Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: ChrisFL
I honestly hope that this rumored overhaul comes to Islands of Adventure at some point despite what the post says, as JPRA’s animatronics are in such poor condition in comparison to how they were back in the 90s.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I honestly hope that this rumored overhaul comes to Islands of Adventure at some point despite what the post says, as JPRA’s animatronics are in such poor condition in comparison to how they were back in the 90s.
We’ve been speculating recently that if JW with a gryosphere ride opens with the 4th park, JP at IOA may be replaced with a new land entirely some time after, which could be part of the reasoning for not updating it here. Maybe.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
Since things have been changing almost on a weekly basis, I wanted to give my opinion of what I expect out of this park in terms of rides and lands:

-Entrance area similar to DisneySea's as it will feature a hotel (hopefully)
-Nintendo Land, very expansive area with Mario, Donkey Kong area and Yoshi Island
-European-general area where they fit both Fantastic beasts and Doctor Who.
-DreamWorks area: I see Pokemon/Zelda going into IOA with Illuminations going into USF, therefore allowing DreamWorks to have its own area with Panda, HTTYD, Shrek, Madagascar.
-I then see them creating a unique no-IP themed land with a thrill coaster.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I'm all for ET going, but only if we get another dark ride in its place. It's crazy that Universal only has two classic-style dark rides right now (ET + Cat in the Hat).

I mean...most modern parks don't have many "classic-style dark rides". We just exist in a community mostly made up of people growing up with MK/Disneyland, so our POVs are skewed.

I mean...most modern parks don't have many "classic-style dark rides". We just exist in a community mostly made up of people growing up with MK/Disneyland, so our POVs are skewed.
The rides have just evolved. Instead of your classic Peter Pan or IASW, one of the rides Disney is opening next year is based on Mickey Mouse, using modern technology. It's the same type of ride in spirit, just evolved for present day and not 1971.

The rides have just evolved. Instead of your classic Peter Pan or IASW, one of the rides Disney is opening next year is based on Mickey Mouse, using modern technology. It's the same type of ride in spirit, just evolved for present day and not 1971.

Sure, but even then most modern parks (as in built after 1990, let's say) don't have many of those rides. TDS has 2 (Sindbad and 20K), DCA has 2, DAK has one, etc. It's just not generally a staple like it was back in the day.

Sure, but even then most modern parks (as in built after 1990, let's say) don't have many of those rides. TDS has 2 (Sindbad and 20K), DCA has 2, DAK has one, etc. It's just not generally a staple like it was back in the day.
But that's for two reasons: Universal has made a conscious choice to focus on screen rides (which has gone overboard) and Disney decided not to do anything for 10 years, so they are just now bringing trackless rides to WDW that you see at the international parks.

But that's for two reasons: Universal has made a conscious choice to focus on screen rides (which has gone overboard) and Disney decided not to do anything for 10 years, so they are just now bringing trackless rides to WDW that you see at the international parks.

I'd argue a screen ride can be a classic-style dark ride. It's more that the smaller dark ride is just not something that's built anymore, generally.

I wouldn't consider something like Ratatouille a classic style dark ride.

I'm of the opinion that all you ET haterz can go at whenever! :fist:

I don't hate ET. It's just that ET isn't good enough to be a sacred cow.

Reactions: Quint and Alicia
I'd argue a screen ride can be a classic-style dark ride. It's more that the smaller dark ride is just not something that's built anymore, generally.

I wouldn't consider something like Ratatouille a classic style dark ride.
There's a good debate there actually. I consider Spider-Man and FJ to be evolved versions of Dark Rides. Hell, FJ is an omni-mover.

I agree about Rat. When I said bringing trackless rides over, I wasn't meaning clones. We're getting two trackless rides in 2019 (Mickey, Battle Escape), and one in 2020 (Rat). Rat just happens to be one of them and is the weakest. It's also still a great ride to be your weakest addition.

Reactions: sjago13 and Alicia
To me, if your attraction doesn't have substantial sets and/or animatronics (or animated figures of some sort), it might still be a "dark ride," but I don't think it could be "classic-style."

To me, if your attraction doesn't have substantial sets and/or animatronics (or animated figures of some sort), it might still be a "dark ride," but I don't think it could be "classic-style."
Where do you stand on FJ as a "classic-style" dark ride? It has much of what you describe, it's just in an evolved form.

Status
Not open for further replies.