Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 246 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I went through @AliciaStella's new update and some aerials from MickeyXtreme and Bioreconstruct to try to piece together what is what:

The Volcano
At the heart of the island stands Krakatau™, the mighty Fire and Water Volcano. Towering 200 feet above the tropical landscape, Krakatau streams waterfalls during the day and fiery lava effects at night. Inside the cavernous volcano the Waturi people dare you to brave a variety of heart-pounding water slides.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Krakatau.jpg

Krakatau™ Aqua Coaster
Honorary Waturi can experience the power of Krakatau™ on this amazing ride. Four-person canoes slide upward through the mists and into the dark twists and turns within the volcano before emerging with a plunge through a shimmering waterfall.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Krakatau-Aqua-Coaster-1170x731.jpg

02022017VB18.jpg

Ko’okiri Body Plunge
Join in the centuries-old tradition of honoring the volcano god, Vol, by braving the incredible Ko’okiri Body Plunge. Featuring a 70-degree fall through a drop door and 125 feet of screaming, white-knuckle fun, this dizzying descent ends with a watery tribute from Vol himself. It will be the world’s first slide to travel through a pool filled with guests.
01162.MTS_.Still006.jpg

Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides
Join Kala and Tai Nui where sea and sky meet and take a leap of faith from high atop the volcano. Twin trap doors simultaneously drop two guests down 124-foot-long clear, intertwining tubes before sending them joyfully splashing into the turquoise waters below.
01162.MTS_.Still010.jpg

Punga Racers
A favorite among Waturi children of all ages, Punga Racers send single riders on their manta ray mats sliding down four lanes through underwater sea caves.
C12HuEEWEAEjQxY.jpg

Wave Village
This peaceful escape overlooks the sparkling waters of Waturi Beach at the base of the volcano.

Waturi Beach
Locals know — the surf’s always up at Waturi Beach. Swim, splash and relax right along with them in the sparkling waters and warm waves of this sparkling lagoon at the foot of mighty Krakatau™. A sparkling, multi-directional wave pool where you can swim, relax on the sand or indulge in private, one- or two-story cabanas.
02022017VB7.jpg

The Reef
An adjacent leisure pool with calmer waters and exciting views of riders speeding through the Ko’okiri Body Plunge.
02022017VB19.jpg

River Village
The scenic River Village has fun for people of all ages, including the very youngest Waturi.

Honu ika Moana
Just like the ancient Waturi people who rode the ocean waves on friendly sea turtles and whales, guests can enjoy these two twisting, turning, multi-person slides. Honu sweeps up two massive walls, while ika Moana sprays water on riders from the center of the raft.
Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-4.jpg

02022017VB2.jpg

Tot Tiki Reef + Runamukka Reef
The little ones can frolic among the splashy slides and fountains of the Tot Tiki Reef toddler play area, while Runamukka Reef delights older children with its bubbling geysers, water guns, slides and dump cups.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Runamukka-Reef.jpg

02022017VB21.jpg

Kopiko Wai Winding River

Take a slow ride on the Kopiko Wai Winding River. Sprays of water surprise along the way, and beneath the lava rocks, Stargazer’s Cavern reveals the magical night sky above.
Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-3.jpg

Universals-Volcano-Bay-Star-Gazers.jpg

C12IxzSXUAUa0dn.jpg

Rainforest Village
Rainforest Village stretches along the shores of an action-packed river and features the perfect mix of relaxation and exhilaration.

Ohyah + Ohno Drop Slides
Test your mettle and get into the Waturi spirit. Ascend cliff side and plummet down the twisting waters of Ohyah before dropping out four feet above the pool below. To achieve even greater bragging rights, brave the rope bridge and plunge down Ohno, a serpentine adventure that ends six feet above the pool below. Be sure to yell your battle cry on the way down.
Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-2.jpg

02022017VB9.jpg

Maku Puihi Raft Rides
Ready for the high adventure of the Maku Puihi lava tubes? This six-person rafting adventure is a favorite of Waturi families, but it’s not for the faint of heart. Choose one of two paths or try them both—just be ready for a thrilling ride. Puihi careens through a dark, winding tunnel before the stomach-flipping thrill of zero gravity hang time. Maku slides you through a deep volcanic gorge before spinning wildly around bowl-like formations.
C12ItXsXEAAVmyd.jpg

TeAwa The Fearless River
Up for an adventure? Take a thrilling whitewater ride along TeAwa The Fearless River. Race along a roaring, watery onslaught of churning rapids and choppy waves hanging tight to your inner tube.
02022017VB12.jpg

Taniwha Tubes
There’s a place where the puka trees grow abnormally tall. Inspired by their twisting roots, the Waturi built four twisting water slides called the Taniwha Tubes. Riders can try all four twisting tracks, but beware — mischievous tiki statues spray jets of water when you least expect it.
C12G8MuW8AAEA8x.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so I went through @AliciaStella's new update and some aerials from MickeyXtreme and Bioreconstruct to try to piece together what is what:

