UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

UO to discontinue Paper Park Maps

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This definitely stinks. I'd hope they will start selling charging cables somewhere in the park because I have experienced multiple times a friend having their battery completely drained during a park day or HHN night and not having a charger with them, and with this, not being able to check showtimes or anything like that thru the app would be a pain. Smaller issue but it is one I've seen multiple times.
My husband in the pre-show room of Bourne was over by the wall plugged in and charging his phone during the whole time we were in there. For sure need more charging areas.
I also think the Universal Orlando experience isn't necessarily great right now, but the absence of paper maps has little or nothing to do with that, and I think we'd be having this exact same conversation whether the park was running in high gear or the current state. As a person who attends less often, on a micro level, it's easy to criticize UO for the day to day guest experience, but on a macro level, they are overhauling Kidzone, IOA is (still) great, Epic Universe is shaping up to be a smash hit, there's a UK park in discussion, an HHN experience in Vegas under construction, and a small time park planned in Texas, a new coaster being built in USH, and two smash hit HHNs on both coasts (which is what I care about).

Given the level of investment in the parks, I am inclined to say that Universal isn't resting on their laurels like Disney has, so I don't think I'm giving them a pass or going easy on them, and I don't see a reason to be negative over this particular change.
I hear this a lot on here about Disney resting. But I haven't had Universal passes the entire time my son has been alive and before that. He is 6 now. Since the last time I was at Uni with AP there has been the 2 coasters at IOA added and F&F, Bourne and Fallon at Studios. In the meantime 4 rides have been removed and 4 shows (Disaster, Beetlejuice, Twister, PF, whatever dueling dragons was now called, Sinbad, Terminator and FF). I won't count the kids area since that will be like for like when it opens, but has been closed. So that is a net gain of 1 ride and a loss of 3 shows.

Since my son has been born Disney has added 7 rides (2 SW, 2 TS, Tron, rat, and the galaxy one) and removed 4? The one Galaxy replaced, that car show, disaster, and the Dino coaster. Am I wrong? Was more removed? I haven't been to Disney for a couple years. So that is a net gain of 3 rides and a loss of 1 show. Like kidzone I won't count splash since it is a like for like.

I will admit my memory is pretty shot, so I may be missing ones in both parks, so correct me if I am wrong on the add/removes in the last 6 years. Also, I didn't count Avatar, but that opened right before my son was born which really should be included in here since I didn't have Uni passes then either. That would be another 2 rides, with no losses.

100% Epic will be a huge game changer, I am just not seeing how Uni has done all these great things in the past 6 years and Disney nothing. Epic my fear is the are they able to handle a 3rd park. Because they do have a lot of customer service/staffing issues with just 2 parks.

Alright, so I might just be living on a different planet than everyone else - but how are people struggling with the Universal app?
I wouldn't say struggle. It is clunky compared to how other apps work. Filtering settings not staying, logging you out all the time, food ordering system took me forever, not saving my AP for food ordering, etc. These are all things that I don't see in other apps. I mean I order food on apps all the time and when I click order the confirmation number comes up within seconds. It took me minutes. Heck just getting my subtotal took forever to even click order.
As I mentioned earlier ,it appears WDW Disney is getting a lot of negative feedback from guests unhappy they need to use their phones so much in the parks for Genie, food etc.. They had put very heavy emphasis on phone food ordering, but when we went in April it seemed there were few people using mobile and most people were back to using the regular lines to order food. Let a guest enjoy their vacation and leave their phone in their room if they want without penalizing them for it.
I am not sure how Disney has been recently, but while they suggested online ordering, they didn't discourage or almost disallow you to walk up to the counter. I will say it was always much faster than going to counter at Disney and so I used online ordering all the time at Disney to avoid the lines. At Uni they absolutely discouraged me and said it would take WAY longer if I ordered at counter when there was NO ONE in line at counter. So Uni seems to be a lot more pushy/rude when it came to this.

See this I don't understand, because the app does provide accurate hours for red coconut even if there is an event. I've never had a problem with that. The AP thing is annoying but it's not a big deal and takes literally seconds to scan.
Unless you are in Leaky Cauldron with almost no lighting then scanning does not work :lmao:

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
To clear up the issue with the MiB/CitH ride system. Yes, the manufacturer is still out there making rides. They just don't make the MiB/CitH ride system anymore. And therefore don't make the parts for it. They do have a newer one that they use in MK. I am sure they would be happy to upgrade the older rides for Universal.

