Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 501 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know originally JK Rowling personally hyped that the schools around the world would be a big part of Fantastic Beasts which didn't exactly show in the movies. However, I think UC doing another version of NYC would be so reductive when they are so many environments and other schools/countries they could do and we haven't seen UC create products off of such as the school in Brazil which is hidden completely in a rainforest surrounding by unique and crazy creatures (Castelobruxo), Uagadou, the school in Africa hidden in a mountain which the main big thing is they do magic without wands and all can shape shift, Mahouotokoro with their color changing robes based on skill level and their high level quidditch due to the fact the school is on a freaking storm cloud. etc. There are so many more stories that would provide something so new that I don't think HP NY would even really do.

Also a big reason I'm for other locations is because if you read up on Ilvermorny, the school is really boring compared to the others. There is nothing that makes it really special outside of being the American school

I mean, I think "Hey American Harry Potter fans, come to *your* school" is a way bigger draw than any of the other options.

Tweak your MCUSA idea so it involves Floo-ing or Portkey-ing into the London MOM for some of the ride and I'm on board with all of the rest of this.

In my blue sky MoM is still going to go into USF at some point. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the idea of the original MoM going anywhere besides USF

Also a big reason I'm for other locations is because if you read up on Ilvermorny, the school is really boring compared to the others. There is nothing that makes it really special outside of being the American school

Even so, I think a lot of American kids would like to see where they'd go to school if they were witches or wizards.

In my blue sky MoM is still going to go into USF at some point.

That would certainly be my preferred option, as well.

I really want a kind of spooky dark ride through the Department of Mysteries. Lots of weirdness from that chapter of ORDER OF THE PHOENIX that didn't make it into the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been pondering the Fantastic Beasts land, and how more and more it sounds like a bad idea. While I think there can be good rides based off of it, I still don't think the overall world or saga connects with people. I think a ride through Newt's suitcase could still do gangbusters. But what do people love most about Potter? The school. Send them back to the school. So if I was building a Potter land for FW, I would build...

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Across the Pond
  • Subland A: Wizarding New York
    • This land would be the "Fantastic Beasts" portion of the experience. It would be themed similar to the first Fantastic Beasts film. Jacob's bakery would be here, as well as the Wizard Speakeasy bar. The main ride would be a ride based around Newt trying to get his case back from the MCUSA. We'd tour MCUSA in the queue before jumping in a ride vehicle. We'd tour some more of the restricted wings of MCUSA in search of the case, before escaping with it. The ride ends with a tour through the case.
  • Subland B: Ilvermorny School
    • In the forests of New England, a granite castle stands. This is Ilvermorny, the American School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Here we would have a small village around the school featuring American Wizarding Goods and the like. In the woods, a small walkthrough attraction featuring American Magical Creatures would take place. The school's "great hall" would be the land's main restaurant. The main ride would be a thrilling dark ride through the school during a Death Eater attack. Why would Death Eaters be attacking Ilvermorny? Well because that's where Salazar Slytherin's wand is buried!
I realize this won't happen, but I think it could be the best of both worlds. Still features FB stuff as I'm sure WB wants that to be featured, but also gives half of the world a more "original" feel, and features a location we'd probably never see otherwise.
To me that’s why they would wait until the saga is complete so the world building process could be more simpler. The second movie didn’t get that good of a reception so instead forcing it into the park wait to see how the fans respond to the remaining movies.

To me that’s why they would wait until the saga is complete so the world building process could be more simpler. The second movie didn’t get that good of a reception so instead forcing it into the park wait to see how the fans respond to the remaining movies.

You can't really "wait" that long when you have a deadline to hit, though

Reactions: HPFred
I like the idea of Ilvermorny, especially because it's not something we will probably ever see on screen. Something that would be an absolutely unique, brand-new experience.

As far as branching out from that, I don't know what Japan's space is like, but I believe there's a wizarding school there as well. They could get their own school too.

Don’t you think as of right now Nintendo, DreamWorks and Classic Monsters are more likely as top front runner for themed worlds over FB? As to what OrlLover was saying I think they should wait until the saga is complete and perhaps think about adding in another world till FB series is finished. Since we don’t know what the reception will be like from the audience who watched the films.

