Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 199 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just assume they're thinking about a Nintendo-only park in the context of 2 dry parks at the South Resort..., the question is still why not split them up?

Scenario 1 (Nintendo-only park + another dry park):
Dry Park #3 headliners:
Mario, Pokemon, Zelda etc.

Dry Park #4 headliners:
LOTR + maybe Star Trek or DC?

# of Crossover rides to force multi-ticket hopping:

Scenario 2 (split Nintendo and LOTR into 2 parks):
Dry Park #3 headliners:
Mario and LOTR part 1 (Mordor + Minas Tirith)

Dry Park #4 headliners:
Pokemon/Zelda and LOTR part 2 (Shire + Isengard)

# of Crossover rides to force multi-ticket hopping:
2 (One between the Nintendo lands, and another between the LOTR lands)

Okay, now if you're a Universal Executive... don't you go for Scenario 2 automatically? You basically force everyone to get a multi-hopper to use the crossover rides for Nintendo and LOTR. You create 2 strong parks instead of a potentially strong Nintendo park and a 2nd park that caters to a completely different audience...

I mean, if they're delaying all the Nintendo stuff, then go all out and make 2 parks with those headliners, and you're looking at 2 parks with 10 million guests easy. Scenario 1? That's a lot more iffy on the 4th dry park.

Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon take place in completely different universes. A ride between them wouldn't really make sense.

And who's to say that Nintendo only has a certain audience? They could pretty much create the IP version of Magic Kingdom (fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, etc), a park that appeals to everybody. Video game fans wouldn't be the only people that visit. People are gonna visit a new park regardless.

Broke: Video games aren't really a good match for theme parks, outside of maybe Nintendo.

Woke: An All Video Game Theme Park.

P.S. I love the What If? mock-up Alicia! :exclap:

No it’s common sense. It’d be an idiotic business decision
Are you calling Alicia an idiot?!?!?! :yikes:

;)
MK is only 107 acres. It just uses its space really well
Lol. MK using space really well... have you been to Disneyland? If MK was as packed and efficient in space use as that park it’d have like 50 rides.

Last edited:
Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I’ve never been to a Lego Land, but I assume they do ok? If UNI built a Nintendo park, I assume Nintendo would share some of the cost and maybe you could get the park opened sooner if it concentrated on just Nintendo.

My first reaction was, I would feel like a kid again, but honestly, I was thinking it was one area with a small lake...sort of like islands, but with mini areas, but, if they went with one Nintendo only park and then built a second water park....the hotels and a shopping area could pick up business from OCCC. Conventioneers sometimes bring family that need something to do while one family member is working.

I do not know, but maybe it gives them a chance improve the current gates while still making revenue from the new land.

Time will tell I imagine, but, as @Disneyhead mentioned, this fits in with what he questioned a couple of months back about a park that was not a UNI Park, but a park built in partnership with someone.

If they start off smaller than we were hoping, maybe it keeps it tough for any property owners between current and south properties so they still have time to gather more land for when they are ready for a fourth dry gate.

Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon take place in completely different universes. A ride between them wouldn't really make sense.

And who's to say that Nintendo only has a certain audience? They could pretty much create the IP version of Magic Kingdom (fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, etc), a park that appeals to everybody. Video game fans wouldn't be the only people that visit. People are gonna visit a new park regardless.
Isn't a "Super Smash Bros"-like ride the obvious crossover ride? If you had a Mario's SNW in one park and Pokemon/Zelda in another; you could create something based on Super Smash Bros to connect them. It could involve Nintendo's characters from across both parks and have them interact.

I'm not worried about the Nintendo-only park; I'm more concerned about the other park and the possible negative effect of having 2 parks that may not have as much crossover attendance.

The Nintendo Lands will be profitable no matter how they're built; the question is what impact they'll have on the rest of the resort. Splitting up Mario and Pokemon makes a lot of sense because their fanbases have a lot of overlap, i.e. the people that are in Orlando and want to experience one are likely to want to experience the other.

It just makes a lot more business sense to me for the Orlando resort to split the IPs up across the 3rd and 4th dry parks and then connect them. We saw how well it worked for the north resort.

I’ve never been to a Lego Land, but I assume they do ok? If UNI built a Nintendo park, I assume Nintendo would share some of the cost and maybe you could get the park opened sooner if it concentrated on just Nintendo.

