Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 215 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I will be heading to UO in a couple weeks! I'm excited to visit Volcano Bay in the winter for the first time to see the park when it is (hopefully) less busy. For those who have been there in January/early February how have the lines been? Is everything walk on except the coaster and drop slides?

Also, i know most of the water is heated but i'm hoping for at least upper 70s when I go. fingers crossed. haha!

For January - so far - everything has been a "Ride Now." I imagine early February most things will be a Ride Now as well.

Now as @Mad Dog mentioned, the high is going to be in the mid-80s for all of next week. Sunday of MLK weekend and the rest of that week, it looks like as of now the high might be in the low 70s.

I hope you get lucky and we get some nice weather for your visit. :)

I will be heading to UO in a couple weeks! I'm excited to visit Volcano Bay in the winter for the first time to see the park when it is (hopefully) less busy. For those who have been there in January/early February how have the lines been? Is everything walk on except the coaster and drop slides?

Also, i know most of the water is heated but i'm hoping for at least upper 70s when I go. fingers crossed. haha!

It’ll be a breeze. Most likely it will be you and Brazilians.

If you’re on-site, take advantage of the extra hour still. Even though it’ll be slow, it’ll still get busier and busier as the day progresses.

Reactions: 1.21Gigawatts
No word of any expansion for this year from the recent blog post:
I wouldn't expect them to say anything about a VB expansion in a blog post like that. The only thing mentioned that hasn't been announced is they hint at something happening in JP.

Just like what is going on in CityWalk, anything that would happen in VB wouldn't be open this year anyway.

There's movement on the expansion, there's smoke.
How so?

Opening didn’t quite go as smoothly as one hoped. Getting the park to function as they intended became the priority.
Agreed. But they had it pretty much settled after the first year/year and a half.

I just assume at that point, everything was good enough. Attendance was good. They weren’t overwhelmed. Advertising is still great for it. They had great reviews once they got it ironed out, etc. So why spend the money on an expansion?

Honestly, the only reason I see them doing it now would be because of the 2,050 rooms about to come online with Dockside. And if they were going to expand, they should’ve had it open when Dockside did. It should only take a few months, and they could’ve knocked it out last off-season (starting in ~October).

Why they would start now just doesn’t make much sense; unless the expansion is going to be much more complex than we were thinking (lots of rock work vs a couple new tower complexes). Either way, I’m all for an expansion as VB is my favorite water park in the world and the one thing I’m always looking forward to every single time I head to UOR.

Reactions: Journey_On
How so?

Agreed. But they had it pretty much settled after the first year/year and a half.

I just assume at that point, everything was good enough. Attendance was good. They weren’t overwhelmed. Advertising is still great for it. They had great reviews once they got it ironed out, etc. So why spend the money on an expansion?

Honestly, the only reason I see them doing it now would be because of the 2,050 rooms about to come online with Dockside. And if they were going to expand, they should’ve had it open when Dockside did. It should only take a few months, and they could’ve knocked it out last off-season (starting in ~October).

Why they would start now just doesn’t make much sense; unless the expansion is going to be much more complex than we were thinking (lots of rock work vs a couple new tower complexes). Either way, I’m all for an expansion as VB is my favorite water park in the world and the one thing I’m always looking forward to every single time I head to UOR.
This could be for 2022, if they are doing a good bit of theming.

How so?

You’re going to hate me and rail against vague insiders, but i can’t say right now. Brian can vouch.

As for why I have some guesses with no inside info. Getting the park functioning first was important and probably put this on the back burner. But I also think Universal might have froze additions after all the issues ProSlide had with capacity and design. If they were looking to resolve issues and possible legal action they were probably advised to not purchase anything new through them. That probably put a hold on anything. So now that they’re looking to add makes me think Uni and ProSlide have worked something out.

I have some hypothesis on how things can go from here on out but they’re guesses.

So while I have been doing a ton of research and reading, I'm a total noob when it comes to Volcano Bay. Been to Universal many times but never VB.

Our upcoming trip in March will be the first time trying out VB, and it also happens to be during a very busy period (spring break). So looking for some advice from seasoned veterans.

Planning on doing a morning (or 2) nwith early entry to try and do as much as possible. Then leave once it gets too busy and go to IOA/USF since we'll have EPs.

Question. During the busiest seasons, how quickly does it get really busy at the park? With VB opening at 10:00 (Early entry at 9:00), how long does it typically stay "sane" until the park gets over-crowded?

So while I have been doing a ton of research and reading, I'm a total noob when it comes to Volcano Bay. Been to Universal many times but never VB.

Our upcoming trip in March will be the first time trying out VB, and it also happens to be during a very busy period (spring break). So looking for some advice from seasoned veterans.

Planning on doing a morning (or 2) nwith early entry to try and do as much as possible. Then leave once it gets too busy and go to IOA/USF since we'll have EPs.

Question. During the busiest seasons, how quickly does it get really busy at the park? With VB opening at 10:00 (Early entry at 9:00), how long does it typically stay "sane" until the park gets over-crowded?

Until 11ish usually.

I'll give you my tips: Not sure if you're alone or with family/friends- but everyone needs to get there early and wait at a podium. Just like always, people love lines. So if there is an empty podium with no line, go to it. A TM will be at every podium (most will have 2 per during busy times).
Quick note: Make sure you have towels from the pool of the hotel youre coming from the day before you go to VB.

If you're at the front of the podium, have your party occupy both sides- that way if there's 2, you're covered without a line splitting and you being unaware, you'll also get your party in twice as fast. Everyone put their sunscreen on there and take off shoes, cover ups, etc 2-3 mins before opening and give them to the "lounge chair guy/gal" or whoever has the longest legs/moves the fastest. Everyone except the LCG goes straight to krakatau coaster. The "LCG" will fast walk to the sitting area (right in front of the volcano or wherever you want). Throw the towels on however many chairs you need kick off their shoes and then head to Krakatau as well. Don't do lockers- don't even mess with them this early.

