Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 111 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh so yeah, that's a basic layout of VB there. Low-res zoom here:
Cla2VnqUYAA5qAr.jpg:large

Holy crap.

i'd love to see a closer look at what kong looks like on that map

I don't really pay much attention to the detail for VB on that map. If you compare it to the details of the lands and attractions at IOA, on the same map, they too are quite far from accurate. And those are known attractions. Just typical art to draw attention to the attraction. Much ado about nothing at this point in time. I need a lot more detailed info to form an opinion.

Reactions: Dan B and Mike S
I don't really pay much attention to the detail for VB on that map. If you compare it to the details of the lands and attractions at IOA, on the same map, they too are quite far from accurate. And those are known attractions. Just typical art to draw attention to the attraction. Much ado about nothing at this point in time. I need a lot more detailed info to form an opinion.
I'm not sure I see what your seeing. The artwork is designed so that each attraction can be pointed out and labeled. It doesn't have the detail of the regular map and is far more stylized but I don't see any innacuracies in the artwork, other than proportions. I think it's one of those thing where some stuff in the artwork will make more sense when we actually know what it is. Looking at an older version of this art work it seems to cover quite a few things considering the scale of things. This certainly isn't as vaque as concept art.

http://magicaldistractions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2015-01-28-at-1.06.57-PM.png

I'm not sure I see what your seeing. The artwork is designed so that each attraction can be pointed out and labeled. It doesn't have the detail of the regular map and is far more stylized but I don't see any innacuracies in the artwork, other than proportions. I think it's one of those thing where some stuff in the artwork will make more sense when we actually know what it is. Looking at an older version of this art work it seems to cover quite a few things considering the scale of things. This certainly isn't as vaque as concept art.

http://magicaldistractions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Screen-Shot-2015-01-28-at-1.06.57-PM.png
Still, it's kind of a stylistic impression emphasizing highlights. Just like they did with the Kong Island/attraction insert on the map, and that's new, where so much of the ride appears outdoors. Sure, it's not as vague as concept art, but it's not far above it. The Universal Orlando maps have always been a somewhat cartoonish look at things. Just as the hotel resorts on the map are far from exact looks or size representations. Their specifics on the map are far from the real thing. I'm basically saying that the meat is in the details, and you get very few true details in a representation like this. Heh, it's something nice to look at and gawk at. But it's not the real thing. And that's why I'm not going to pick at it and try to tear it's details apart until I get some real information. Maybe discussion on some generalities, but specific details no way. Just my own personal view of things. I just don't see it as earth shattering as something like a blue print or the final photo when it's done. The final product might end up looking quite different that that.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan B
Still, it's kind of a stylistic impression emphasizing highlights. Just like they did with the Kong Island/attraction insert on the map, and that's new, where so much of the ride appears outdoors. Sure, it's not as vague as concept art, but it's not far above it. The Universal Orlando maps have always been a somewhat cartoonish look at things. Just as the hotel resorts on the map are far from exact looks or size representations. Their specifics on the map are far from the real thing. I'm basically saying that the meat is in the details, and you get very few true details in a representation like this. Heh, it's something nice to look at and gawk at. But it's not the real thing. And that's why I'm not going to pick at it and try to tear it's details apart until I get some real information.
Yeah, I thinks it's enough so you can tell that there'll be slide in a particular place and such but you not going to find a bar or restroom on it.:)

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yeah, I thinks it's enough so you can tell that there'll be slide in a particular place and such but you not going to find a bar or restroom on it.:)
Yeah, to a degree, but we don't really know what the slides will end up looking like from ground level. Or, if they're even the same configuration. And, as you said, bars, eating spots, all the other stuff that goes into theming & looks. We really won't be able to tell if it's themed as well as BB & Typhoon until it's done. I'm just saying there's some info there, but not enough to discuss the actual merits of the park at this stage. There's just not enough specific info yet.:)

Reactions: Dan B and s8film40
Yeah, to a degree, but we don't really know what the slides will end up looking like from ground level. Or, if they're even the same configuration. And, as you said, bars, eating spots, all the other stuff that goes into theming & looks. We really won't be able to tell if it's themed as well as BB & Typhoon until it's done. I'm just saying there's some info there, but not enough to discuss the actual merits of the park at this stage. There's just not enough specific info yet.:)
And don't forget the screens...those wont be on the map

Does anyone know why there are always nets over the LIM parts of watercoasters? I figure it's some safety reason but I'm not sure why when other portions are uncovered. Just curious...

I think it's because the rafts don't always make it up the hill. If they get stuck or fall back, they don't want people to have the chance to get out the raft and fall over.

Reactions: universal_fanatic

Yeah not a fan of this TBH. It's a cheat, and a particularly disheartening one. I know those privy to more info say that VB is more detailed than it looks, but let's cut the horsecrap and admit that this will at least be around the same level as Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach in terms of theme and grandeur. So what makes this a "theme park" and not what it is: a "water park" which not even Disney is fine advertising them as.

What I'm hoping is that the IDW ad is intended for international promotion but thinking back to the term "water theme park", I have my doubts. It's a ballsy and troubling move IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.