Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to Train Your Dragons (Universal's IP) and Zelda (agreement with Nintendo) are somewhat similar to LOTR in setting etc. that there's no real reason for Universal to pay a huge rights fee to use LOTR. I'd guess it's close to 100% that we'll see both Dragon & Zelda in one or two of the parks. Dragons, especially, is just about pure profit.

The worst performing of the Hobbit/LotR movies did better than the best of the HTTYD movies. By a lot. The IP's you quoted are both animated. They are not comparable to the Tolkien properties. LotR is probably the last of the non-accounted for IP's that even comparable to the HP/SW level. Obviously price matters, but if Uni could get the rights, they'd be putting it the parks.

The worst performing of the Hobbit/LotR movies did better than the best of the HTTYD movies. By a lot. The IP's you quoted are both animated. They are not comparable to the Tolkien properties. LotR is probably the last of the non-accounted for IP's that even comparable to the HP/SW level. Obviously price matters, but if Uni could get the rights, they'd be putting it the parks.
My post really had nothing to do with the performance of the movies. LOTR, of course, by far, was the more popular movies. What I'm referring to is the type of Fantasy setting which, though different in story, is very similar.

Can’t wait for the Island of Berk land. People keep posting in the FB group replace Shrek with HTTYD and it’s just like come on people. Think much bigger.

I just don’t think enough people have seen the movie series to be able to truly understand its world building potential. It deserves more than a motion theater reskin, it needs to have an E-Ticket dark ride with John Powell’s score soaring in the background.

I'm curious, have you seen the Sci-Fi area from Universal Singapore? I think that's the kind of thing you're thinking of. It seems to me like Universal is straying away from generic "Egypt" or "Sci-Fi" lands and toward areas like DA or Springfield, immersive lands based on a single IP. I don't even think that BTTF warrants a land like that (please don't hurt me) and I think that's the best Sci-Fi IP Universal has in their own portfolio, although the fanboy in me would love to see a Pacific Rim area.
Wait, who has the rights for Pacif Rim? Wikipedia doesn't have it in neither Waner or Universal's ip list(I would guess it's Warner's tho).

But please, someone has to give creative control for a theme park land in the hands of Del Toro, in a similar way they gave JK.
That would be the most best theme park land ever. Like anything Del Toro does, it would be aesthetically beautiful, and add the fact that he is a theme park fan (although I've only seen things of him liking Disney), it could be perfect.

Wait, who has the rights for Pacif Rim? Wikipedia doesn't have it in neither Waner or Universal's ip list(I would guess it's Warner's tho).

But please, someone has to give creative control for a theme park land in the hands of Del Toro, in a similar way they gave JK.
That would be the most best theme park land ever. Like anything Del Toro does, it would be aesthetically beautiful, and add the fact that he is a theme park fan (although I've only seen things of him liking Disney), it could be perfect.

Looks like Universal did distribution for Uprising but the first was done by WB. So I'm not entirely sure how that all works, especially considering that it was Legendary that produced it. But yes please :eat: give me a Del Toro produced land!

I'm pretty sure Comcast/Universal would rather just do Voltron which is similar enough to Pacific Rim and promote an IP they fully own and has pushed a good amount of merch due to the netflix show than Pacific Rim which underperformed.

I'm pretty sure Comcast/Universal would rather just do Voltron which is similar enough to Pacific Rim and promote an IP they fully own and has pushed a good amount of merch due to the netflix show than Pacific Rim which underperformed.
Does Voltron have Del Toro's hand? I don't think so. :p

As much as I would LOVE a LOTR land I just can't see it selling a lot of merchandise or food like HP or SNW.

Dragons makes more sense because it is an owned IP, has the potential to shift a lot of toys/plushes etc and it's more family friendly.

As much as I would LOVE a LOTR land I just can't see it selling a lot of merchandise or food like HP or SNW.

Dragons makes more sense because it is an owned IP, has the potential to shift a lot of toys/plushes etc and it's more family friendly.
Yeah, all I can see of LoTR merchandise is swords, jewelry, maps and books, and maybe some dolls, T-shirts, etc.

Yeah, all I can see of LoTR merchandise is swords, jewelry, maps and books, and maybe some dolls, T-shirts, etc.

LOL
Think you may have slightly misread my post - I didn't say I couldn't see what they could sell, I just don't think it would be anywhere near as popular as Dragons, Potter or Nintendo. It just doesn't have the same entire family appeal that those franchises have, but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
LOL
Think you may have slightly misread my post - I didn't say I couldn't see what they could sell, I just don't think it would be anywhere near as popular as Dragons, Potter or Nintendo. It just doesn't have the same entire family appeal that those franchises have, but thats just my opinion.
I think you are wrong. Both the movies and books have a ton of food in them that are specifically for that world and would do great in a theme park as do the many taverns written about. There are items with iconical status, being swords (light up and non), canes, rings, Hobbit feet and more. It would be pure gold for a theme park. The books are still in the top 10 of best sold books world wide.

How to Train Your Dragons (Universal's IP) and Zelda (agreement with Nintendo) are somewhat similar to LOTR in setting etc. that there's no real reason for Universal to pay a huge rights fee to use LOTR. I'd guess it's close to 100% that we'll see both Dragon & Zelda in one or two of the parks. Dragons, especially, is just about pure profit.
What you feel about LOTR is what I feel about Zelda. I don’t really care to have Nintendo overdose in the parks. To be honest SNW is enough and shouldn’t spread to other parks just like Fantastic Beasts doesn’t deserve a world.

LOL
Oh, I was agreeing with you... Swords aren't really family friendly and the rest is already available as merchandise online and in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.