If you do this, you should get 2-3 rides on Krakatau before getting out. Even during busy season. I've gotten 6 before without getting out of the canoe- and that's with a (then) 5 year old in tow.

Everything else is personal preference. But you should be "Krakatau'd out" and way ahead of the crowd if you use that first 5 minutes wisely.

How early would you recommend getting there?
I don't know for certain. 30 minutes is usually enough. People just line up behind one another and don't form new lines. I seem to always bypass everyone.
Same thing with IOA- I'll show up 30 mins early and be first on Hagrid's. People love lines. Like a bunch of lemmings.

That, and they just aren't used to parks like all of us are and they're afraid of making a mistake.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Until 11ish usually.

I'll give you my tips: Not sure if you're alone or with family/friends- but everyone needs to get there early and wait at a podium. Just like always, people love lines. So if there is an empty podium with no line, go to it. A TM will be at every podium (most will have 2 per during busy times).
Quick note: Make sure you have towels from the pool of the hotel youre coming from the day before you go to VB.

If you're at the front of the podium, have your party occupy both sides- that way if there's 2, you're covered without a line splitting and you being unaware, you'll also get your party in twice as fast. Everyone put their sunscreen on there and take off shoes, cover ups, etc 2-3 mins before opening and give them to the "lounge chair guy/gal" or whoever has the longest legs/moves the fastest. Everyone except the LCG goes straight to krakatau coaster. The "LCG" will fast walk to the sitting area (right in front of the volcano or wherever you want). Throw the towels on however many chairs you need kick off their shoes and then head to Krakatau as well. Don't do lockers- don't even mess with them this early.

If you do this, you should get 2-3 rides on Krakatau before getting out. Even during busy season. I've gotten 6 before without getting out of the canoe- and that's with a (then) 5 year old in tow.

Everything else is personal preference. But you should be "Krakatau'd out" and way ahead of the crowd if you use that first 5 minutes wisely.

Thanks for all of this. This is great info.

Couple of follow up questions on the above.

By "Podiums" are you basically referring to "turnstyles" to get into the park? That they're just podiums that TM's stand in to scan your ticket?

I was thinking of making our home base loungers at Hammerhead beach by the Fearless river, which when looking at the park map "seems" to be somewhat close to Krakatau entrance (past it and just past the Tanihwa tubes). It's hard to tell though looking at the park map and gauge distance wher exactly where walking paths are. Is this a good plan or will I be doubling back too far from Hammerhead beach to get back to Krakatau?

By "Podiums" are you basically referring to "turnstyles" to get into the park? That they're just podiums that TM's stand in to scan your ticket?
Yes, that exactly. Just podiums they stand behind like if you were checking into a restaurant for a dining reservations (but they're "wood").

I was thinking of making our home base loungers at Hammerhead beach by the Fearless river, which when looking at the park map "seems" to be somewhat close to Krakatau entrance (past it and just past the Tanihwa tubes). It's hard to tell though looking at the park map and gauge distance wher exactly where walking paths are. Is this a good plan or will I be doubling back too far from Hammerhead beach to get back to Krakatau?
Good seats- but bad plan. Only because that area isn't open the first hour during early entry- they'll stop you at the bridge before Tanihwa (Tanihwa won't be open either). So you can just temporarily setup somewhere and move there once that section opens for the general public at 10am (or whatever "opening" time is).

Reactions: JoeCamel
Yes, that exactly. Just podiums they stand behind like if you were checking into a restaurant for a dining reservations (but they're "wood").

Good seats- but bad plan. Only because that area isn't open the first hour during early entry- they'll stop you at the bridge before Tanihwa (Tanihwa won't be open either). So you can just temporarily setup somewhere and move there once that section opens for the general public at 10am (or whatever "opening" time is).

More excellent advice. Greatly appreciated.

How about the loungers near the Lazy river? See attached. Would that be a decent enough plan for rope drop?

Edit - Or should I stay just to the right of the volcano. From the map I can't quite tell if you can get to Krakatau just along the side of the volcano or if I have to go around like in the path I drew.

Attachments

• VB Plan.jpg
    VB Plan.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 23
More excellent advice. Greatly appreciated.

How about the loungers near the Lazy river? See attached. Would that be a decent enough plan for rope drop?

Edit - Or should I stay just to the right of the volcano. From the map I can't quite tell if you can get to Krakatau just along the side of the volcano or if I have to go around like in the path I drew.
That works. That's the quickest path to Krakatau and how your guests will go regardless of where you go with towels/stuff. Bad location for loungers unless you have little kids. But if you're going to move close to fearless, it works perfect.

The good thing about near fearless is they have "cabanas" over there with ceiling fans and it's free. The bad thing is there are a ton of people, so it won't be "peaceful". But Fearless river is amazing. So that's a pretty prime spot for sure.

Thanks again. Ya I wanted to have our home base for the day at Fearless because once the rides we want have waits on the tapu tapu, I figure we're going to be spending our time in the Fearless River while waiting.

So for the first hour we'll dump our stuff at the slow winding river, then move over to Fearless river once it opens.

I'm not messing around with the lockers. I have a small lock box that can attach and lock to a lounger to store our valuables for the day (i.e. phones).

Do you recommend just doing Krakatau a bunch in the first hour and then move on to other slides (because they won't be busy yet come 10:00) or should we try to do others in that first hour that will get busy come regular open?

My priority for slides we want to do are:

1. Krakatau
2. Ko’okiri Body Plunge
3. Serpentine Body Slides
4. Honu/Ika Moana

Last edited: