Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So..as I've stated in the past; if this film Is successful; I hope to god that they can plan something for it in the third gate.

The more this film gets clips, and photos; the more my excitement goes for this. As its one of those attractions that, if you do it right; can be a great E-Ticket, in just the style and asthetic.

So..as I've stated in the past; if this film Is successful; I hope to god that they can plan something for it in the third gate.The more this film gets clips, and photos; the more my excitement goes for this. As its one of those attractions that, if you do it right; can be a great E-Ticket, in just the style and asthetic.

Is this merely distributed by Universal or were they involved in its creation too? It seems to have a gravitas and depth of story that I wouldn't expect in an animated film by Uni.

Is this merely distributed by Universal or were they involved in its creation too? It seems to have a gravitas and depth of story that I wouldn't expect in an animated film by Uni.

If i'm not mistaken; Focus is apart of the Universal umbrella, and as is Lakia; so I would say maybe both in a way?

Correct...Laika really enjoys their partnership with Universal even though after this film comes out they only have two films left with their deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lakia and Universal are already talking about increasing it..(and i'll correct myself here, Lakia is the Production Company but Focus is the distributor. Focus though, is under the parent company of NBCUniversal, so theres that.)

Back to the third gate talk..this is what i'm going to guess,

~ Total immersion through most of the park
~ Highly themed environments, on par with Disneysea
~ IPs are at large, but maybe a few originals can be placed for the factor of creativity
~ Hotel connected with the park itself, ala; USB

If I was guessing, I would say those I wouldn't be a damned bit surprised.

Reactions: Mad Dog
UC may be more creative than that, but is that what the public wants? Or if you have enough beloved IP will the public show up anyway?

I think a level of fatigue will set in no matter. For the record, I think this is a more immediate issue for EPCOT and AK, no matter how Pandora turns out.

Boredom and curiosity mixed tonight to create the following. I threw some very simple 3D SketchUp shapes into Google Earth to get an idea of what kind of views we'd be getting from the new plot towards the proposed Polercoaster and iSquare mall. For all of this, I used a height of 508 feet for the Polercoaster and 471 feet for iSquare (best estimates my quick online search found). For reference, the red "walls/buildings" are 69 feet tall and the yellow "walls/buildings" are 102 feet.

Consider the first image is you standing at the north part of the property looking northwest. As you can see, with enough tall theming and buildings, easy to hide. But....

ground%20view.jpg

.... consider the following image from standing closer to Destination Parkway. The competitors' projects are still in view and you'd pretty much need to blanket the entire property with visual obstructions to prevent random sight lines to them from appearing.

ground%20far.jpg

Finally, an aerial for reference:

air%20view.jpg

Now I really understand why "Save Our Orange County Community" (aka Universal) fought Skyplex.

Reactions: imaki
Las Vegas?
No. Because Vegas is Vegas. I don't think you can (nor do I think you should) try to emulate Vegas.

I honestly am just talking aloud and don't have any concrete examples at the moment.
That's far too narrow-minded if they want to make money
I disagree. I think there's a large untapped market when it comes to single or older adults with disposable income and like to have incredibly fun and immersive experiences.

I think you couldn't spend nearly the same amount of money. But I think events like Hallloween Horror Nights prove there's a large market that need experiences. Nothing on the scale of a massive standalone park. But smaller one...? I'm just wayyyyyy blue sky thinking aloud.

Reactions: SeventyOne
How did you get the google earth and sketchup to sync on height?
If you set the "Geo-location" in Sketchup, you can load a piece of imagery from google earth and work on top of it. When you do this, it georeferences your models to the google earth coordinate system. Then when you export a model to g.e., it drops right into place at the proper scale. I encourage others to create better models and views than I did with these steps. Especially artistically!

IP's are over rated, they're simple metrics like SCREENZ or AAs. Deal with it.

I eagerly await Universal building that convention resorts and space those idiots propose.

I disagree. I think there's a large untapped market when it comes to single or older adults with disposable income and like to have incredibly fun and immersive experiences.