I heard from a team member that the UOR app was built in-house by amateurs that mostly copy and pasted code. Not sure how accurate that representation is but it would make sense

It's not so much that the maps are gone. It's really more about both Disney and Universal putting the onus on guests to carry and constantly use their phones in the parks to access the services and restaurants. It's kind of forcing guests to continue the rat race even if they would rather just relax on vacation and get away from that whole phone madness that society has become and often leads to a lesser real social experience. It's fine if the hardcore phone users want an app to use. Great for them. But it should be a level playing field for guests who would rather not have to use their phones. Back in 2021 Universal put heavy emphasis on that process, especially mobile ordering, and even eliminated maps for a short period, but abandoned it when the food ordering and lines became ridiculously complicated and long. As I mentioned earlier ,it appears WDW Disney is getting a lot of negative feedback from guests unhappy they need to use their phones so much in the parks for Genie, food etc.. They had put very heavy emphasis on phone food ordering, but when we went in April it seemed there were few people using mobile and most people were back to using the regular lines to order food. Let a guest enjoy their vacation and leave their phone in their room if they want without penalizing them for it.
So, I admit I have a hard time unplugging fully, even in places where you’re basically required to relax. I do wonder, though…if there was a Venn diagram of different types of theme park tourists, what is the overlap between first-time visitors (aka, those in most need of a map) and leisurely vacationers. My guess is that it’s pretty slim. Theme parks by design aren’t “relaxing” vacations for most folks, and if you’re there for your first time my guess is that your goal is to maximize your visit and get as much done as possible. If you’re there to relax, I imagine it’s because you’re on your fourth, fifth, sixth visit…and you probably know your way around by then.

Granted, I do get the issue with finding show times (for me, my issue with the app is getting dinner reservations) and not wanting to be buried in your phone regardless of how relaxed you are or not. But I do think the customers most in need of info from the app are the ones who sort of signed up for a more busy, commando-style trip.

So, I admit I have a hard time unplugging fully, even in places where you’re basically required to relax. I do wonder, though…if there was a Venn diagram of different types of theme park tourists, what is the overlap between first-time visitors (aka, those in most need of a map) and leisurely vacationers. My guess is that it’s pretty slim. Theme parks by design aren’t “relaxing” vacations for most folks, and if you’re there for your first time my guess is that your goal is to maximize your visit and get as much done as possible. If you’re there to relax, I imagine it’s because you’re on your fourth, fifth, sixth visit…and you probably know your way around by then.

Granted, I do get the issue with finding show times (for me, my issue with the app is getting dinner reservations) and not wanting to be buried in your phone regardless of how relaxed you are or not. But I do think the customers most in need of info from the app are the ones who sort of signed up for a more busy, commando-style trip.
I may be just more annoyed since I am returning to Uni after a break and needed more from the app. I also was using it a lot for wait times and so the filtering annoys me. Also, was using the online ordering for the first time. So I guess I was that first time guest but not in go go go since I have APs. So I imagine my situation is more rare.

It seems a logical, preferable (though far from ideal) solution would be to offer slightly higher quality physical maps for a low price, say one or two quarters. Install coin-operated dispensers by the entry to the parks. Uni gets a new source of revenue (money being the obvious motive) and can cling to the pretense of cutting litter and reducing their carbon footprint while guests who don’t want to wrestle with a lousy app or simply want a cheap souvenir have the option.

Honestly, where this will really sting is HHN. But paper maps have always been a small but integral part of the amusement park experience - opening up the map for the first time on a new park or seeing how a familiar map had changed was special.

Personally, the map had little real value to me once they quit putting show times on it. That was really the most important feature, and unfortunately, they ceased that. I've been to the parks, and know them so well, I could get around blindfolded :). My comments concerning paper maps are primarily concern for the vacationing guests. But I genuinely oppose the trend towards requiring one's phone in their face all day to experience and dine in the parks. Not everyone is into that. It's just a lazy way for management to run their parks. Kind of like the self checkout lines, that are becoming profit liabilities for companies, at stores and supermarkets. Make the customer do your work. Basically the same philosophy.

Reactions: graspthesun
I know we kind of dropped the "Entertainment Cuts" portion of the thread, but I wanted to throw out what I was told about the recent cut shows. They cut them so the performers can start rehearsals for Mardi Gras. And after Mardi Gras, they will start rehearsals for the new streetmosphere shows they will be rolling out this Summer.

I know we kind of dropped the "Entertainment Cuts" portion of the thread, but I wanted to throw out what I was told about the recent cut shows. They cut them so the performers can start rehearsals for Mardi Gras. And after Mardi Gras, they will start rehearsals for the new streetmosphere shows they will be rolling out this Summer.
Good positive info. Thanks Dave.

I wouldn't say struggle. It is clunky compared to how other apps work. Filtering settings not staying, logging you out all the time, food ordering system took me forever, not saving my AP for food ordering, etc. These are all things that I don't see in other apps. I mean I order food on apps all the time and when I click order the confirmation number comes up within seconds. It took me minutes. Heck just getting my subtotal took forever to even click order.
I must be incredibly lucky to have not run into these issues. It will log me out if I haven't opened the app in quite awhile, but during a trip where I'm opening it a lot I haven't had an issue. Mobile ordering also hasn't been an issue!

I'm just a lucky guy I guess, lol

I must be incredibly lucky to have not run into these issues. It will log me out if I haven't opened the app in quite awhile, but during a trip where I'm opening it a lot I haven't had an issue. Mobile ordering also hasn't been an issue!