Don’t you think as of right now Nintendo, DreamWorks and Classic Monsters are more likely as top front runner for themed worlds over FB? As to what OrlLover was saying I think they should wait until the saga is complete and perhaps think about adding in another world till FB series is finished. Since we don’t know what the reception will be like from the audience who watched the films.

I would think, if Fantastic Beasts is indeed coming (as it seems); they are working in-tandem with JKR & Warner, and the folks who manage the lore of Potter; to ensure it stays with the films while also being it's own entity.

It would make sense, and would allow Joe to have a hand in how Universal handles that corner of the Potter IP.

I think MACUSA and Newt's case is a safe bet regardless. I think the London MoM is the more popular option, but MACUSA being in the USA makes the distance between it and Diagon Alley easier to swallow. (Plus, floo powder/apparating can always throw us into the MoM if the plot deems it appropriate.) I'd imagine the briefcase would have full scale animatronics in it, which would be absolutely off the chain.

FB may not be the priority, but I'd be frankly shocked if it didn't show up in FW (even if it ends up snagging an expansion plot after launch later).

Well FB 3 is out in 2020. If it does much better I'd say it's a lock for the new park. If it does badly following the dissapointing takings of FB2 I can see Universal thinking twice about it.

I'd imagine, if the fabled Ministry attraction is coming for UFW in the form of Fantastic Beasts, it'd likely consist of the MACUSA, the United Kingdom Ministry Branch, and the French Ministry Branch (and the branch of the next country to be featured); via of Floo Powder.

Well FB 3 is out in 2020. If it does much better I'd say it's a lock for the new park. If it does badly following the dissapointing takings of FB2 I can see Universal thinking twice about it.

I'd assume if they are doing it, they made the call prior to the Town Hall meeting, considering that's where Universal Monsters and the initial UFW logo got leaked.

Heh, they could do the Brazilian School. Different look for sure. Students jumping line to get their food in the Great Hall. Mobs of students chanting magic spells in unison to disrupt the classroom instructors. Pushing people out of the way and pretending they don't understand. and so on ;):lol:

#KeepTheSecrets, but Cursed Child has a really cool lighting effect that makes the whole stage look like it's pulsing/wobbling (let's say the characters moved rapidly to a different location, so the surroundings need to "settle down"). Ridiculously simple effect, but could be really cool on transport for a MoM ride.

Reactions: kristenabelle

Everything I've been reading is that FB 3 is being delayed and not coming out until 2021.

Reactions: HPFred
Which is a sign isn’t it ??? I mean is this franchise really as popular as HP ??? A dedicated world at UFW it’s not deserving of but a mini land I’ll be fine with.

Honestly, I see at most two attractions: Ministry, and something else.

Similar to Diagon, albeit; but with differences in offerings around the entire area, interactive points, shopping/dining, and what-not.

If anything, I almost expect them to go similar to the lengths of Carkitt Market; fleshing something out to stand on it's own, and add to the Potter universe. Because, unlike Diagon and Hogsmeade..there isn't a defined location that they have to adhere towards. Even if it's like Paris, or New York; they can take it and do something that is completely unique and stands out.

Honestly, I see at most two attractions: Ministry, and something else.

Similar to Diagon, albeit; but with differences in offerings around the entire area, interactive points, shopping/dining, and what-not.

If anything, I almost expect them to go similar to the lengths of Carkitt Market; fleshing something out to stand on it's own, and add to the Potter universe.
I’m okay with that...I just don’t like redundancy. Yes FB is different however I feel like it’s still the HP universe just with different characters and settings.

Last edited:
I’m fine with that it’s just I’m not for redundancy. Yes FB is different however I feel like it’s still the HP universe just with different characters and settings.

And is that a bad thing?

I still haven't seen Grindlewald, so I'll stay away from that thought bubble until I see it; but I do love how FB introduced a new aspect to the universe. It doesn't have to relate to locations and settings that Harry, Ron, and Hermonie have experienced.

If Universal Creative, working with JK, David Yates/WB, and those involved with lorekeeping on Pottermore; they could work altogether to create a new moment in the Potterverse. Hell, they could even play into what Lucasfilm/WDI are doing, connecting Batuu to Episode's 8 & 9. But in this case, allowing something that can fit itself in with what Newt's journey is going to end towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.