Untouchable Attractions | Inside Universal Forums

Untouchable Attractions

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 20, 2009
South Florida
With the current rumors and some actual announcements of some major attractions being radically changed, like the Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy, the Great Movie Ride into a Mickey Mouse attraction, and the latest rumor though not as big of Wreck It Ralph replacing Stitch, it has me wondering if there are any attraction that are truly untouchable. And when I say untouchable I do not mean that they cannot be updated with new technology, scenes, effects, but that they would not lose their overall look and primary theme.

In the Magic Kingdom there are probably the most untouchable with attractions like its a small world, the Haunted Mansion, the Hall of Presidents, and the Mountain attractions not likely to ever change. A lot of other attractions could change at any point. Even something like Tom Sawyer's Island could change and we only have to look at Disneyland for that.

Epcot has really only two attractions that are fairly safe and those are Space Ship Earth and the American Adventure. All of the country pavilions are not likely to be changed but the attraction within certainly could.

Disney Hollywood Studios has nothing that is untouchable as even classics like the Tower of Terror and the reason for the entire park to exist the Great Movie Ride being under rumors of change.

Disney's Animal Kingdom both Kilamanjaro Safaris and Expedition Everest seem to be the most secure in their continued existence.

Universal Studios has maybe two attractions that may be on an untouchable list for now, those being E.T. and Men in Black. Both have not changed since they opened at the park, but Universal Studios Hollywood proved that at least one of those may not be safe.

At Sea World I would have thought that the Shamu Stadium would be untouchable but fallout from the film Blackfish as well as the discontinuation of the Orca breeding program means that it may not be long for this world.

So what attractions would you consider untouchable or which would you be the most upset if they were changed dramatically from their original theme or intent?

NOTHING lasts forever and any attraction could be removed or changed at any time. Now more than ever since Disney seems to be in a cost cutting/makeover mode trying to do it cheaper and faster. While many things seem to be "classics" that could never change, the truth is they can and they most likely will someday. Whether that is in the immediate future or in 40 years is another story. Tastes change and trends change. There are very few truly evergreen attractions and even those evolve over time. Pirates and Mansion have both been modified several times over their existence.

Let's see...
Besides the few you mentioned in MK, I would add Carousel of Progress (a Walt original, although it has and most likely will be upgraded again at some point), and the Enchanted Tiki Room which was thankfully reverted back to its original form from the "Under New Management" Iago abomination.
I agree with your 2 Epcot rides, although the current SSE ends rather abruptly and could use some plussing on the decent.
In DHS I see nothing that is truly "untouchable" anymore except for maybe Muppets 3D (Henson's last project). At this point the park has lost its mission so anything can be changed or rethemed.
In AK, the animal based attractions are the heart of the park so I don't see them changing or being removed and Everest is a keeper (even with the disco Yeti).
In USF and IOA Universal has clearly shown that they intend to innovate and invest in their parks regardless of nostalgia and have proven this with the removal of Jaws, Disaster (Earthquake), and the original Kong. I don't see any attraction that can be tagged as untouchable, maybe ET, but I see that as a strength of their organization. Their redo/upgrade to the Hulk shows they can improve an existing attraction and that may give them a case or argument for upgrading ET at some point.

NOTHING lasts forever and any attraction could be removed or changed at any time. Now more than ever since Disney seems to be in a cost cutting/makeover mode trying to do it cheaper and faster. While many things seem to be "classics" that could never change, the truth is they can and they most likely will someday. Whether that is in the immediate future or in 40 years is another story. Tastes change and trends change. There are very few truly evergreen attractions and even those evolve over time. Pirates and Mansion have both been modified several times over their existence.

If an attraction is replaced with something as equally creative, well executed, and well received then they should. I'm ok if they tear out Purates in DL if they replace it with something "better". Lots of my issues come down to replacements not being better.

Spaceship Earth is totally "touchable" according to Disney. They planned to gut it at one point for Time Racers. Disneyland thought Carousel of Progress was safe until they moved it to Florida. Small World was untouchable at DL until they added characters. There are no sacred cows in the business world, and this is a business we are talking about.

While it's nice to think about things as being untouchable due to sentimental feelings about them, they are all subject to change at the will of the company that owns them. Yes, we'd like to think that in the event they are replaced they will be replaced by something more creative and better, but that's not always a guarantee. Look at Maelstrom...

While it's nice to think about things as being untouchable due to sentimental feelings about them, they are all subject to change at the will of the company that owns them. Yes, we'd like to think that in the event they are replaced they will be replaced by something more creative and better, but that's not always a guarantee. Look at Maelstrom...

... and "The Seas with Nemo and Friends" and "Journey Into Your Imagination" and "Ellen's Energy Adventure"......

If an Untouchable attraction can be updated but the core of it is the same, then I think the only ones like that are the most basic.

MK - train, people mover, carousel, Dumbo, the mountains, Haunted Mansion
AK - Aminal walking trails
DHS - none
EPCOT - Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Living Seas main aquarium
US - MiB (personal bias)
IOA - carosuessel
Sea World - nothing (major future changes will leave nothing untouchable)

if anything the only untouchable rides would be the ones that run through the parks.So at mk tta is untouchable BC they would have to close or redirect traffic for multiple rides and shops.You got to remember that haunted mansion and pirates as well as progress has already been changed so they are not untouchable.

MK - Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, pretty much most of the park
Epcot - Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space, The Land pavilion, a handful of the pavilions in WS
HWS - Rock'N'Roller Coaster & Tower of Terror
AK - Too much to list
USO - MIB and ET
IOA - Marvel Super Hero Island (unless the contract with Marvel expires)
Sea World - Nothing

Everything comes to an end at some point, although, a few things tend to remain the same. The parks all cultivate personalities so to speak - if anything is untouchable, it is the image the parks create for themselves. Because of this, I think Disney has the princesses, the castles, and maybe Haunted Mansion, Small World and Pirates as untouchables, and possibly the monorail too. However, nothing is guaranteed anywhere. And I definitely don't know as anything at UOR is irreplaceable. I really do wish Potter could stay forever though, that's my personal untouchable. First theme park attraction to make me emotional and possibly only unless I end up creating attractions someday.

I don't know as I'd go as far as saying it might be quaint. I think of gentle rides as quaint. I can see it possibly getting outdated.
However I think quaint and outdated kind of come from a lack of upkeep. Look at ET, the age shows because it hasn't gotten a really extensive refurb in a long time if ever. Obviously time has to do with it too but an awesome attraction is an awesome attraction regardless of whether it's basis is outdated.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I don't know as I'd go as far as saying it might be quaint. I think of gentle rides as quaint. I can see it possibly getting outdated.
However I think quaint and outdated kind of come from a lack of upkeep. Look at ET, the age shows because it hasn't gotten a really extensive refurb in a long time if ever. Obviously time has to do with it too but an awesome attraction is an awesome attraction regardless of whether it's basis is outdated.
I'm assuming we have hover technology by then and ride real flying brooms. Just hope they have seat cushions.:)

Reactions: Frogki