Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we think that the monorail will be like HE, with screens projecting landscapes or will they leave it open and potentially show everyone iDrive and tourist trap areas?

I don't think it will be quite as themed as HP but I do expect the windows to be blocked out somehow. Even if they take the cheap option and just advertise the parks or movie trailers. It's only going to be a 5/10min journey so it doesn't have to be anything too creative. As long as it doesn't get repetitive as I imagine people will make several journeys on it per trip.

I disagree. I think there's a large untapped market when it comes to single or older adults with disposable income and like to have incredibly fun and immersive experiences.

I think you couldn't spend nearly the same amount of money. But I think events like Hallloween Horror Nights prove there's a large market that need experiences. Nothing on the scale of a massive standalone park. But smaller one...? I'm just wayyyyyy blue sky thinking aloud.

HHN is a good example. The success of Tin Roof/Yard House, Pointe Orlando and even Player 1 are another. Never lose sight of the fact Church St. Station was the #4 attraction in Florida in its heyday, and even Pleasure Island made a profit years after the suits did all they could to kill it.

A theme park/CityWalk hybrid--another instance where I'm not entirely sure myself what all that would entail--so close to OCCC would be another game-changer in Orlando.

The market is not large enough. HHN works because it is a limited run. Teens, college age students, single people, and adults without kids doesn't make up that whole crowd. Many parents go and are able to get a babysitter.

Yes, and they would get a sitter to go to PI throughout the year, as well. I don't think the HHN crowd would turn down a fun event that caters to them just because it's not October.

There is not a year round group of people to cater to. Too many tourists are coming as a family and not enough non-children people to support it.

I disagree. Plenty of travelers to Orlando are kid-free adults. Convention-goers, honeymooners, retirees. And even those with kids often have a relative along who will watch them for a night. Throw in the explosion of young professionals living in SW Orange, and maybe a couple buses from the second largest university in the country, there is a huge market that is currently underserved. Do a bar crawl along I-Drive on a weekend night and check out the crowds, especially in convention season.

HHN is a good example. The success of Tin Roof/Yard House, Pointe Orlando and even Player 1 are another. Never lose sight of the fact Church St. Station was the #4 attraction in Florida in its heyday, and even Pleasure Island made a profit years after the suits did all they could to kill it.

A theme park/CityWalk hybrid--another instance where I'm not entirely sure myself what all that would entail--so close to OCCC would be another game-changer in Orlando.
Yes, but again, HHN, PI and clubbing downtown are/were all things that young people set aside money for to have fun a few hours on maybe a few days a month (I know this well as I do it :lol:)

A park based on this math would need to be very small and a boutique park.

I disagree. Plenty of travelers to Orlando are kid-free adults. Convention-goers, honeymooners, retirees. And even those with kids often have a relative along who will watch them for a night. Throw in the explosion of young professionals living in SW Orange, and maybe a couple buses from the second largest university in the country, there is a huge market that is currently underserved. Do a bar crawl along I-Drive on a weekend night and check out the crowds, especially in convention season.

It really depends on how you define a more adult park. A park for everybody attracts everybody but an adult park will cut your potential audience in half.

Keep in mind someone said that people got sitters for PI. The amount of how's you spend at HHN or PI is a lot less then at a full day park. It is much harder unless you have family in town to get a sitter for an entire day. I just don't think it would work. Also do you know how poor most college students are?

Reactions: Mike S and Nick
Keep in mind someone said that people got sitters for PI. The amount of how's you spend at HHN or PI is a lot less then at a full day park. It is much harder unless you have family in town to get a sitter for an entire day. I just don't think it would work. Also do you know how poor most college students are?
Yup, many college students don't even have jobs and just focus on school. Many can't get jobs. And most that have jobs are getting paid very little. Even those with degrees have a tough time finding a job in their field that pays well.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
I wouldn't oppose an adult park truth be told but it's going to be so marginally more adult than say Kong that it's just not worth it.

Out of interest, what would everybody say is the most adult park in Orlando? I'd say I'm torn between EPCOT and IOA but even then, most of them will accommodate kids no problem.

I strongly think that using Hayao Miyazaki's work would set them on another level already if they want Disney Sea level immersion and it would easily set the level high for any other theme park if they could successfully execute certain things. Plus all his films would make excellent dark/family/thrill ride hybrids. I'm thinking particularly of the Spirited Away Spa Resort for spirits. But more in the spoiler. The good part that even if Comcast did purchase...they could easily use it in all the other parks like Singapore, Beijing, Korea and Japan because his films are overly popular there and Disney will be not happy because they have been trying to get theme park rights for over 10 years. But seriously those Irish animated films would be a great win for Comcast as well to use in the park.

MV5BMTQyNDkzNjg3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE5ODYzMzE@._V1_.jpg

castle-in-the-sky-movie-image.jpg

`
giphy.gif

giphy-2.gif

I strongly think that using Hayao Miyazaki's work would set them on another level already if they want Disney Sea level immersion and it would easily set the level high for any other theme park if they could successfully execute certain things. Plus all his films would make excellent dark/family/thrill ride hybrids. I'm thinking particularly of the Spirited Away Spa Resort for spirits. But more in the spoiler. The good part that even if Comcast did purchase...they could easily use it in all the other parks like Singapore, Beijing, Korea and Japan because his films are overly popular there and Disney will be not happy because they have been trying to get theme park rights for over 10 years. But seriously those Irish animated films would be a great win for Comcast as well to use in the park.

