Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

UOR staff accused of "Fat-Shaming"

lets stop and think here for a moment what is the biggest complaint people have about theme parks.its the long wait time the only reason the waits aren't longer is because they push. now imagine if they didn't push and you waited 2 hours for Kong and see the grouper putting only 4 people in a row because people complain its too tight.you would be super pissed.Also lets say they have this whats to stop someone from trying to sue because their kid wasn't tall enough to ride the ride they wanted.
It's a bit of an extreme exaggeration to think this would increase wait times. The people who are large enough to make this ride uncomfortable are very rare. It's doubtful there would be enough to even fill one car in an hour. So we're talking about an hour wait versus an hour and 2 minute wait here at most. So yeah if I have to wait a few seconds longer and it means they're not going to force a very large person to squeeze in with me I'm okay losing those seconds.

They could eliminate the outside portion and over the course of multiple cycles greatly reduce the wait time. So if wait times are truly everything then how come they don't do that, because it diminishes the experience. Being pressed against the side of the vehicle and not able to turn to the other side also diminishes the experience.

It's a bit of an extreme exaggeration to think this would increase wait times. The people who are large enough to make this ride uncomfortable are very rare. It's doubtful there would be enough to even fill one car in an hour. So we're talking about an hour wait versus an hour and 2 minute wait here at most. So yeah if I have to wait a few seconds longer and it means they're not going to force a very large person to squeeze in with me I'm okay losing those seconds.

They could eliminate the outside portion and over the course of multiple cycles greatly reduce the wait time. So if wait times are truly everything then how come they don't do that, because it diminishes the experience. Being pressed against the side of the vehicle and not able to turn to the other side also diminishes the experience.

Because then they will say "my experience was ruined because we wanted to see the temple doors open and go through them. I've been inconvenienced, I want to speak to your manager" either way you look at it there's always a complain, so ignore and keep pushing the green button.

Rows are that tight.

They should have accommodate better. They treated guests as a number not a person and that’s where they ran into trouble.
I didn't read the whole thread but I will say this sorta happened to me at Na'vi River Journey last time I rode. They sat me in a row that already had two people that are not small themselves. And my behind is not small either. I attempted to sit. They scrunched over and gave me as much room as they could. It was tight so I started to get out, let the CM know I wasn't fitting very well. They made me sit back down, as they were in a hurry trying to get a 2 hour line down and felt the row should accommodate this many guests.

First time I rode the ride, just me and my girlfriend got our own row, which seemed just right, and made for a romantic ride even. When I ride Pirates of the Caribbean as a single rider they usually let me have the last row to myself, since there's room, and that way I'm not tacked onto someone else's family. But because this ride is popular they're trying to get the most people on it as possible and I had a terrible time because of it. I tried not to ruin it for the couple next to me by squeezing as far to the left as I could, twisting my body and contorting, but it shouldn't have had to come to that.

More than anything, they made those boats too small if you ask me. But trying to squeeze in more than they can hold isn't helping matters either. No, it's certainly not fat shaming, but it's not the best guest service in my opinion when a guest tells you they don't fit and you make them sit anyway.

On a somewhat related note I have lost 20 lbs since then. Trying to diet and eat better (when not tempted by Lumpia and Night Blossoms that is.)

I didn't read the whole thread but I will say this sorta happened to me at Na'vi River Journey last time I rode. They sat me in a row that already had two people that are not small themselves. And my behind is not small either. I attempted to sit. They scrunched over and gave me as much room as they could. It was tight so I started to get out, let the CM know I wasn't fitting very well. They made me sit back down, as they were in a hurry trying to get a 2 hour line down and felt the row should accommodate this many guests.

First time I rode the ride, just me and my girlfriend got our own row, which seemed just right, and made for a romantic ride even. When I ride Pirates of the Caribbean as a single rider they usually let me have the last row to myself, since there's room, and that way I'm not tacked onto someone else's family. But because this ride is popular they're trying to get the most people on it as possible and I had a terrible time because of it. I tried not to ruin it for the couple next to me by squeezing as far to the left as I could, twisting my body and contorting, but it shouldn't have had to come to that.

More than anything, they made those boats too small if you ask me. But trying to squeeze in more than they can hold isn't helping matters either. No, it's certainly not fat shaming, but it's not the best guest service in my opinion when a guest tells you they don't fit and you make them sit anyway.

On a somewhat related note I have lost 20 lbs since then. Trying to diet and eat better (when not tempted by Lumpia and Night Blossoms that is.)

I did not read the article, just surprised by Kong as I have never too packed on that one.

To me, both your experience and I assume what happened on Kong should be avoidable by the shorter. I get they are overworked, underpaid, and stressed by managers.

Personally, i’ve liked UoR for many of their bench rides seem to have decent staging areas...but a lack of kids, a run of larger guest can cause a lot of quick decisions.

I’m not that big though...but my weight has fluctuated many times in my lifetime. When it comes to parks...I still recall riding in a stranger’s lap on space mountain in it’s original ride vehicles, my how times have changed!

Congrats on your recent weight loss!

To anyone else....if the parks can keep experienced people in the sort position, I would hope most guest experience a comfortable ride...but i’ve Seen people at many parks switch placement on their own when your on a load platform that pre queues you into your row.

UNI has its flaws like the splits they can on DM, but thankfully, I do not recall small boats being at UNI yet.

I find Universal uses the squeeze as many people in to X space as possible...Not sure why, but that is how it feels

For instance, the pre-show room in MIB

I could see how someone of plussed dimensions would have trouble in such an area

Congrats, I went in in for a physical and my Blood sugar was over 300 and my A1C wad so high it didn't register. That all happen since my last bloodwork two years prior which showe'd no concerns, not even cholesterol even thought I was a big boy at 6'2 and 320lbs. I got the talk and in 8 months I eat better and dropped down to 265. My A1C is under 6. I felt like I got surprise and nod from above when they upped the weights on the capsuLe slides at Volcano Bay to 270 on the day I was there.

I've gone from one click on the B&M big boy seats to 2 clicks on B&M regular seats. I will say, I never got the walk of shame, ever. Most did their best to get me stapled in.