Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

UO Plastic Annual Passes coming June 3

I've heard the old plastic passes were quite expensive to actually print, which along with being owned partially by GE is the reason why the plastic passes were phased out to begin with.
All i'm saying is from a bank with a credit card to a closer competitor in WDW, you don't have to pay for a new, plastic card; nevermind the paper cards they have now.

This is great news! Now I hope they can come up with a RFID "thingy" like Magic Bands by the time Volcano Bay opens. I want the convenience of not having to go to a locker every time I want to get something to eat or drink. I know some on here don't like the Magic Bands, but I think the technology is here to stay. Please just give us the option to get them if we want them.

This tech has existed for years at regional water parks. I used it way before MM+ so I'm sure they'll AT LEAST have the waterproof RFID bands that are already available elsewhere.

Plastic passes were phased out because UOR bought enough paper ticket stock to last generations.

I've been told UOR has no intentions of creating a MM+ like service, which includes bands, UOR profiles, assigned tickets, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great news! I have had to replace my pass many times over the years due to fading. I always wait til the end of the day when ticket booth and customer service lines are shortest.

I've heard the old plastic passes were quite expensive to actually print, which along with being owned partially by GE is the reason why the plastic passes were phased out to begin with.

No idea on the old ones. But the tech is easily accessible today and is offered to even small companies for gift cards and such. It's cheap, and in the quantities the Uni would be buying, they'd get them extremely cheap.

Hotels go through those cards like the are running water so I can't see those cards costing much.
Hotels also use reusable cards. Or at least most hotels do.

I have however heard that the new passes are going to be preprinted and not be printed on the spot like the old ones were. They'll also not have your picture on it so bring your photo ID folks.

No magnetic strip. Just barcodes. Which makes sense because the turnstiles can't read magnetic strips anyway, and I doubt universal is going to change their turnstiles just for their annual passholders.
Their turnstiles do need some updating though. Compared to SeaWorld and Disney, Universal's not only don't work or read your fingerprint half the time, but they seem ancient when in fact they were just replaced a few years ago.

My print always works everywhere, it just takes longer in Seaworld. On the other hand, I have had it in Seaworld where I scan my pass and the gate just opened without asking for a fingerprint.
They will do that when the lines get extremely long at the front. SW's gates are also a lot skinnier compared to Universals so that they can fit more in the smaller entrance. "The more you know"

Their turnstiles do need some updating though. Compared to SeaWorld and Disney, Universal's not only don't work or read your fingerprint half the time, but they seem ancient when in fact they were just replaced a few years ago.

Universal has some issues with the sun and the finger print reading. I never had an issue this last trip but some friends on multi day tickets and other random people did. Upgrading that technology wouldn't require total replacement of the infrastructure and still be compatible with old turnstiles.

I feel like they changed something with the finger print readers for some reason in the last several months. When they first replaced them they were very fast, but now they're as slow as SeaWorld's for me.

The biometric scanner isn't always the best, but I've noticed it varies from person to person as to how difficult it is to scan. People who typically have cold hands have a harder time in my experience.