MV5BMTQyNDkzNjg3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE5ODYzMzE@._V1_.jpg

castle-in-the-sky-movie-image.jpg

`
giphy.gif

giphy-2.gif

Isn't Studio Ghibli in contract by Disney? Because if that's the case, I can not see them getting Ghibli. Also taking count of the films they've distributed.

As I said, Kubo can be a really good chance to do something amazing, in art; design, and a story-telling experience within itself. If theres an animation film to look on, either SLOP or Kubo; i'd be VERY interested in Kubo..

Reactions: awhen
Isn't Studio Ghibli in contract by Disney? Because if that's the case, I can not see them getting Ghibli. Also taking count of the films they've distributed.

As I said, Kubo can be a really good chance to do something amazing, in art; design, and a story-telling experience within itself. If theres an animation film to look on, either SLOP or Kubo; i'd be VERY interested in Kubo..

Universal shares distribution of the last three Studio Ghibli films with Gkids so I think that contract has dissolved. I'm looking forward to Kubo but it seems to lack something that I can see easily translate into theme parks

Studio Ghibli would make more sense as a 3rd gate for Tokyo Disney, with their history and all. Laika has the theme park aesthetic - at least in Coraline.

As far as the 3rd gate, there're so many directions they could go.

Zelda is probably the only sure thing (and even that could possibly be a Lost Continent/Toon Lagoon replacement or use the MIB/Springfield expansion pad) for a 3rd gate.

Exciting times ahead!

It really depends on how you define a more adult park. A park for everybody attracts everybody but an adult park will cut your potential audience in half.

I'm an adult but I would have no interest in an "adult" park. Not my cup of tea.

Tokyo Disney Sea was specifically developed to be a more adult-oriented park.

On the topic of Studio Ghibli, I'd absolutely love to see that in a theme park. However, not a chance in hades that it ever opens outside of USJ or TDR well in advance. Only if it's an unbelievable hit would it ever get cloned Stateside.

Ghibli also has their own museum in Tokyo, not sure how eager they are to license out, although the old guard has mostly vacated the company.

Tokyo Disney Sea was specifically developed to be a more adult-oriented park.

On the topic of Studio Ghibli, I'd absolutely love to see that in a theme park. However, not a chance in hades that it ever opens outside of USJ or TDR well in advance. Only if it's an unbelievable hit would it ever get cloned Stateside.

Ghibli also has their own museum in Tokyo, not sure how eager they are to license out, although the old guard has mostly vacated the company.
I meant a park that's like HHN level "adult" like what others were suggesting. I'd have absolutely no interest.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I meant a park that's like HHN level "adult" like what others were suggesting. I'd have absolutely no interest.

Oh, clearly I had no interest either as my eyes glazed over as I skimmed past those posts. :lol:

Universal still hasn't really nailed the 'for every demo' crowd in the same way the Castle parks have, so maybe that would be a better focus.

Reactions: Mike S
Oh, clearly I had no interest either as my eyes glazed over as I skimmed past those posts. :lol:

Universal still hasn't really nailed the 'for every demo' crowd in the same way the Castle parks have, so maybe that would be a better focus.
I think a hub/spoke park that is similar to TDS is their best way to go for a 3rd gate. Should satisfy everyone.

Reactions: IzzyB and Mike S
A park based on this math would need to be very small and a boutique park.
Absolutely. I already said this...and I feel as if it were attached a larger property/prescence it would be a hit.
A park for "everybody" is a park for families. What do people complain about other than screens and 3D at Uni? That there isn't enough for families.

I would love a park that did not give two f's about the Disney dollar and didn't mind not catering to the lowest age.
I think you're ridiculously small minded in thinking that College kids would be th only demographic.

I'm 25 years old making a very decent living with disposable income and a lot of vacation time - as are a LOT of my friends.

I hate bringing it up bc I would like a different kind of experience but look at Vegas. There are a LOT of people without kids with a LOT of money to burn.

Another example is music festivals. There's a sold out music festival almost every other weekend in America. Thwsw things are not cheap and many are HIGHLY immersive.
I wouldn't oppose an adult park truth be told but it's going to be so marginally more adult than say Kong that it's just not worth it.

Out of interest, what would everybody say is the most adult park in Orlando? I'd say I'm torn between EPCOT and IOA but even then, most of them will accommodate kids no problem.
Kong's intensit will be neutered, due to families, so there is a problem.
HHN was just the easiest demographic target to mention because I admittedly was low on ideas for what could go in a park and was simply totally blue sky.

And maybe they should not try to nail it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I never said college would be the only demographic. I am saying that you are hugely limiting the pool of people who would go and in each age range that you target there is a large chunk that can't afford it. You may be lucky as I was when I was 24 and just like you I had a lot of friends who were just as lucky as me. However, as I grew up I became to realize I was lucky and the majority of 24 year olds didn't make the kind of money I did. The reason that even every single park out there tries to cater to families is because limiting your pool of people will doom you. Vegas works because it caters to business people along with elderly too. Many people with older kids go to vegas. I don't know that the same demo would want an adult park. I would think they would travel to Orlando with their whole family and they may stick to the normal format. It is a huge risk and not one I see any company taking.

Reactions: Mike S
I don't think Universal has ever indicated they wanted to be a Disney Magic Kingdom type park. Universal kind of does their own thing and it's proving to be quite successful, especially in the per guest spending category, and since revenue is the name of the game in business, that may well be the best way to go......But I do think an adult only park limits you too much. The Universal way of aiming for teen/adults and throwing in a few family rides is working quite well. I think they'll stick to that and maybe just tweek the family ride category a little by adding a few more attractions. But certainly not a Disney castle park mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike S and IzzyB
Status
Not open for further replies.