The Volcano
At the heart of the island stands Krakatau™, the mighty Fire and Water Volcano. Towering 200 feet above the tropical landscape, Krakatau streams waterfalls during the day and fiery lava effects at night. Inside the cavernous volcano the Waturi people dare you to brave a variety of heart-pounding water slides.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Krakatau.jpg

Krakatau™ Aqua Coaster
Honorary Waturi can experience the power of Krakatau™ on this amazing ride. Four-person canoes slide upward through the mists and into the dark twists and turns within the volcano before emerging with a plunge through a shimmering waterfall.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Krakatau-Aqua-Coaster-1170x731.jpg

01162.MTS_.Still015.jpg

Ko’okiri Body Plunge
Join in the centuries-old tradition of honoring the volcano god, Vol, by braving the incredible Ko’okiri Body Plunge. Featuring a 70-degree fall through a drop door and 125 feet of screaming, white-knuckle fun, this dizzying descent ends with a watery tribute from Vol himself.
01162.MTS_.Still006.jpg

Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides
Join Kala and Tai Nui where sea and sky meet and take a leap of faith from high atop the volcano. Twin trap doors simultaneously drop two guests down clear, intertwining tubes before sending them joyfully splashing into the turquoise waters below.
01162.MTS_.Still010.jpg

Punga Racers
A favorite among Waturi children of all ages, Punga Racers send single riders on their manta ray mats sliding down four lanes through underwater sea caves.
C12HuEEWEAEjQxY.jpg

Wave Village
This peaceful escape overlooks the sparkling waters of Waturi Beach at the base of the volcano.

Waturi Beach
Locals know — the surf’s always up at Waturi Beach. Swim, splash and relax right along with them in the sparkling waters and warm waves of this sparkling lagoon at the foot of mighty Krakatau™.
C12Hxh8WgAAfkNj.jpg

The Reef
An adjacent leisure pool with calmer waters and exciting views of riders speeding through the Ko’okiri Body Plunge.
P1090085.jpg

River Village
The scenic River Village has fun for people of all ages, including the very youngest Waturi.

Honu ika Moana
Just like the ancient Waturi people who rode the ocean waves on friendly sea turtles and whales, guests can enjoy these two twisting, turning, multi-person slides. Honu sweeps up two massive walls, while ika Moana sprays water on riders from the center of the raft.
Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-4.jpg

P1090053.jpg

Tot Tiki Reef + Runamukka Reef
The little ones can frolic among the splashy slides and fountains of the Tot Tiki Reef toddler play area, while Runamukka Reef delights older children with its bubbling geysers, water guns, slides and dump cups.
Universals-Volcano-Bay-Runamukka-Reef.jpg

*(I don't think construction has really made this area super apparent yet)*

Kopiko Wai Winding River

Take a slow ride on the Kopiko Wai Winding River. Sprays of water surprise along the way, and beneath the lava rocks, Stargazer’s Cavern reveals the magical night sky above.
Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-3.jpg

Universals-Volcano-Bay-Star-Gazers.jpg

C12IxzSXUAUa0dn.jpg

Rainforest Village
Rainforest Village stretches along the shores of an action-packed river and features the perfect mix of relaxation and exhilaration.

Ohyah + Ohno Drop Slides
Test your mettle and get into the Waturi spirit. Ascend cliff side and plummet down the twisting waters of Ohyah before dropping out four feet above the pool below. To achieve even greater bragging rights, brave the rope bridge and plunge down Ohno, a serpentine adventure that ends six feet above the pool below. Be sure to yell your battle cry on the way down.
Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-2.jpg

01519.MTS_.Still001.jpg

Maku Puihi Raft Rides
Ready for the high adventure of the Maku Puihi lava tubes? This six-person rafting adventure is a favorite of Waturi families, but it’s not for the faint of heart. Choose one of two paths or try them both—just be ready for a thrilling ride. Puihi careens through a dark, winding tunnel before the stomach-flipping thrill of zero gravity hang time. Maku slides you through a deep volcanic gorge before spinning wildly around bowl-like formations.
C12ItXsXEAAVmyd.jpg

TeAwa The Fearless River
Up for an adventure? Take a thrilling whitewater ride along TeAwa The Fearless River. Race along a roaring, watery onslaught of churning rapids and choppy waves hanging tight to your inner tube.
C12HKRVXEAE_js_.jpg

Taniwha Tubes
There’s a place where the puka trees grow abnormally tall. Inspired by their twisting roots, the Waturi built four twisting water slides called the Taniwha Tubes. Riders can try all four twisting tracks, but beware — mischievous tiki statues spray jets of water when you least expect it.
C12G8MuW8AAEA8x.jpg

Nice compilation!

The descriptive text is throwing me...

Anyone spy these spraying tikis or tall trees or volcanic gorge...? And how does that one slide spray from the center of the raft?