My first reaction was, I would feel like a kid again, but honestly, I was thinking it was one area with a small lake...sort of like islands, but with mini areas, but, if they went with one Nintendo only park and then built a second water park....the hotels and a shopping area could pick up business from OCCC. Conventioneers sometimes bring family that need something to do while one family member is working.

I do not know, but maybe it gives them a chance improve the current gates while still making revenue from the new land.

Time will tell I imagine, but, as @Disneyhead mentioned, this fits in with what he questioned a couple of months back about a park that was not a UNI Park, but a park built in partnership with someone.

If they start off smaller than we were hoping, maybe it keeps it tough for any property owners between current and south properties so they still have time to gather more land for when they are ready for a fourth dry gate.

Universal now owns all the possible theme park land. The other land they could buy would be for hotels, not anything to do with the theme parks (like the Wet 'n Wild plot). The only other possible land that could be rezoned to theme park is the Lockheed campus, but they're not going anywhere based on the expansion they're planning and the most recent military contracts that they signed for their missile plant.

So Comcast formalized their deal with Sky which has a co-production deal with HBO. So some upcoming HBO properties may be available for Universal if deal goes through and closes.
Now we can have Westeros and Westworld lands. Time for an 18 and over park.:)

Okay, they didn't do those together but it was a fun thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
10 AM-3 PM PDT Universal's upcoming lineup gets seen and introduced at CinemaCon, maybe we can guess what the big movies will be based on hype

I would assume Grinch, Dragons - Hidden World, House with Clock on The Wall, Blumhouse Halloween, Fallen Kingdom, Mortal Engines, an announcement on that F&F Spin-off in regards to casting and perhaps the announcement of Universal and Blumhouse working together for FNAF on Distribution at Cinemacon.

Are you calling Alicia an idiot?!?!?! :yikes:

;)

Not in the slightest. I just think a Nintendo park would be a supremely bad idea on Universal's part, and I would hope they realize that as well. Even a "Cartooniversal" reboot featuring Nintendo, Illumination, and DreamWorks is a far better idea than Nintendo-only.

Lol. MK using space really well... have you been to Disneyland? If MK was as packed and efficient in space use as that park it’d have like 50 rides.

True, I was just responding to the post in question that mentioned MK.

I would assume Grinch, Dragons - Hidden World, House with Clock on The Wall, Blumhouse Halloween, Fallen Kingdom, Mortal Engines, and perhaps the announcement of Universal and Blumhouse working together for FNAF on Distribution for Cinemacon.

Dreamworks stuff is likely being saved for Annecy Film festival as Dreamworks has both the opening and closing slots, and sharing the first footage of Dragons there. However I'm assuming the rest we may see projects not coming out this year as WB and Disney both showed things that doesn't come out until next year...essentially what the audience responds most to may hint where Universal is thinking is their strongest suits for franchise thus theme parks.

Never mind, we found our answer...

“Our approach to our film business has been to build on franchises and animation,” he said. “The purchase of DreamWorks Animation is going to start bearing fruit.” In response to an analyst’s question about premium video on demand and the ongoing existential battles over windowing, Burke expressed unbridled optimism about Universal’s prospects.
NBCU Chief Steve Burke On NBC And Universal: “We Have The Cards” | Deadline

So more animation based projects and more franchises which may also be animation based.

However I'm assuming the rest we may see projects not coming out this year as WB and Disney both showed things that doesn't come out until next year...essentially what the audience responds most to may hint where Universal is thinking is their strongest suits for franchise thus theme parks.

Honestly, that's why I'm thinking that well see stuff for that F&F Spin-off and on FNAF distribution rights, as WB seems out of the case of that, following the shakeup of FNAF an bringing in of Columbus.

I do think Illumination will be there, as they have been there to show off their products previously, and if anything, I would wonder if they will bring up the Nintendo collaboration, given we only know that it's happening with not much else said.

Not in the slightest. I just think a Nintendo park would be a supremely bad idea on Universal's part, and I would hope they realize that as well. Even a "Cartooniversal" reboot featuring Nintendo, Illumination, and DreamWorks is a far better idea than Nintendo-only.
If this happened it wouldn’t be only Universal’s decision. Nintendo would have to make a hell of an offer.

Reactions: Trickster24
Status
Not open for further replies.