I think you couldn't spend nearly the same amount of money. But I think events like Hallloween Horror Nights prove there's a large market that need experiences. Nothing on the scale of a massive standalone park. But smaller one...? I'm just wayyyyyy blue sky thinking aloud.

The market is not large enough. HHN works because it is a limited run. Teens, college age students, single people, and adults without kids doesn't make up that whole crowd. Many parents go and are able to get a babysitter. Teens and college age kids are not rolling in money. All of this works well for HHN because people know it is coming and plan for it. But to have a park dedicated to the same concepts would never work. There is not a year round group of people to cater to. Too many tourists are coming as a family and not enough non-children people to support it. And even at that the majority for non-families that do come don't mind being around kids or feeling like a kid because they know they eventually want kids.

Again, yes, HHN works but it works because it is only available a short period of time. A year round HHN would not be able to sustain itself.

If I was universal, I would create a park full of niche things. I mean its easy to go for whats is easily popular but then its easy to mess up by not meeting people's expectation due to the popularity of it. However, focusing on IPs that only a small sect of people love, you have a lot more leeway and presenting the park in the old 1950s era Hollywood manner

I would break it down in Horror (Tales from the crypt, Universal Monsters, Hitchcock and other masters of horror, and I would keep it focused on old school horror none of this new stuff), Anime and Animation (Universal distributes a lot of really unique animated films with very disney like environments with super deep stories like Song of the Sea, The Secret of Kells, The Prophet, then all the Laika stuff. I would use those different IPs in the park. Also with Universal getting Nintendo, I would petition for Universal to get the biggest win that would make Lassetter and Co angry to another level and get Studio Ghibli theme park rights, also Universal owns a bunch of animes already so why not use them) A cult film area where they are represented, this is for all those films who everyone is ashamed to admit they liked ranging from the neverending story, labyrinth, live in park rocky horror,) Asian film area where you have godzilla, and chinese martial arts films represented, and lastly a true western area that puts frontierland to shame.

If I was universal, I would create a park full of niche things. I mean its easy to go for whats is easily popular but then its easy to mess up by not meeting people's expectation due to the popularity of it. However, focusing on IPs that only a small sect of people love, you have a lot more leeway and presenting the park in the old 1950s era Hollywood manner

I would break it down in Horror (Tales from the crypt, Universal Monsters, Hitchcock and other masters of horror, and I would keep it focused on old school horror none of this new stuff), Anime and Animation (Universal distributes a lot of really unique animated films with very disney like environments with super deep stories like Song of the Sea, The Secret of Kells, The Prophet, then all the Laika stuff. I would use those different IPs in the park. Also with Universal getting Nintendo, I would petition for Universal to get the biggest win that would make Lassetter and Co angry to another level and get Studio Ghibli theme park rights, also Universal owns a bunch of animes already so why not use them) A cult film area where they are represented, this is for all those films who everyone is ashamed to admit they liked ranging from the neverending story, labyrinth, live in park rocky horror,) Asian film area where you have godzilla, and chinese martial arts films represented, and lastly a true western area that puts frontierland to shame.

I can never see that happening. They would never make their money back.

As much as I hate rides having to be based on a popular IP, it's what makes the most money.

Reactions: youhow2 and Mike S
The point of a blue sky thread is for me to openly BLUE SKY without folks telling me I'm wrong or that it would "never work." I already know this. That's why I'm posting it inside of a BLUE SKY thread.

Yes. Teens and College kids don't have disposable income. Or do they? Do they have their parents money.

You have a huge, large percent of the population with money to burn and ZERO intent on having children or a family.

Sure, it couldn't be on the massive scale of Universal or Disney but I think it's antequated to assume and believe that Theme Parks are specifically for Familes / Those who want families.

I want to walk through Diago Alley as much as I want to eat/drink at Merlotte's/Fangtasia or walk around a ship from Aliens or see a live "This is the End" stage stunt show.

This is BLUE SKY. Quit raining on my parade, Obama.

Reactions: Hockeyman55
Do we think that the monorail will be like HE, with screens projecting landscapes or will they leave it open and potentially show everyone iDrive and tourist trap areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.