Rafts with built in water jets. And ironic all slides with descriptive text aren't translucent based on photos so I'm guessing screen based/projection technology.

Hours for June are posted on the calendar for Volcano Bay. No hours for May 25-31 have posted as of this writing. Curiously, the only date with hours posted for July is July 5.

Even in the Summer, the closing times of 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM should allow for night rides, as well as the full effect of the volcanic eruption.

Rafts with built in water jets. And ironic all slides with descriptive text aren't translucent based on photos so I'm guessing screen based/projection technology.

That's what i don't get either.. they mention scenery that's not physically there (it's a bit late in the game to build a gorge..) and one even mentions being see-through when it's plainly not from what we can see of it. And that one with the water jets.. should share the same rafts as the adjacent slide, which appears to have no such jets. I'm confused.

If you're waiting til 2018, the Brightline may be open by then for a direct rail route from ORL to PBI to FLL to MIA. That means plenty more options for flying.

Currently the West Palm Beach - Ft. Lauderdale - Miami section is scheduled to open this year with Orlando connection "soon after". Personally, I cannot wait for this to open. The Ft. Lauderdale station is about 2 miles from my house, so soon I will be able to start drinking while traveling to Orlando on Brightline (or finishing up some work if needed to leave earlier on Friday).

Earlier this year, BA was under 600 r/t for London out of MCO. We did the kitchen this year, next will be the back yard (pool, outdoor kitchen, fireplace, pergola ) we'll play the reward card game again and have plenty of points to cover our flights to Europe then as well. The home is paid for, we are still making the monthly payments into an account paying from that.

I had some Grandparents that drill fiscal responsibility into my scull. Must be why I still drive the same truck I bought in 2002. We now enjoy stellar vacations.

That trainline also makes cruising from Miami or FL easier. Lot's of new ships for Miami in the future. I had a Great Aunt that lived in Boca Raton, loved to visit.

Still not bad but was much cheaper earlier for nonstops
Screenshot_2017-01-27-00-13-07.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel
I think this is a difficult one to compare but the overall impression I get is that most people are more excited for VB than Avatar.

This is another step into making Universal more of a one stop resort which should worry Disney.
The excitement I don't question. What I'm saying is overall Animal Kingdom from a general standpoint will have millions more visitors than Volcano Bay especially during the course of the fiscal year. Avatar has a movie coming out (hopefully two more) so there will bea longer run of "Excitement" than Volcano Bay. I'll haveto disagree here Scott. Disney shouldn't worry.

Reactions: SeventyOne
To add to this slightly, I think Universal are going to see a huge benefit of having their hotels so close to the parks. CB, SF and Aventurea once it opens are all a small walk away which makes the hotels even better value.
This will definitely make a difference. I know some people simply choose resorts and hotels due to proximity of their MO while visiting.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The excitement I don't question. What I'm saying is overall Animal Kingdom from a general standpoint will have millions more visitors than Volcano Bay especially during the course of the fiscal year. Avatar has a movie coming out (hopefully two more) so there will bea longer run of "Excitement" than Volcano Bay. I'll haveto disagree here Scott. Disney shouldn't worry.

I agree- but only because these two expansions are apples and oranges.
Where I disagree is that Disney shouldn't worry. I would wager that once those tea attendance numbers come out for the 2018 year, that we see volcano bay holding down that 1 spot over blizzard beach and typhoon lagoon. And the only reason they wouldn't is because they chose to keep prices higher to keep attendance down and make it more profitable.

No one would have argued wet n wild as being better themed than either TL or BB. This will not only bring up the conversation, but if the technology stands out like I think it will, it will have people talking about how VB is "on another level".

Just remember that miss fortune or is it miss adventure now wouldn't be happening if Disney weren't trying to counterpunch in some manner. Neither would the scale of the DHS expansion (or Pandora for that matter). Almost all new growth st Disney can be attributed to universal. So thanks to Mr Davis and the team for improving both resorts ;)

Financially speaking this will affect Disney. Families who normally do 4 days at Disney and one day at Universal will be enticed to only do 3 days at Disney and 2 at Universal. Or if they've always had an extra free day on their vacation and usually do Disney Springs, they might decide to try Volcano Bay. Families don't usually add days to their vacation and they might decide that Hollywood Studios isn't worth it.

I don't see this as competing with Avatar directly, but it has the potential to pull another day away from WDW or for that matter, entice people to stay at Universal during their trip down to see the new additions including Avatar.

And if this does affect revenue at Disney, Avatar will widely be perceived as not have as big of an impact that people expect.

No one would have argued wet n wild as being better themed than either TL or BB.
Sure, the landscaping and park design may not have been as good as TL or BB, but most of the actual rides at WNW had an actual theme. Look at Disco H2O, for example. The music and disco lights really added to the ride. Or Brainwash, which had an actual storyline if you listen to the speakers as you go up the stairs. Plus, how many other waterslides use a video projector? WnW really did some innovative stuff, and I don't think they get enough credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.