Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 405 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously everyone is different. As a kid I would have been far more afraid of the slides seeing them as they are now, but hidden I'd likely be far less scared, as I'd have no idea what I was in store for. Also as a kid I'd have been able to understand, big scary volcano = big scary rides.

I think this is a valid point. The long walk up the stairs should be a big enough clue to what you're in for as well.

I think showing the goods is also a good way to bring people in, I have no doubt that once people see the big slides, they will flock towards it.

Weirdly, the hidden coaster ending to Journey to Atlantis is the only reason I ended up going on roller coasters as a kid. I was terrified of them and had I known what it was like, there is zero chance I would have ridden it.

Reactions: Joel and Alicia
Untrue, but still a gorgeous park. I mean, all the buildings have vinyl tight colourful roofing... how in theme is that?
Very. They are directly inspired from actual designs from Thailand and Japan.

Just like the temples are inspired by pre-Incan South American cultures. As demonstrated by Thor Heyerdahl with his epic journey on Kon-Tiki in 1947.

FWIW, it's very easy to make these complaints of exposed supports and whatever else based on pictures and aerials from outside the park. But once you're walking around on the ground level, I doubt you'll even notice.

Reactions: Quint
Apologies for the crude paint edit but I do enjoy all the talk of sight lines from within the lazy river.
ziops4.png

So the picture is just a screen grab from the 4k drone footage from a few days back. The red arrows are the flow of the river, with the blue arrows pointing at the extra rock work they put in, which I assume was to block out that view of the supports while the rest will be done with some well placed palms. Am I right in thinking once past the edge of the volcano the rest of the lazy within is fully enclosed? So those nasty sights should only be viewable from the stairs around the area.

Edit: Also once you're in the water you really won't see much with laying back on a ring with a margarita in hand.

ziops4.png

Last edited:
Apparently the back of the Volcano is open and you can see slide supports. This was a big shock to some people.

Oh.

Did that really need to be brought back from the dead? We have torn it apart far too many times to count, I wouldn't be even able to make the "STOP IT, IT'S ALREADY DEAD" joke, because we have gone past the point of idiocy of how far a subject like that could go.

That said, I have said my opinions of it, and I will leave it as that.

And with that, ITM has a video of the Body Plunge being testing in terms of the water.

Reactions: Joel and Scott W.
Oh.

Did that really need to be brought back from the dead? We have torn it apart far too many times to count, I wouldn't be even able to make the "STOP IT, IT'S ALREADY DEAD" joke, because we have gone past the point of idiocy of how far a subject like that could go.

That said, I have said my opinions of it, and I will leave it as that.

And with that, ITM has a video of the Body Plunge being testing in terms of the water.

I'm sure it's not but it looks like the water is flowing into the tube from all sides.

I am confused. What do people want done with the back side of the mountain and why are exposed slide supports a problem? If the mountain was a fully enclosed cone shape you would literally be sliding in pitch dark on all three slides plus the water coaster. Your climb to the top would be all inside where you wouldn't see much other than claustrophobic cave rock that would most likely feel overbearing and dull. The only benefit I see to a fully enclosed mountain is that the action river would have a cave. That would be nice.

The way it is now, the volcano itself is 100% fully themed rock work a full 360 degrees. There is no exposed mountain steel. The only exposed steel supports are for the slides and stairs. I think the stair supports will get themed. The slide supports are OK to me. As stated earlier in the thread, the theme is that the slides were ADDED to the volcano, not a PART of the volcano.

The only thing I find unfortunate is that the water coaster design is basically intertwined with the slide supports. I think it would have been better if the water coaster didn't zig zag at the base of the volcano and was more spread out around the park with just a couple of passes through the volcano to start and end the slide.

Can anyone tell me what they expected to see done with the slide supports?

Reactions: Joel
This isn't really a heated argument, it's just some people(me) would like to see a full volcano whiles others just would Ignore such a thing, but I'm sure the average tourist would even be shocked to see a half done structure considering how amazing it looked from the front , it's just a little weird ya kno :shrug:

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
Status
Not open for further replies.