Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 553 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they’re smart not to?

Pointe. Mercado.

There’s been a few CityWalk-type places that have been unsuccessful along that section of the I-Drive tourism district. Stand-alone restaurants at street side tend to do better than strip malls and complexes around there.

A theme park is a destination people purposely travel to. Dinner could just be whatever you see as you’re passing by and pop in.
Mercardo was popular when it opened. Then the owner raised rents and the stores left. What came back was lower-tier shops and a lot of empty facades that led to its end. Icon is doing well in the exact same spot. (Pointe Orlando's problem is charging for parking and an extreemly nasty staff)

Reactions: SeventyOne
Mercardo was popular when it opened. Then the owner raised rents and the stores left. What came back was lower-tier shops and a lot of empty facades that led to its end. Icon is doing well in the exact same spot. (Pointe Orlando's problem is charging for parking and an extreemly nasty staff)
Good points.

I think a CityWalk is more useful when it serves more than just 1 theme park though.

Reactions: JungleSkip
I envision at least one "Premier" hotel at the new site. And also a cheaper " sleek" version aka Aventura. Dumb not to with the Convention Center right there. Having stayed at the premier existing resorts, I can say many convention goers stay there without going to the parks. Just saying.

I envision at least one "Premier" hotel at the new site. And also a cheaper " sleek" version aka Aventura. Dumb not to with the Convention Center right there. Having stayed at the premier existing resorts, I can say many convention goers stay there without going to the parks. Just saying.
Definitely true. Like you, we stay at the deluxes most of the time. I've always been taken aback by the sheer number of business people we've talked to , that are attending conventions at Portofino & Royal Pacific, that never go into the parks themselves, or only go for a couple of hours if their company buys out the park.

Universal has been hitting home runs with their hotels...I'm excited to see what they do on the new property

Reactions: OrlLover and RFRees
So with Revenge of the Mummy over 15 years old now and a potential Monsters Land on the way for UFW, i'd assume Mummy will shift over to UFW and a new ride will replace RotM at USF?

I'm still amused by how much of a non-sequitur Fraser's button at the end of the ride is if a person wasn't really taking their time in the first room of the queue. That whole framing device storyline really needed to be set-up deeper into the queue where guests actually might end up waiting instead of walking right through.

Vosloo can’t beat Karloff. :shrug:
In a vacuum, absolutely. But Vosloo's version of the character probably fits an adventure thrill ride more than Karloff's.

In a vacuum, absolutely. But Vosloo's version of the character probably fits an adventure thrill ride more than Karloff's.

I think it can work. Obviously the 99 Mummy was more adventure than the 30’s horror and made it an easy, obvious fit - but there’s no reason why they can’t meld the 2. Keep the Adventure, but have the 30’s classic imagery.

Reactions: belloq87
Definitely true. Like you, we stay at the deluxes most of the time. I've always been taken aback by the sheer number of business people we've talked to , that are attending conventions at Portofino & Royal Pacific, that never go into the parks themselves, or only go for a couple of hours if their company buys out the park.

Our waiter at Strongwater Tavern was saying that they making a killing from the convention crowd. Excellent bottles of whisky and a company credit card are a match made in heaven.

Our waiter at Strongwater Tavern was saying that they making a killing from the convention crowd. Excellent bottles of whisky and a company credit card are a match made in heaven.
Expense accounts big time there. Most of the time there's lots of people in suits, which is a big tip off. Probably rarely make it to the parks though, between the long business meetings during the day, and the expense meals/drinks in the evening.

Expense accounts big time there. Most of the time there's lots of people in suits, which is a big tip off. Probably rarely make it to the parks though, between the long business meetings during the day, and the expense meals/drinks in the evening.

I don’t know why. Everybody in a suit on Jurassic Park would be an excellent corporate photo.

Reactions: therock
Status
Not open for further replies.