We tried the app our last visit. It just wouldn't load without glitching. We went to GR, said we can't get this app to work right, and asked for a show schedule. They were being rude so I asked for a manager. A suit came out and said we must be doing it wrong. So Alene said, OK, do it for us. He and the other people at GR tried to load it without it glitching. And tried. And tried. They couldn't get it to work right. So he left, came back, and gave us a show schedule. and....that's the problem. Tech sometimes just doesn't work as it's intended to.

• Sad
We tried the app our last visit. It just wouldn't load without glitching. We went to GR, said we can't get this app to work right, and asked for a show schedule. They were being rude so I asked for a manager. A suit came out and said we must be doing it wrong. So Alene said, OK, do it for us. He and the other people at GR tried to load it without it glitching. And tried. And tried. They couldn't get it to work right. So he left, came back, and gave us a show schedule. and....that's the problem. Tech sometimes just doesn't work as it's intended to.
They funny part is when I went up to lady at the restaurant and showed what my phone was doing and she said yes this happens. So the employees in the restaurants where you have to order online seem to be well aware it is glitchy.

It logs me out in the same day! It was the first and only time we used Mobile ordering. It seems to start glitching after adding my my AP pass. That seemed to start all my issues.

Also, I have a premier pass and it is a known issue that I can't use the app as my ticket. I was told the system gets confused that the bar code works for express and as a ticket and therefore the app can't handle it. Seemed pretty ridiculous that the system "gets confused". I am so used to using my apps for my pass at parks it is odd going back to tickets lol

Also, I have a premier pass and it is a known issue that I can't use the app as my ticket. I was told the system gets confused that the bar code works for express and as a ticket and therefore the app can't handle it. Seemed pretty ridiculous that the system "gets confused". I am so used to using my apps for my pass at parks it is odd going back to tickets lol
This is especially interesting because 2023 was the first year we exclusively used tickets on the app for HHN. We had Rush of Fear with Express, so there was only one bar code for us as well, and we didn't have issues.

The system getting confused with APs and not HHN tickets makes even less sense :lmao:

This is especially interesting because 2023 was the first year we exclusively used tickets on the app for HHN. We had Rush of Fear with Express, so there was only one bar code for us as well, and we didn't have issues.

The system getting confused with APs and not HHN tickets makes even less sense :lmao:
That is crazy. The ticket window lady said don't bother try adding it as it is a known glitch. When I entered park I logged into app and the passes did actually show up since I ordered them under my account, but there is no barcode and you can't use them to enter the park or use them as express.

I just think their app needs a lot of work. I also think they need to allow more customization of their food. Not being able to change out side items on the app or maybe not at all in person is kind of a pain. These small changes could go a long way. Not everyone likes peas or beets.

They funny part is when I went up to lady at the restaurant and showed what my phone was doing and she said yes this happens. So the employees in the restaurants where you have to order online seem to be well aware it is glitchy.
I've had a manager straight up tell me to not use the app after 5 PM as later in the day their servers get confused trying to figure out if the restaurant is even open and whether or not it should accept/place the order... which from my experience still charged me but never placed the order.

I just think their app needs a lot of work. I also think they need to allow more customization of their food. Not being able to change out side items on the app or maybe not at all in person is kind of a pain. These small changes could go a long way. Not everyone likes peas or beets.
Yes actually that's the 2nd thing that I'd change about the app. The customization is very dependent on the dining location for some reason.

I can get no tomato at Krusty Burger but not at Leaky Cauldron?

I can get no guac at La Bamba but I can't get no avocado at Today Cafe? :lmao:

Yes actually that's the 2nd thing that I'd change about the app. The customization is very dependent on the dining location for some reason.

I can get no tomato at Krusty Burger but not at Leaky Cauldron?

I can get no guac at La Bamba but I can't get no avocado at Today Cafe? :lmao:
Can you customize if you go to the register? I almost went up for that but then decided to get something else that didn't have peas and my daughter tried the beet salad and was not a fan at all. No one at our table was. I figured I was done with the app for ordering food anyways so next time would try at the register to customize the food.

The whole ordering process was bad from having to select the restaurant when scanning the QR code at the table to it taking forever to submit the order. It was after 5 PM so maybe that was the issue lol

This makes sense for the Mel’s shows and Sing It!, but what role do the Port of Entry pirates and explorers play in Mardi Gras? Will they be returning afterwards?

Last edited:
Now Wait Until Virtual Line comes back with single time express pass return times,
giphy.gif

Can you customize if you go to the register? I almost went up for that but then decided to get something else that didn't have peas and my daughter tried the beet salad and was not a fan at all. No one at our table was. I figured I was done with the app for ordering food anyways so next time would try at the register to customize the food.

The whole ordering process was bad from having to select the restaurant when scanning the QR code at the table to it taking forever to submit the order. It was after 5 PM so maybe that was the issue lol
I'm not sure, but I could imagine they customize things that aren't already premade! I mean I've ordered a Chicken and Waffle sandwich with no lettuce at the register before - so it may be possible! lol