pirates stand for something more than that -- a certain kind of world building, a certain depth of atmosphere and mood -- which Universal could certainly build in their own house style. I can imagine a boat ride with slower and faster sections, a few good drops, a more 'thrilling' or sinister story and a thrilling soundtrack. They'd have the chance to go all-in on set design and detailed environments and building something with atmosphere and character, but that needn't mean building a ride that Disney would build. Hey, I wouldn't even care if there were screens in part of it.

Put another way: I think there's a way of imagining Skull Island built as a boat ride like this (ok, maybe with a higher-stakes storyline). It could fulfil the same purpose as an attraction whilst giving some variety in ride experiences.

Exactly, a ride that provides large scenic moments and storytelling is needed at Universal that is more about the locale and the characters versus the actual story itself. Universal's attractions are extremely linear, and I would love for them to tackle a ride that offers the opportunity to do so.

Imagine Dead Man's Pier as an 8-minute boat ride - not a thrilling linear story, but a thrilling environment just to be in.

I’ve always since a kid felt like, Universal puts YOU in the action/story, and Disney had you WATCH the story, there’s a key difference there. If we’re more involved with the story, the more thrilling it will naturally be. I hope that trend continues here, and it sounds like it will.

I ran a search before asking, but do we have any idea who is manufacturing the Donkey Kong rollercoaster? The design was being tested in Utah, which seems like it may be S&S but I just wondered if there were any other ideas.

Last edited:
Do we have an estimated animatronic count for the Monsters e-ticket? I know we’re pretty sure about Dr.Frankenstein’s descendant in the pre show or queue, how many are we thinking on the ride? It’s a little worrying that actual animatronics of the monsters weren’t included in the Screamscape article.

If they want to do this ride right, the monsters NEED to be animatronics. Projections won’t have nearly the same presence.

Reactions: belloq87
Do we have an estimated animatronic count for the Monsters e-ticket? I know we’re pretty sure about Dr.Frankenstein’s descendant in the pre show or queue, how many are we thinking on the ride? It’s a little worrying that actual animatronics of the monsters weren’t included in the Screamscape article.

If they want to do this ride right, the monsters NEED to be animatronics. Projections won’t have nearly the same presence.
I wouldn't even say we're sure of the descendant AA for preshow/queue. (That story detail is still very much only a rumor itself, let alone how it would be conveyed on the attraction.) As far as I know, we don't have any idea of AAs for this attraction yet.

I wouldn't even say we're sure of the descendant AA for preshow/queue. (That story detail is still very much only a rumor itself, let alone how it would be conveyed on the attraction.) As far as I know, we don't have any idea of AAs for this attraction yet.
Yikes.

Why yikes? It could have 100 AAs. It could have 0. I’m saying we just don’t know anything yet.

Alicia with a new video covering Donkey Kong Coaster.

Thanks Alicia :)

One question I haven't seen answered and not sure if they could do it with the ride format. We know the "cart" will jump over gaps, but could we also get sections where the cart tilts sideways on two wheels when it goes around corners. Obviously it won't be on two wheels due to the second set of rails the actual vehicle is attached to. The only problem with this is that passengers will be squished against one side of the vehicle in these "tilted" sections. Not sure how the restraints are going to work (still watching vehicle)

The video/article specifically mentions a moment where it’s rumored the cart will teeter on two wheels. Achieved by banking the turn on the real track while keeping the fake track flat. So not any different than a normally banked turn, but made to look like we come off the track!

Why yikes? It could have 100 AAs. It could have 0. I’m saying we just don’t know anything yet.

The video/article specifically mentions a moment where it’s rumored the cart will teeter on two wheels. Achieved by banking the turn on the real track while keeping the fake track flat. So not any different than a normally banked turn, but made to look like we come off the track!

Just got to that part and edited my question. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Alicia
You’re right, I just get worried since I feel like we kinda have a feel for what other attractions might feature animatronics, but we’re still kinda in the dark with Monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.