Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this is being argued. :lol:
Zero chance. Zero.

If I haven't heard of it- it isn't going into either WDW or UOR unless it's an original attraction.
Does that make me the authority? No- but considering every attraction they've added at either park for the last 30 years I, and the general public, at least have a premise of is a pretty good track record.
Take Fallon or doctor who- I've never seen either show or know much about them but I've at least heard of them.
Ni No Koni? Hilarious.

Last edited:
Same reason why we likely won't see Metroid in the parks either. Though that could have a chance, however small (and not a land), just due to the fact they already have Nintendo.

The more I think about park number four, the more I hope we see Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, and Star Trek included in the park...but I'm sure it'll be Illumination, Dreamworks, and Harry Potter related stuff instead.

Personally, I'd like to see Uni really take a serious crack at going non-IP for once in their parks...they initially attempted it at IOA, but even then only shoehorned in a small medieval/Greek mythology styled area in the Lost Continent. Big coasters, a stunt show, and a special effects walk through was ok...but with the big pockets Comcast has, i expect to see more stuff on the level of Tokyo Disneysea.

The more I think about park number four, the more I hope we see Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, and Star Trek included in the park...but I'm sure it'll be Illumination, Dreamworks, and Harry Potter related stuff instead.

Personally, I'd like to see Uni really take a serious crack at going non-IP for once in their parks...they initially attempted it at IOA, but even then only shoehorned in a small medieval/Greek mythology styled area in the Lost Continent. Big coasters, a stunt show, and a special effects walk through was ok...but with the big pockets Comcast has, i expect to see more stuff on the level of Tokyo Disneysea.

I think the days of non IP lands are long gone.

I think the days of non IP lands are long gone.
Yep. I'm hoping for a sci fi area and a classic horror section, but both will be based on IPs regarding those themes if they happen rather than Uni creating some sci fi theming for the land. HHN is the only thing I see Uni creating original ip for at this point

And Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, although that one was featured in an amazing, high quality movie...but after it got build.

I wouldn't include Rockit in there, as it does use licensed music.

I wouldn't count Volcano Bay, because the entire park itself centers around the theme.

To be perfectly honest, the only ones I would count are Disaster; Poseidon's Fury; and Sinbad. Not exactly good attractions to list off of now..

I initially said "areas," and in the context of the next park areas are more important than rides. Rides are vital, but where the rides are located is what establishes the difference between a theme park and an amusement park. Six Flags has good rides but a sub-par setting. That's why they're not theme parks. But since we're arguing semantics on this:

Universal has created three non-IP areas:
Lost Continent
Port of Entry
Volcano Bay
If you really want to nit-pick "Production Central" is a non-IP area, but it's an open hub. Oooh.

Not counting the rides at VB (which are established by the park's non-IP theme), they have created "five" non-IP attractions:
Poseiden's Fury 1.0 and 2.0
Flying Unicorn (an exposed steel coaster with a pretty loading area)
Disaster (which was a retheme of an IP by creating parody IPs)
Rip Ride Rocket (an exposed steel coaster that is "themed" in that it's colors are coordinated)

There are "non-IP" of shows of note-
Wild Wild West (an effective, if straight forward, stunt show)
Sinbad (an effective, if straight forward, stunt show based on a public domain IP)
Monster Make-Up (an effective special effects show that showcases IPs)

My point stands. We have seen very little "non-IP" work n Universal's history. While they've proven they can probably create some fascinating stuff if the reins are removed, to talk like they have a deep history of wildly creative ideas is really disingenuous. Do you REALLY want to draw attention to Rip Ride Rocket as an example of their non-IP abilities?

I wouldn't include Rockit in there, as it does use licensed music.

I wouldn't count Volcano Bay, because the entire park itself centers around the theme.

To be perfectly honest, the only ones I would count are Disaster; Poseidon's Fury; and Sinbad. Not exactly good attractions to list off of now..
I initially said "areas," and in the context of the next park areas are more important than rides. Rides are vital, but where the rides are located is what establishes the difference between a theme park and an amusement park. Six Flags has good rides but a sub-par setting. That's why they're not theme parks. But since we're arguing semantics on this:

Universal has created three non-IP areas:
Lost Continent
Port of Entry
Volcano Bay
If you really want to nit-pick "Production Central" is a non-IP area, but it's an open hub. Oooh.

Not counting the rides at VB (which are established by the park's non-IP theme), they have created "five" non-IP attractions:
Poseiden's Fury 1.0 and 2.0
Flying Unicorn (an exposed steel coaster with a pretty loading area)
Disaster (which was a retheme of an IP by creating parody IPs)
Rip Ride Rocket (an exposed steel coaster that is "themed" in that it's colors are coordinated)

There are "non-IP" of shows of note-
Wild Wild West (an effective, if straight forward, stunt show)
Sinbad (an effective, if straight forward, stunt show based on a public domain IP)
Monster Make-Up (an effective special effects show that showcases IPs)

My point stands. We have seen very little "non-IP" work n Universal's history. While they've proven they can probably create some fascinating stuff if the reins are removed, to talk like they have a deep history of wildly creative ideas is really disingenuous. Do you REALLY want to draw attention to Rip Ride Rocket as an example of their non-IP abilities?

Arguing the semantics of ride vs area is kinda pointless in the context of this thread. As we are talking about the 4th park, it is going to be built by Comcast era Universal. The only non-IP thing they've done is VB. The rest are all pre-Comcast.

Port of Entry and Lost Continent are probably two of my most favorite areas in UOR. There's something about them that just feels more special to me with them being completely original, and they really help to make IOA what it is.

I know it is very unlikely we will get anything original in the 4th park but I really hope we do, I hope at least that they leave Lost Continent alone.

Gonna throw out another concept/idea I've been thinking about: does anyone remember the early concept for IOA being "Cartoon World," which would have just focused on DC Comics, Looney Tunes, and Seuss? While obviously I think doing a park based on that narrow of a range of IP would be a bad idea, it does make me think. What if for Gate 3, instead of having 6-7 smaller lands, there's only 4 or so? And they could each be larger, feature more subsections and such, and be WWoHP-level immersive. Basically IoA on steroids.

I think Nintendo and DreamWorks can already do that; Both have a huge amount of IPs that could mix together fairly well in huge, family friendly lands. Other IPs that could work for this treatment are Jurassic World (imagine a true recreation of the park, featuring a huge scale and a large amount of attractions rather than the simple one we have now), and Middle-Earth (if they can get the rights somehow, this IP would truly deserve a huge land).

What does everyone else think of this idea? I think WWoHP being split across parks is a very special and interesting thing, but I personally would love to see what UC could do if they essentially built the Diagon and Hogsmeade-esque lands together in one huge, immersive environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.