Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 436 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I argue for Pokémon being the first land? I think you need to reread my original post.

And yes, I do fully believe that when Universal got the rights to Nintendo’s characters they also got Pokémon. Will Game Freak and Creatures be involved in developement? Sure. But I highly doubt they can say no to the overall deal and, say, go to Disney instead for Pokémon. Universal’s got the rights. End of story. If they don’t and still made the deal then they’re incompetent idiots.

I was kind of referencing a few different posts being made.

In terms of "order" of things it was in reference to AlexanderMBush stating "It should not, nor would it not, be a bad thing if Pokemon was the first IP for Super Nintendo World in the the terms of Orlando." Edit: nor would it surprise me if Nintendo mandates "Mario First".

In terms of the everything else, for sure Pokemon will come to Universal. I've never doubted that. IMO it will just likely take a bit longer to design and come to terms with what it will be/look like/include because there are more cooks in the kitchen (companies that have stakeholdership) and not just Nintendo and Universal creatively deciding what it will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: truejonas
It's over a decade away before they start to get serious with a 4th dry park. They're not going to hold back on IPs they want specifically for some park that may never actually happen. The 3rd park is still a ways off and they need to see how that goes. That park will get expansions, as well as new projects in the existing parks, before we hear news of another park.

I don't see Super Nintendo World opening without Mario. It has great appeal to fans and non-fans alike. I get that Pokemon has many fans too but it's not yet a timeless icon with the stature of Mario. If they want to split Nintendo between parks it'll be with one of the existing parks, like the possible Kidzone replacement being discussed in another thread.

It's over a decade away before they start to get serious with a 4th dry park. They're not going to hold back on IPs they want specifically for some park that may never actually happen. The 3rd park is still a ways off and they need to see how that goes. That park will get expansions, as well as new projects in the existing parks, before we hear news of another park.

Agreed. If they have a good IP now, they should use it in the existing or closest up-and-coming parks. Something like Minions will most likely be stale in 10 years.

I don't see Super Nintendo World opening without Mario. It has great appeal to fans and non-fans alike. I get that Pokemon has many fans too but it's not yet a timeless icon with the stature of Mario. If they want to split Nintendo between parks it'll be with one of the existing parks, like the possible Kidzone replacement being discussed in another thread.

Mario is definitely synonymous with Nintendo. My issue with Pokémon is the constant introduction of new creatures (I couldn't tell you a single name of any released since the Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald series). They'd have to hand pick which Pokémon will be best received, and there are a lot to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey and Mad Dog
I believe the ‘MARIO in park 4 talk’ has more to do with VB counting as a Park verses saying ‘3rd dry park’....but I never follow the counting of gates.
Earlier comments were for Pokemon to go in the 3rd park and Mario being held back for a 4th park.

Reactions: Joey
Earlier comments were for Pokemon to go in the 3rd park and Mario being held back for a 4th park.
Marios one of the few things formally announced. Studios opened in 1990, IOA in 1999, and before 9/11 hit (and subsequent bad leadership until Comcast bought it), they were already planning the next gate. Universal's probably targeting a similar timeframe... 2022 gate 3, 2030 gate 4. I think 2030 is too long to hold onto Pokemon (or Mario) if the rights are already negotiated though.

Mario is definitely synonymous with Nintendo. My issue with Pokémon is the constant introduction of new creatures (I couldn't tell you a single name of any released since the Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald series). They'd have to hand pick which Pokémon will be best received, and there are a lot to choose from.
I imagine they would focus on the original 150

Ok my question is since I started a topic which shouldn’t have been started it got locked. Since the popularity of back to the future is back even though the director insists a reboot or sequel will never happen it is so weird we are seeing so many references even though a new BTTF film may never get made. I just think also with the reunion of the cast something could be done. With 71% of Americans in a recent poll saying that they want a new back to the future movie and Zemeckis and gale say they won’t do another one once they are not here anymore. It’s very weird that a new movie hasn’t been made. Just saying with all the media attention BTTF is getting is it still highly doubtful a new attraction will come to a fourth gate even if a new movie doesn’t get made. Still with movie references can it still spark interest of a future attraction?

Ok my question is since I started a topic which shouldn’t have been started it got locked. Since the popularity of back to the future is back even though the director insists a reboot or sequel will never happen it is so weird we are seeing so many references even though a new BTTF film may never get made. I just think also with the reunion of the cast something could be done. With 71% of Americans in a recent poll saying that they want a new back to the future movie and Zemeckis and gale say they won’t do another one once they are not here anymore. It’s very weird that a new movie hasn’t been made. Just saying with all the media attention BTTF is getting is it still highly doubtful a new attraction will come to a fourth gate even if a new movie doesn’t get made. Still with movie references can it still spark interest of a future attraction?

Less than 1% chance. The actors are too old at this point.

Short answer: no.
Long answer: Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo.

Marios one of the few things formally announced. Studios opened in 1990, IOA in 1999, and before 9/11 hit (and subsequent bad leadership until Comcast bought it), they were already planning the next gate. Universal's probably targeting a similar timeframe... 2022 gate 3, 2030 gate 4. I think 2030 is too long to hold onto Pokemon (or Mario) if the rights are already negotiated though.

This park wasn’t just being planned before 9/11, it was announced before IOA even opened.

They’re not going to wait 12 years to add Pokémon.

Less than 1% chance. The actors are too old at this point.
Your even saying no to a ready player one ride with a deloreon styled coaster? I mean back to the future is still very popular. Their’s a reason why 71% of Americans want a new movie. Your saying a back to the future attraction is not likely to comeback to a fourth gate even though the franchise is still very fresh in our minds even if another movie is not made? I understand Universal wants to move on to newer franchises based on newer movies but BTTF a majority of Universal fans still miss it. Why have references in other films? Their must be a reason they want to ressurect it in a future park.

Your even saying no to a ready player one ride with a deloreon styled coaster? I mean back to the future is still very popular. Their’s a reason why 71% of Americans want a new movie. Your saying a back to the future attraction is not likely to comeback to a fourth gate even though the franchise is still very fresh in our minds even if another movie is not made? I understand Universal wants to move on to newer franchises based on newer movies but BTTF a majority of Universal fans still miss it. Why have references in other films? Their must be a reason they want to ressurect it in a future park.
You’re welcome to hope and wish for something, but not everyone agrees that something like that will happen.

Universal wants to focus on newer, and more timeless properties and DreamWorks characters after their recent acquisition.

Back to the Future is a classic film. And I believe classic films don’t need to be remade. And not every classic film needs a theme Park Attraction.

And there’s a lot of love for 1980s nostalgia right now. But that will wane over the next decade. Until then, I think it’s great that we can purchase some cool new Back to the Future merchandise and see references in books and movies, but this movie already had a ride. And it was s great ride. But that ship has sailed.

Just my opinion. Sure it’d be cool, but I don’t see it happening.

I would assume the answer is still no.

Ready Player One, isn't a franchise. And while they may have "plans" to make it as such, it's unlikely that it may be proven a success by the time Universal finalizes plans for Gate 4 (which I assume are going to close in the coming months, if not already).

I don't see BTTF getting any form of a theme park presence in the next few decades. If you want it so badly, it will probably have to wait until Rob Zemeckis and Bob Gale die.

Status
Not open for further replies.